Author Topic: Rae / Wright  (Read 10652 times)

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Rae / Wright
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 June 05 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Thisty...by finding either the marr cert or death cert of Margaret (Wright) Rae,her parents names should be on them,as well as her mothers maiden name..
Margaret (Wright) Rae probably died between 1889 and 1939.
Scots GRO would have that info.Once you nail some of these death dates down ,you can then check for newspaper postings in the local papers.Your Library can advise you where these are held,probably on film or such.
Keep at it.
And Yes...any old WALDIE,KERSEL or Tinline is always appreciated,all from  Hawick.
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 June 05 12:11 BST (UK) »
 ;D

It seems as tho I have uncovered some scandal lol. 

Walter Wright married Mary Anne Chambers in 1848, Margaret Wright was born in 1849.

However, Margaret Wrights mother (as stated on her marriage cert) was Isabella Bell ...no maiden name, just Isabella Bell, Domestic Servant.

It's certainly looking as tho Walter was a bit of a bad boy here.....I'm hoping he was to tell the truth, I always hoped to get some scandal in this family  :D

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 July 05 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Thisty...how is your research going...scandal...we all look for or have a wee bit I'm sure he he .....
Have you been able to get any more surnames?
If so ..let me know and I will check my M.I.s for you.
When you research could you keep in mind these few unusual names for me WALDIE,KERSEL,TINLINE,HUGGAN.
It is amazing,that with all my Scots research..I have NO mac's or Mc in my family so far.That always surprises.
Do you belong to any of the societies there?
Drop a line .
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 July 05 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thisty...I found this in the unwanted section...it might be of some use at some time....
~~~~~~~~
Unwanted birth certificate:

William Wright, born March 21, 1884, Hawick, Rox.

Parents: John Wright and Catherine Wright

Married:  1891, Wilton, Rox.

DianeM

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 July 05 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi ajjbc,  I have actually done far better than I ever thought I would as regards getting more names. 

Robert Rae's parents were William Rae and Margaret Laurie, altho I've cpome to a bit of a standstill with THEIR parents names at the moment
I can't find any record of Isabella Bell (Margaret Wright's supposed biological mother).....or none that I know for a fact are the right one.  Her father Walter's father was called James Wright and his mother Margaret Purdie.

I think I really need to have a look at some earlier census records for the area now to make more progress so as well as a good traipse round the graveyards I need to pay a visit to the records office in Selkirk but when I will get time to go is anyone's guess.

Rest assured tho, that when I DO go, I'm planning on staying all day so I'll more than happily look up anyone you are tracing whilst I'm there.

:)

P.S, I'm pretty sure that the Walter Wright above will be in my tree somewhere, it's just a case of finding out where lol

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 July 05 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hows your tree hunting going?

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 July 05 01:24 BST (UK) »
Standstill at the moment lol, once work decides to ease up on me a little bit I'll get that trip to Selkirk and round the graveyard.

:)

Offline Xchilli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 14:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Thisty
My Great Grandfather was Robert Rae and married Margaret Wright on 4 Dec 1868.
He was a master slater/plumber and had 9 children Meg, Jean, Sarah, Annie, Alice, Georgina, William, Robert and Walter.
They lived in Jedburgh in Queen Street we think.
I have further information if you think these are the people you are searching for

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 16:58 BST (UK) »
Thisty  The records are not at Selkirk any longer they went to the Heritage hub at Hawick
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders