Author Topic: What happened to William and Sarah Ann BROWN?? Inverell area  (Read 12579 times)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to William and Sarah Ann BROWN?? Inverell area
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 09:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry Muss, dont think it is the Lady from Grafton. SEE

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/61441859?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Neil .  I have checked all the other dates of death of members of the family contained  in the information.  All seem correct, wonder if the death of Sarah was registered ?

Muss

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I understand that there are quite a number of instances where civil registrations of deaths did not occur in the years prior to WWI, particularly in rural areas where there had been an inquest or a police enquiry which resulted in the Police/Coroner issuing an authority to bury.  The regulations were not specific, so it was not obvious as to who was responsible for registering a death with the deputy registrar, which was often a part time postion, occupied by clerks attached to the local court houses.   Of course in rural areas, the court houses were next to the police station and the crown sgt's residence and the lock up.   So, if the Police issued a burial order, then the funeral director and/or the clergyman may well have expected that the issuing officer would also complete the paperwork and register the death with the clerk at the court house  .....  ::) 

It was entirely possible that in small townships and sparsely populated districts that years and years would pass before an inquest was needed to be held in that area, so the locals would not be familiar with the regulations.  The regulations changed circa 1914  :)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 18 April 13 07:13 BST (UK) »

I think it would be useful to follow the daughters to see if there is a clue to later life of their parents.

What BDM certificates do you have for this family?

Do you have other information that would be useful to us in researching this family?

7207/1895  SMITH  Robert J F m.  BROWN  Sarah E  LITHGOW   Is this the couple?

(and the children I listed at reply #19 are incorrect...father William not Robert).

Brown and Smith are very ordinary names...how were you able to identify this Sarah, as your Sarah Brown?   

I am not questioning the accuracy, but I wonder if you have additional information about the Brown daughters?

This marriage, 1895, is the next event to find for this family, after b. Jessie 1884, so would be interesting to see how parents are noted, also names of witnesses...do you have this 1895  marriage certificate?

post #1   "...had 6 children(3 died as babies"

reply #3
William Henrik 1875, William Walter 1876, Sarah E 1878, Peter 1881, Charlotte 1882 and Jessie 1884.

These are the three deaths -
19143/1881  BROWN  Peter                      William/Sarah      INVERELL
21188/1875  BROWN  William Henrik         William/Sarah      WELLINGROVE
13254/1876  BROWN  William Walter         William/Sarah      INVERELL   

Reply #4
".....Charlotte was married in Inglewood in 1908 but started having her children in Inglewood in 1897.
....... Sarah Elizabeth m.1895 Lithgow NSW 
....Jessie    m.1908 in QLD, not sure where.

Reply #19
1908/C2988 KHAN Adalat      m.   BROWN Jessie  16 Dec 1908

1910/C13118   Ethel Martha KHAN             b. 18 March 1905     Adalat Jessie Brown
1910/C13119   Galarm Gelarlarny KHAN     b. 9 Nov 1907          Adalat Jessie Brown
1910/C13119   Golarm Gelarlarny KHAN                                   Adalat Jessie Brown
1910/C13034   Boguin-Noor Madge KHAN   b. 19 Oct 1910         Adalat Jessie Brown

2959 Charlotte Agnes BROWN m. Charles Mahomed DEEN 2 Nov 1908 
(this from Ancestry, not found QLD BDM Index)

1908/C12331 DEEN, Elam      Charles Mahomed Charlotte Agnes Brown    b. 19 Aug 1908
1909/C2918 DEEN, Ommie    Charles Mahomed Charlotte Agnes Brown    b. 16 Mar 1900
1909/C2919 DEEN, Marm      Charles Mahomed Charlotte Agnes Brown     b. 1 Nov 1902
1909/C2920 DEEN, Cumimnure Doret  Charles Mahomed Charlotte Agnes Brown  14 Nov 1904
1909/C2920 DEEN, Cumimnure Doret  Charles Mahomed Charlotte Agnes
1909/C2921 DEEN, Bibbie Jane  Charles Mahomed Charlotte Agnes Brown    4 Dec 1906
1909/C12371 DEEN, Robert    Charles Mahomed Charlotte Agnes Brown      18 Apr 1897
1910/C13273 DEEN,Charles Futtah  Charles Mahommed Charlotte Agnes Brown   b. 23 Aug 1910
1910/C13273 DEEN, Charles Futtah Charles Mahommed Charlotte Agnes

Elam b. Aug 1908, Charles and Charlotte m. Nov 1909
In 1909 they register births of several children, including oldest, Robert b. 1897.
He is only one without Indian name, so possibly not child of Charles?.

Adalat KHAN and Jessie BROWN m. Dec 1908.
Birth of Madge 1910 is  registered at/after 14 Oct 1910, then in same year, births of older children registered retrospectively, going by reg. numbers.

Seems to be a pattern here....children born and not registered at the time, marriage several years later...what happened 1908 to cause both couples to get a bit organised?

Charlotte is 15yrs when Robert is b. 1897.  I wonder who she is living with? 

Offline melmaree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 18 April 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
Wow you have all been so busy. Sorry I have not been back since the weekend, but with work and children, things tend to get a little busy. Just thought I'd post a quick reply to say I'm still here and am going to go through all the fantastic info you've given and get back to you with any other info/cert I have.

This side of the family is very frustrating, with unable to find William and Sarahs death, I also have not been able to find their daughter Charlotte, her husband Charles Deens (my ggg grandfathers) death (but that's another story and one I've already posted on here before)

So the death of Sarah in 1907 suggested by Muss, this definitely looks like her doesn't it. Even though there may not be a record on BDM??

And yes Neil Todd, Eliza was a very naughty girl getting into lots of trouble with the law!!

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 18 April 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Maybe the death of Sarah, was the reason her daughters married 

Muss

Offline melmaree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 18 April 13 11:09 BST (UK) »
Maybe that could be a reason Muss. Very strange both girls Charlotte and
her sister Jessie registered children well after they were born and married in the same year.

The only other thing apart from William and Sarahs marriage cert and Charlotte Browns birth certificate is Naturalisation record from 1875 for William Brown. I ordered it from State Records NSW and it only arrived just this week.

It is the "List of Aliens to whom Certificates of Naturalisation have been issued"
It has William Brown Native of State Island New York, Age: 31 Ship by which arrived "Lochiel" Year of arrival 1862 Present place of residence Glen Innes.

I have been thinking if William arrived in 1862 and didn't marry Sarah Byron until 1873, he must have been married before. Also I'm sure the ship he arrived on would have arrived probably in Sydney??
But as William Brown is a fairly common name, it might be hard to trace.

Offline melmaree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 18 April 13 11:11 BST (UK) »
I don't have the marriage cert of Jessie Brown so maybe ordering the marriage certificate of William and Sarahs daughter Jessie in 1895, may give me some further info.

Offline C.saunders

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 30 June 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi all not sure how late to the party I am but I've stumbled across this while trying to search my family history

My great grandmother was Ethel Martha Saunders (born Khan) who has been mentioned in this thread as from what i can see her parents were William and sarah from inverall? Does this sound right, any more information anyone can share about this?

If it helps anyone else, ethal and William had a son call Hugh Saunders (my grandfather) and I know he had 10+ brothers and sisters