Author Topic: Rae / Wright  (Read 10650 times)

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rae / Wright
« Reply #18 on: Friday 03 August 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Xchilli, looks like we share some great grandparents :D

Would love to swap info with you if possible as I haven't done any family tree-ing for some time now.   Which of Robert and Margaret's children are you descended from?

Thanks Alan, have been to the Hub and got a few newspapers clippings :D

Offline Xchilli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 04 August 12 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Thisty
I am descended from Walter Rae. I put the message up because I have been looking for L who emigrated to Australia and have had no luck. If it is you I would love to make contact.

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 August 12 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry I haven't emigrated but I DO have an Australian husband and the initial "L" if that counts lol.  I was in touch with one of Walter's Grandson's (through his son Robert)  a few years ago but lost touch when I lost all my emails and contacts :(

Will pm you my email address  :)

Offline Xchilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 04 August 12 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks L
Thought you were heading for Melbourne, my mistake.
Not sure how we exchange personal info, what does pm mean? If you can send me an email address that would be great. For the record I'm the one from Oz, N still lives in Kent.
All the best
IR

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 04 August 12 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi IR

PMs are personal messages, private and off the main boards. The best (only  ::)) way to exchange personal emails here on RC. Just click on the small green scroll under Thisty username on the l/h side. This takes you straight through and works very much like all email services with in/outboxes.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Xchilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 August 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Monica

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Revisiting my Wright mystery
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 May 20 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Haven’t doing any family tree-Blimey for a good few years but picking it up again and thought id have another go at breaking my biggest/most annoying brick wall.  I did post this a few years ago so apologies if it’s not allowed.

So please bear with me as this is a bit complicated lol.

My Gtgt Grandmother was Margaret Rae nee Wright born 1849 in Jedburgh,  parents Walter Purdie Wright and Mary-Anne Chambers ..... so we thought!

My problems begin with the fact I cannot find Margaret on any census before 1871 by which time she was married.  1851 she is not in the same household as her parents where you would expect a 2 year old to be (there is a Margaret BELL but aged 11) neither is she in the house in 1861 despite both her her brother and sister being present.

Margaret’s marriage and death certificates both give Walter Wright as her father but the marriage certificate gives her mother’s name as Isabella Bell!

Margaret followed a seemingly very traditional naming pattern for her own children and her first daughter was called ..... Isabella Mary-Anne.

My mum remembered her grandmother (Margaret’s daughter) day that Margaret was from Lanton ... I have only ever found Walter in Jedburgh and no link to Lanton at all.

I have sooo many questions.   Who is Isabella? Is Walter really her biological father? Did he cheat on Mary-Anne? Did they adopt Margaret? Who actually IS my gtgt grandmother?? What is the link to Lanton??

Can anyone help put me out of my misery?

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Revisiting my Wright mystery
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 May 20 14:21 BST (UK) »
On the 1851 Census for Jedburgh there is a Margaret Bell visiting a Walter Wright (tailor) and his wife Mary Ann Wright, there is also a son James. Is that who you are looking for?

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Revisiting my Wright mystery
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 02 May 20 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Crumbliest,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes this is definitely the right family but my issue with this one is my Margaret should only be 2 years old in 1851 not 11.  It’s such a massive coincidence tho to have a Margaret Bell in the house .... in fact the entire family next door are Bells and yes there IS a 2 year old Margaret but her mother seems to called Helen.