Author Topic: Blaenau Ffestiniog - Temperance Hotel  (Read 6395 times)

Offline soozieg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blaenau Ffestiniog - Temperance Hotel
« on: Friday 12 April 13 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have taken over my mum's research and I am trying to make some sense out of some of her (extensive) notes on the family. She has passed away so I am not in a position to ask her where she got bits of information from...  I am familiar with research having a ONS on my father's surname. However she has a death certificate of a great aunt of mine a Jane Ann Owens who married a Robert Hughes in 1896. She had I think 16 children, 13 of which survived into adulthood all born in BF. She died in 1936. In the notes for her it states that she 'kept' the Railway Cafeteria and her death cert states that she died in the Griffin Temperance Hotel - her son Evan also died there a year after her and mum also has a note that another son Tommy ran the Bridge Street cafe.
Does anyone know if I can verify any of the details in any way at all. The were not a rich family - Jane's father was killed in an explosion in a mine and my gt gt grandfather William Kerfoot bought her up in BF after marrying her mother.
If anyone can tell me anything about the above places and whether I can find any details on them I would be most grateful. rgds Soozieg
Gowlett - Radwinter, Essex
Hammond - Widford, Essex
Ellis - Blaenau Festiniog, Ysbyty Ifan, North Wales
Kerfoot - North Wales

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Blaenau Ffestiniog - Temperance Hotel
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzieg,

Not sure what information you already have on Jane Ann Owen & Robert Hughes; perhaps you’re still sorting through your mother’s notes!  From Trade directories, 1903 & 1918 the Griffin Commercial Temperance Hotel stood in Market Place, Blaenau Ffestiniog, see: http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/d.asp
The 1903 directory entry also notes that the Griffin had “well aired beds”.

Currently there is no Griffin Commercial Hotel listed BUT there is a Commercial Hotel at that address, surely the same place?  If you enter “Newmarket Square Blaenau Ffestiniog” (Newmarket Square is/was Market Place) on Google maps, you will see the building facing Church Street with a blue bus symbol on its roof.  You can also ‘walk’ 360 degrees around the hotel by using the little orange man on ‘street view’ – sorry, I’m no good at taking screen shots.

I can see the family in 1911 living at 10 Dolgarregddu when they have ten surviving children; eight boys & two girls from a total of twelve births.  Robert, aged forty, is a slate quarryman and the eldest son, Robert Owen, aged 15, is a telegraph messenger.  Dolgarregddu has been re-developed since that time.

Hope this helps a little.

Offline mandywills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 August 13 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Soozieg.
I live in the town of Blaenau Ffestiniog, and if it's any help to you, can tell you that there is a 'Bridge Cafe' here in town.
The cafe was indeed a popular cafe that catered for the holiday makers that arrived here off the Ffestiniog railway, and is still open today.
Bridge cafe,
Church st,
Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Offline Blacknick55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 May 16 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, my name is Wheldon Nicholson and I believe that Jane and Robert Hughes are my Great Grandparents. i have been doing some research into my Grandfathers life and war records and i have a copy of the 1911 Census which shows 12 children at the time. I cannot attach the census because its too large. i hope we can both help each other in finding more out about our relatives. I live in Australia but often visit Blaenau as I still have relatives there.

Offline soozieg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 16 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, well it seems we are related - Jane Owen and Robert Hughes are my great great aunt / uncle. I have researched extensively the William Kerfoot - janes step father line back to before they came to Wales. Jane's half sister Mary was my great grandmother - be great to exchange email addresses - I will pm you mine. Soozieg
Gowlett - Radwinter, Essex
Hammond - Widford, Essex
Ellis - Blaenau Festiniog, Ysbyty Ifan, North Wales
Kerfoot - North Wales

Offline Blacknick55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 May 16 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Soozieg,
I'm sorry to say (after extensive research) it seems we are NOT related :( Looks like there were two Robert Owen Hughes living in Blaenau and serving at a similar time +/- 3 years. I've now found the census document which places my Great Grandfather and Grandfather in Phillheli in 1911. I've also managed to source some extensive documents regarding my Grandfathers service in the 1st World War. Sorry to have given you any false hope.

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 June 16 21:20 BST (UK) »
hello wheldon, just a quick message to make a ,connection' I am the lady you spoke to in Tanrallt, concerning the family..feel free to get in touch..
can you send me a copy of the 1911 extract..

Offline Blacknick55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 June 16 07:40 BST (UK) »
Hello, I can send you the census but I will need your email address, I think you can send it to me via private messaging, regards Wheldon

Offline pwllheli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 January 20 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Attached are photos of the Griffin Cafe and the Railway Inn in BFf.
RI now demolished but GC still standing.
Regards
Gareth Jones