Author Topic: Trying to find information on my ancestor Alexander Middlemiss, born abt 1782  (Read 7818 times)

Offline Mara Constantine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi, I am trying to find out more information on my great-great-great-great-grandfather Alexander Middlemiss.  I would love to be able to figure out what town/village he was born in and who his parents were.

He moved to England and the information I have from him is from the 1841 and 1861 English census records.  He was born between 1781 and 1791 in Berwickshire, but there is no further information given about where in Berwickshire.  I have not been able to find any records about him in Scotland's People (but that doesn't mean they're not there!). 

He was living in Middlesex, England by 1818.  I just haven't been able to find any records associated with him before that point. 

I found on someone else's family tree that he had a brother, born abt. 1787 named Alfred Middlemiss, who also moved to England. (EDIT: This "Alfred" is actually Alexander with his name recorded incorrectly - thank you AMBLY.)

Any help would be much appreciated - thank you!

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find information on my ancestor Alexander Middlemiss, born abt 1782
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 April 13 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there

This is the one married to Martha? It appears to me the supposed brother, is actually him! That is, the 1851 Census has recorded him  (and his son Alexander) as 'Alfred' - possibly due to the enumerator mistaking the words written on the Household schedule:

1841: 50 (b abt 1791)
1851: 64 (b abt 1787)
1861: 75 (b abt 1786)

1851: Hamstead Road, Finchley, Barnet, Middlesex
HO107/ Piece: 1701 / Folio 464/ Pg 44
Head: Alfred MIDDLEMIS 64, b Scotland
Wife: Martha 45, b Islington, Mdx
Son: Alfred 11, b Renwood
Son: William G, 9 b Renwood
Plus 2 servants

1861: Kenwood Farm, Hampstead Lane, Finchley
RG 9 / Piece: 789 / Folio: 74 / Pg 44
Head: Alexander MIDDLEMISS 75, Farm Bailiff, b Berwicksh. Scotland
Wife: Martha 56, b Islington
Son: Alexander 21, Linen Draper, b Finchley
Son: William G 17, Farm Servant, b Finchley
Plus one Servant

Do you have a different 1851 Census record?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find information on my ancestor Alexander Middlemiss, born abt 1782
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 April 13 23:15 BST (UK) »
PROBATE REGISTER: Martha MIDDLEMISS, formerly of Kenwood Farm Finchley but late of 3 Wellington Terrace, North-Road, Highgate died 25 Dec 1868, widow. Admin was granted 31 March 1868 to her son & NOK, AlexanderMIDDLEMISS , Stationer of North Road, Highgate. Effects under £300

FreeBMD: DEATH, Edmonton, Dec Qtr 1867:
Martha MIDDLEMISS age 66 (born abt 1801)

And looks as if Alexander is:
FreeBMD: DEATH, Edmonton, Mar Qtr 1866
Alexander MIDDLEMISS age 84(b abt 1782)

Their ages on 1851 and 1861 are consistent with Alexander being born around 1786 and Martha abt 1805. 

Their ages on the 1841 (50 and 40) are clearly rounded down to the nearest 5 year mark, as was the rule for that Census.

Their ages at death, I would hazard a guess that their son didn't know their correct ages. This wouldn't be unusual in the times - I would be more inclined to go with Alexander being born around the 1786 mark.

And, just had a full look at the 1841 Census:
1841: Kenwood Farm, Finchley
HO107 / Piece: 663 / Book: 1/Folio: 14 / Page: 20
Alexander MIDDLEMISS 50, farmer -
Martha MIDDLEMISS 40 - Y
Elizabeth MIDDLEMISS 20 - Y
Thomas MIDDLEMISS 20, Silver Smith  - Y
John MIDDLEMISS 15, Farmer - Y
Mary MIDDLEMISS 15 - Y
Alexander MIDDLEMISS 1 - Y

The age gap of the children Mary & Alexander - told  me Martha is most probably not the mother of the earlier children!

And lo.….just after the start of Civil Registration in England:

MARRIAGE: Parish Church of St Mary Hornsey, on 12 Dec 1837
Alexander MIDDLEMISS, of full age, Farmer, widower, of Finchley - father: Thomas MIDDLEMISS, Farmer.
Martha TOMKINS, of full age, spinster, of Highgate - father: Benjamin TOMKINS, Hairdresser
Witness: Thomas MARTIN and M L MARTIN

So, Alexander MIDDLEMISS, b abt 1786, Berwickshire, son of Thomas MIDDLEMISS, Farmer.

