Author Topic: davage (davidge) of sheffield and lancashire  (Read 3614 times)

Offline arry

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
davage (davidge) of sheffield and lancashire
« on: Saturday 13 April 13 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
I have for some years now been researching JOHN DAVIDGE said to be born bolton lancs 1763 but i think it is actually 1752 ,he married DINAH HATTERSLEY ecclesfield sheffield feb 1788 ,1st 2 children born ringley Lancs ,where he was a paper maker ,from ringley St Saviours i have ,
WILLIAM DAVIDGE 1790 son of JOHN DAVIDGE of outwood ,papermaker ,and his wife DINAH,
JOHN DAVIDGE  Oct     1792son of John DAVIDGE of outwood papermaker and his wife DINAH.
There is a burial 14th july 1792 St Saviours for JOHN DAVIDGE of outwood.
He obviously died before JOHN,s Birth Oct 1792 ,the next child is born Ecclesfield 1796 JOSEPH son fo DINAH ,this is where her parents live ,
There is 1 more child MARY BN 1803 Ecclesfield entry says Daughter of DINAH,
DINAH died 1833 and was buried Wadsley cemetary Sheffield
I have hunted everywhere for this mans birth to no avail .
Anyone else researching this family and any info on JOHN would be very gratefull .
Many thanks for reading Arry

Offline Shirleyjjj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: davage (davidge) of sheffield and lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 April 13 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann - have you tried keying in the name SAVAGE as this could have been mistranscribed at some stage -

found this on the lancs on line Parish clerk

John Savage of Cuerley buried 8 Oct 1749 St Wilfrid, Farnworth

Savage is a well- known name in Bolton - the soundtext is the same - did you find any families at all in Bolton withe the DAVIDGE name ? the lancs on line is really goo you can play around with putting the name Davidge in and see what comes up?

Also found this - could this be your Dinah ??? :P ;D

Diana Davidge buried 7 Feb 1789 St Saviour, Ringley

Offline arry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 13 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Andreajjj,
The Diana you found is probably dinah and john,s daughter or john,s mother ,i have access to St saviour,s Ringley files ,unfortunately there is no age attached to the entry so we do not know Diana,s age ,I know DINAH went back to Ecclesfield as she had 2 more children and they are both registered as dau and son of DINAH ,i do believe the John Davidge buried ringley 1792 is our John davidge ,these files are now available on familysearch.org,the files unfortunatley for the period when John was born are not very readable ,it is however worth researching Savage as you suggest ,thank you for your input and if you do stumble on anything i would be most grateful ,many thanks Arry

Offline arry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 13 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again Andreajjj,
It is also worth me saying at this time that on the wedding entry ,it state,s that JOHN DAVIDGE came from BOLTON in the county of LANCASTER,now you could say that is where he lived where he was a papermaker ,and that he was in fact born somewhere else ,????.
Many thanks Arry ??? ??? ???

Offline Shirleyjjj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
yes possible - maybe he travelled with his work as he went a long way to get married -

Farnworth did have a paper making industy - they would have used the canal system and would have needed plenty water found this in wikipedia -

The owner of Farnworth Paper mills, T. B. Crompton, patented a continuous-drying process which contributed to the mechanisation of papermaking in 1821

not sure when the busness actually began though Farnworth /kearlsy/ringley  are all the same area more or less -

Im from Bolton myself and all my ancestors stem from these industrial areas eg farnworth - ill see what i can find -but thats a relatively  'rare' name round here but i have found some on the www.lancson line parish clerk - ringley so not sure where the origins are so maybe your right and he was born somewhere else??

Offline arry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 April 13 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Andreajjj.
Thanks for that ,you see this JOHN DAVIDGE is my direst line ,ours is spelt DAVAGE ,but previous 1841 it was DAVIDGE<DAVEDG<we even have one registered 1841 census as DAVIES but in 1851 they are back to the current spelling of DAVAGE ,i shall have a look at files for kearsley if i can ,and let you know ,many thanks Arry,if you like i can email you our line from JOHN DAVIDGE ,will send you a pm with my email.
Many thanks Arry

Offline arry

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 April 13 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi again Andreajjj.
Had a look at kearsley files on family search they do not start until 1800+ ,oh well .
Many thanks Arry

Offline Shirleyjjj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 April 13 13:46 BST (UK) »
hi sorry just looked at the map Ringley would have been an area near Prestwich - sorry not really too near farnworth - but easy to travel with horse and cart ect -

There is an old map on this link:

http://www.boltonmuseums.org.uk/bolton-archives/bolton-parish-map/
 might help as the boundries have now changed and place names changed slightly - if you go onto the home page of lancs on line parsih clerk and click search 'whole country ' for that name you will find them - it doesnt actually search the whole country its mainly just lancs/liverpool you can even just key in his name and seach 20 years give or take -

Offline Shirleyjjj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 April 13 14:07 BST (UK) »
Joseph Davage buried 31 Mar 1836 aged 45 Collegiate Church, Manchester

keep that for now - might be useful