Author Topic: Trying to find information on my ancestor Alexander Middlemiss, born abt 1782  (Read 7857 times)

Offline Mara Constantine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find information on my ancestor Alexander Middlemiss, born abt 1782
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 December 18 05:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crystabel, so fun to get your message, thanks for reaching out! I don't have too much time for genealogy at the moment, let's see what I can remember! I visited Kenwood in 2014, it was a very special experience to feel I was walking in Alexander's footsteps. I don't think I ever traced him back to a precise place in Scotland, I think Berwickshire was as far as I got.  How about you? Alexander's son Alexander Middlemiss b.1840 is my great-great-great-grandfather, he married Lydia Dancocks. I'd love to hear anything about your family's experience running the dairy at Swiss Cottage.
Best wishes,
Mara

Offline Okerswood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find information on my ancestor Alexander Middlemiss, born abt 1782
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 November 21 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mara,
Just found your post regarding Alexander Middlemiss. Have you found the information you wanted?
His brother James Middlemiss b. 1784 was my 3 x GGF . The family lived in a place called Morebattle in Roxborough in The Scottish Borders. Let me know if you want any further information.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 December 21 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello. My surname is Middlemiss and our family goes back to 1600's at the Borders... I was going to mention there are many spelling variations. When on SP it is good to use the wildcard feature such as mi*dlem***. Many of the names won't get picked up if you just use variations/phonetic.

You have to catch MEDDLEMAS , MIDLEMAS , MIDLEMASS , MIDLEMISS , MIDLEMISSE , MIDLEMIST, MIDLEMIST, MIDLEMOST, etc etc etc

Sometimes i'll even put it to begins with MID and then sort through the many pages finding new ones.

Anyhow as far as Alexander goes... searching SP with "surname begins with MID" and first name "begins with AL" (good to do because there are several short forms of Alexander used). The only Alexander Middlemiss born in all of Scotland on SP between 1770-1790 is:

MIDDLEMIST

ALEXANDER

ALEXANDER MIDDLEMIST/MARGARET HUMLE FR571 (FR571)

M
23/12/1779
733/
30 11
Coldstream

Not saying that is your Alexander...just its the only one on record that I could see.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.