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 13 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

The family were Non-Conformist it seems - at least in regards to the first marriage.
On Family Search:
https://www.familysearch.org/

NON CONFORMIST Records: Children of Alexander MIDDLEMISS and Hannah:
Elizabeth MIDDLEMISS, b Kenwood Finchley 1818, chr Highgate 1818
Thomas MIDDLEMISS b Kenwood Finchley 1820, chr Highgate 1820
John MIDDLEMISS b Kenwood Finchley 1821, chr Highgate 1821
Mary MIDDLEMISS chr Highgate 1824
Alexander MIDDLEMISS chr Highgate 1828

Note: Alexander b 1828 is clearly not the child of 1841 Census. This 1828 Alexander probably died as an infant and the child born abt 1840 was given the same name (not unusual, particulary if there is a Scots background).

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline Mara Constantine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 April 13 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi AMBLY,
Thank you so much for your help.  I have contacted the person who has the most complete family tree to let her know that Alfred is probably Alexander.  A gentleman who wrote a family history awhile ago also listed Alfred as a brother of Alexander, even noting they married women with the same name.  That census taker really fooled us!  This definitely explains why I could never find Alexander in the 1851 census. 

The woman whose tree I have been working from did list Thomas as Alexander's father, but I couldn't remember where the information came from - thank you for posting that, I truly appreciate it. 

Do you have any ideas about how I might be able to find out where in Berwickshire Alexander (or Thomas) was born or lived before moving to England?  The reason I want to know is that I am hoping to visit from California next year and I want to visit the town where he was born.  (I guess I can visit every town in Berwickshire, but it would be very special to have the place narrowed down more.)

Thanks again,
Mara

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 April 13 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Mara

Hopefully we can unearth a few more leads for you to get closer in Berwickshire  ;D 
Kenwood House  - containing the 'home' farm of the Earl Mansfield where Alexander worked  still exists - I'm sure you've looked into all that  ;D I wonder if the Kenwood Farm Cottage mentioned was Alexander's home?
http://www.weekendnotes.co.uk/hampstead-heath/
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/kenwood-house/

Here are the burials for the young son of Alexander and his first wife Hannah:

1832: Alexander MIDDLEMISS age 3yrs & 7mthsBuried 25th April 1832
St Michael Chapel Highgate, Hornsey
Abode of the deceased: Ken-Wood House

1835: Hannah MIDDLEMISS aged 39 years
Buried 3 Sep 1835
St Michael, Highgate, Hornsey
Abode of the deceased: Ken-Wood

Now, I also found this - very exciting!

1817: Andrew MIDDLEMISS age 45 yrs
Buried 5 Jul 1817
St Michael Chapel Highgate, Hornsey
Abode: Ken-Wood

This Andrew is abt 14 yrs the senior of Alexander - could be brothers, or cousins,  or uncle? Andrew definitely was at the same place as Alexander.

If you Google: Andrew MIDDLEMISS Kenwood

There are Google Book references, re cases being heard in the House of Lords around 1833 - but they are referring to events in the 1810's or threabouts, with regards to Andrew Middlemiss of Kenwood and his 'master' Earl Mansfield.  There is at least one reference to Andrew planting hedges at Kenwood, and hiring staff from Scotland.

I also found the online Middlemiss history you mentioned

In which it cites: "although a letter from the Steward of the estate to the Head Gardener, dated May 1845, mentions a hedge which had been planted by "old Middlemiss". perhaps Old Middlemiss was not Alexander at all  - but Andrew?

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline mamad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 April 13 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Mara,

Looked at Berwickshire MIs  for a Thomas Middlemiss - keeping in mind perhaps he did not have a headstone!

Lennel Old Churchyard, Parish of Coldstream
Thomas Middlemiss, lang residenter in Coldstream died at Brownsbank 30/10/1796 aged 65 years, wife Betty Davidson died 3/08/1793 aged 73 years

Swinton Parish Churchyard
Thomas Middlemiss, Joiner in Swinton died 2/05/1857 aged 86 years, wife Elizabeth Scott died 13/12/1845 aged 72 years
Thomas Middlemiss, wright and feuar in Swinton died 13/03/1782 aged 61 years, wife Jannet Middlemiss died 11/12/1791 aged 76 years

Ages may put them all out of the running. Langton Old Burial Ground has eight Middlemiss MIs in a group. None are Thomas, however it may help narrow search of the area. Swinton also has a number of Middlemiss MIs.

Mags

Offline Mara Constantine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 13 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for all that information, so wonderful!

Offline Crystabel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 December 18 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mara just come across your post. Wondered how far you got with your research into Alexander beginnings in Scotland. I can confirm from our family history that he was born in 1791 married to Martha. He was my great, great, great grandfather too. My tree comes down from their 3rd child John b 1822 married Ruth. They keep farming in the family and lived and run the Dairy at Swiss Cottage, in Finchley, Hampstead. My own grandfather was born there. I can also confirm that your Alexander was farming at Ken Wood, Hampstead. He and Martha had 6 children. Which of these children do you decend from?
Crystabel