Author Topic: information on Leo Silvester Hannan, murderer.  (Read 8712 times)

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandfather Alexander Allison in 1916
    • View Profile
information on Leo Silvester Hannan, murderer.
« on: Sunday 14 April 13 04:22 BST (UK) »
HI,

when i thought my family history was beginning be be boring i discovered we had a murderer in the family haha

Leo Silvester Hannan. I don't know much about his life. He was born and died in Wellington, New Zealand 1900-1962. I typed his name into google hoping someone was looking for info on him too and with such a rare name i thought maybe i might of got something, which i did, but not from a relative. A website on Annie Smyth, a woman that worked for the Salvation Army, her and her sister and in the 1940s were murdered but the case was never solved. in 1950 Leo murdered a a guard in Wellington railway station and was sentence to life in prison in 1950 and when he was dying with cancer in 1962 he confessed to his lawyer he had murdered Annie and her sister in 1942 I'm sure it was and  another man with the name Herbert Brunton. Annie and her sister were killed by an axe and a poker and the man was killed by an axe, here is the article:

On or about 8 August 1942 Annie and Rosamond were murdered in their home at the Salvation Army hall. It was 13 days before the deaths were reported to the police. A lengthy and exhaustive enquiry followed, involving a large team of police led by Chief Detective J. Bruce Young of Wellington (later commissioner of police). Salvation Army Commissioner Smith officiated at the joint funeral for the two sisters held at the citadel in Wellington on 26 August; they were buried at the Karori cemetery. It was established that the murder weapons were an axe and a poker, and police enquiries included the offer of a £500 reward. Despite this, the murders remained unsolved and on 19 January 1943 the coroner delivered an open verdict of ‘murder by some person or persons unknown’.

Some years later, on 30 October 1950, Leo Silvester Hannan, described as a bushman and a bootmaker, was convicted at the Wellington Supreme Court of murdering a railway guard in Wellington with a heavy spanner the previous August. Hannan had lived an itinerant life in various parts of the lower North Island between Wellington and Taumarunui, but had spent much of the 1940s in prison. He was represented at his trial by George Joseph and was sentenced to life imprisonment. In 1962, knowing he had terminal cancer, Hannan asked to see Joseph and told him he had killed the Smyth sisters, and also an old man named Herbert Brunton at Wairoa in December 1948; Brunton had also been killed with an axe. Bruce Young had investigated Brunton’s murder, which had remained unsolved. Hannan’s criminal record establishes that at the times of both the Smyth and Brunton murders he was out of prison. He died still serving his sentence in October 1962.

I was wondering if anyone could find any more information on the case of Leo murdering the guard and anything else on the Smyth sisters and Mr Burton and if he had any previous convictions with anything in the 20s, 30s and 40s as it says he spent most of the 40s in prison.

I managed to find a picture of Leo walking behind the police behind the court in 1950

Thanks

Gary
Hamilton, Lanarkshire - Devine, McGarry, Daisley, McGuire, Mullen, Sheridan, Ford
Blantyre, Lanarkshire - Gibson, Hamill, McInulty
Avondale, Strathaven - Mulligan, Dempsey
Glasgow - Sinclair, Allison, McFarlane
Renfrewshire - Allison
Perthshire - Sinclair, Roy, Donaldson
Edinburgh and Caithness Thurso - Sutherland
Edinburgh and Ayrshire - Sheridan

Offline GailS

• RootsChat Senior
  • William ANDREW
    • View Profile
Re: information on Leo Silvester Hannan, murderer.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 April 13 04:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,

Just wondering how much info you have on his parents and siblings, your Leo has a lot of siblings and his parents are Annie and Edmond.......am I on the right track?

Gail.
CORNWALL, Andrew, Whitford, Harris, Jeffery, Blight.
ENGLAND-LONDON, Allingham, Warbey, Alloway, Gunter.
               -NOTTINGHAM, Ball, Lewis.
IRELAND-SWORDS, Rogers, Reynolds.
SCOTLAND, Thomson, Neil, Wilson, McMillan, Weddell,
NEW ZEALAND, All of the above.

Offline garydevine

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandfather Alexander Allison in 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 April 13 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail,

Yes that's correct :) his mother is Annie Bonnar from Donegal Ireland, I have pictures of her and Edmund in the 1880s and some other ones of Annie. Yes he had a lot of siblings I believe but I cant find any information on any of them, I think there's maybe 8 of them or maybe even more.

Gary
Hamilton, Lanarkshire - Devine, McGarry, Daisley, McGuire, Mullen, Sheridan, Ford
Blantyre, Lanarkshire - Gibson, Hamill, McInulty
Avondale, Strathaven - Mulligan, Dempsey
Glasgow - Sinclair, Allison, McFarlane
Renfrewshire - Allison
Perthshire - Sinclair, Roy, Donaldson
Edinburgh and Caithness Thurso - Sutherland
Edinburgh and Ayrshire - Sheridan

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 April 13 05:15 BST (UK) »
Have you looked in the Police Gazettes at the time of releases from prison for Leo's convictions and the retrospective term served?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 April 13 05:16 BST (UK) »
Here are a few newspaper articles http://www.rootschat.com/links/0thu/

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 April 13 05:19 BST (UK) »
PS That's a pretty cool photo, if you don't mind me saying.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 April 13 05:24 BST (UK) »
Article on the sister's murder http://www.rootschat.com/links/0thv/

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 April 13 05:34 BST (UK) »
Herbert William Brunton died 16 December 1948
1949/29834   Brunton   Herbert William   69

His nickname was Bunny.

There are 3 articles at the National Library http://www.rootschat.com/links/0thw/

Added: There is a note that a book was to be published to include the murders.

Added: The death date in one of those articles is 17th not 16th.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 April 13 05:40 BST (UK) »
Oh I see you have probably been to the National Library indexing site, as they have the same photo.

Anyway here are a few more, for Leo Hannan, just in case http://www.rootschat.com/links/0thx/