Author Topic: UK 1831 Census, Hackney  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Catrina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
UK 1831 Census, Hackney
« on: Sunday 14 April 13 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hello all

I have just found three of my ancestors, the reputed children of my 3x gtgrandfather an HEIC officer, who were born in India (Calcutta) were sent to England 1823-24.
I know the officers mother, Joanna Ward, lived in Wells St Hackney with her daughter Elizabeth Simpson and I would like to know if the children were sent to live with them.
I wonder if someone with access to this early Census would be able to cast any light on this question for me please.
I am aware the Census is very sketchy but as the above information has only come to light in the past two days it would round things off beautifully to know where, or with whom, they lived.

I would welcome any assistance.

Thank you

Regards, Kate
(Sydney, Australia)
Ward, Pridden, Swabey, Haslegrave, (Surrey) Simpson, Cull (Middlesex) Searby (Lincolnshire) Hobbs (Berkshire) Lally, McNamara, McGrath, Manion, (Ireland) Spencer, Mayo, Collender (Somerset, Gloucestershire)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: UK 1831 Census, Hackney
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 April 13 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a Prerogative Court of Canterbury will for a Joanna Ward of Hackney probated 5th January 1829.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/wills.htm

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Catrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 April 13 08:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda,

I have that Will, all her grandchildren were left bequests. I just wondered if her son John Ward, left the three children in her care as he did not finally return from Bengal for another eight years.

Regards, Kate
(Sydney, Australia)
Ward, Pridden, Swabey, Haslegrave, (Surrey) Simpson, Cull (Middlesex) Searby (Lincolnshire) Hobbs (Berkshire) Lally, McNamara, McGrath, Manion, (Ireland) Spencer, Mayo, Collender (Somerset, Gloucestershire)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 April 13 08:15 BST (UK) »
The 1831 census, where it survives, only shows the head of each household!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 April 13 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

If her will was probated 5th January 1829 then she must have died pre that date and will not appear on the 1831 Hackney census. What is the date of her signature on the will?
The previous census was in 1821 pre the arrival of the children in England. These early national censuses (1801-1831) where they survive, name only heads of households and give numbers of others living with them by gender and age by the time of the 1831 census. Children therefore will not be named and women only if they were the head of a household. Have you found Elizabeth Simpson on the 1841 census in Hackney? Was she a head of household in 1841?
Have you found the 'children' in England in 1841?

Regards

Valda

Offline Catrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 April 13 08:46 BST (UK) »
The grandmother, Joanna Ward, was living in her daughter' home at the time of the arrival of the children, so Elizabeth Simpson was possibly "Head" not sure when Mr Simpson died and she herself had a number of children, adult at this time but some still living at home.
Yes Joanna was dead by the 1831 census but I thought the three children, being named Ward, might be noted separately
I have all the information about children Elizabeth and John as adults (John is my 2xgtgrandfather)

I just wondered who had the care of them when they arrived in England.

Thank you for taking an interest Valda.

Kate

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 April 13 09:09 BST (UK) »
The 1831 census, where it survives, only shows the head of each household!

The only 1831 Census listing existing for Hackney, is for St. John parish, and is Household only, household listings often have nominal information about the head of the household, but this is not always the case. There are 16 existing 1831 census listings showing individuals.
"Census Schedules and Listings, 1801-1831: an introduction and guide"
http://www.essex.ac.uk/history/Staff_Research/working-papers/MW-RW-BM.pdf

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Catrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 April 13 09:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Valda, KGarrad and Stan for responding.

It was a forlorn hope but worth a try, not really of great importance, I just like to get into their lives.
Whoever they lived with it must have been so very different from their lives in India and being parted from their father for eight years must have been difficult.

Thanks again

Regards, Kate
(Sydney, Australia)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 April 13 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

If the family were of means you would expect certainly the son to have been sent home to a boarding school to be educated. A girl might also be placed in a private school.

http://www.faqs.org/childhood/Bo-Ch/British-Colonialism-in-India.html

Regards

Valda