Author Topic: Births in Enniscorthy Workhouse  (Read 5296 times)

Offline mandypea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Births in Enniscorthy Workhouse
« on: Sunday 14 April 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
If someone was born in the Enniscorthy Workhouse in 1892,  which would be the nearest catholic Church for them to be baptised in?
Ryan              Wexford  
Lyons            Wexford
O'Neill            Wexford
Storey            Tacken, Waterford
Tomkins          Wexford
Stubbs            Wexford

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Births in Enniscorthy Workhouse
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 April 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
Record are usually kept by parish, and most of the town and surrounding area was covered by Enniscorthy RC parish, which included the civil parishes of St. Mary's Enniscorthy, Templeshanbo and   Templeshannon. St. Aidan's Cathedral in the town appears to have been the head of the parish at the time.

The Workhouse was in the townland of Enniscorthy, which also contains most of the town.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline mandypea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 April 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Shane
Ryan              Wexford  
Lyons            Wexford
O'Neill            Wexford
Storey            Tacken, Waterford
Tomkins          Wexford
Stubbs            Wexford

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 April 13 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Mandypea. Just seen you message. Hope this is useful to you. I contacted the Wexford records office of freedom of information they checked to see if my relative was born at County Home (Workhouse Enniscorthy) They requested local records office do a search the birth had been registered by the person at W.H I was given a refence number and applied for the birth certificate.
the other relative was not registered and so the person at wexford (as above) sent me a photocopy
of the entry in the W.H book.
Full address HSE South, Freedom of Information Office, Wexford Local Health Office, Larkin Wing, Wexford General Hospital.
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Offline LKD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 May 19 14:04 BST (UK) »
Where precisely in Enniscorthy was the workhouse located ? Does it still exist ? I am visiting Enniscorthy soon and am interested in seeing it.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 May 19 15:46 BST (UK) »
Where precisely in Enniscorthy was the workhouse located ? Does it still exist ? I am visiting Enniscorthy soon and am interested in seeing it.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Enniscorthy/
Elwyn

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 May 19 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi just as a matter of interest l visited the Enniscorthy workhouse last September 2018. Apparently they have secured funding to refurbish (do up) the old workhouse.
I think this will be something for people having a connection  with the WH will find interesting.
We were lucky enough to see the little church connected to the workhouse where babies would have been bapitisted.
We were told the church still functions for the local community.
Hope this is of help Kathleen ☺
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 00:39 BST (UK) »
Just to insert a note of caution. I don't know about Enniscorthy Workhouse, but the one in Wexford had its own baptismal register. Register not filmed by NLI, and not on any databases.
 Baptisms prior to the creation of this dedicated register were recorded in Glynn parish, not Wexford.

Someone can figure out if baptisms are in the Enniscorthy registers, or not, with some effort:
1) Pick last year of Enniscorthy registers online.
2) Look for registration of workhouse births online at Irishgenealogy.ie
3) Look for corresponding baptism in parish registers.

Quite straightforward, but I am not going to do it.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area