Author Topic: COUCH family, Luxulyan Cornwall.  (Read 11122 times)

Offline Steve63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COUCH family, Luxulyan Cornwall.
« on: Sunday 14 April 13 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi all, James Couch married Ann Hadden in St Austel, Cornwall, on 14/8/1803. The family, (as I know it), lived in Luxulyan Cornwall. I believe James worked as a miller at Wood Mill. I only know about their son, William Higman Couch, (my ancestor), who was baptised on 14/2/1813 in Cornwall and who later married Emma Jane Jenkin and came out to South Australia on the ship "Waterloo" leaving London on 13/6/1840 and arriving at Port Adelaide on 9/11/1840. William and Emma were to go on to have 10 children, 2 of which were born in Cornwall but we only have the name of one of those two. Unfortunately nothing is known of any other family or where the family resided in Cornwall. It would be very interesting to know more, eg where they lived, the size and make up of the family and any burial sites as I am travelling through Cornwall this year and would like to visit these ancestral sites.
thank you, Steve63.   

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Couch family, Luxulyan Cornwall.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 13 05:06 BST (UK) »
hi,,,this site may have something?

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/luxulyan.php

James and Ann appear to have these children baptized in Luxulyan

Hannah  1806
David     1808
Agnes    1810
Joseph   1815
Maria     1818
James    1820
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 April 13 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Gortonboy, thank you for that, it confirms some of the details that I could only assume. I contacted the OPC clerk at Luxulyan over a year ago and asked for confirmation of some details and am still waiting to hear, they would be very busy so I will hear in time. Steve63.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 April 13 11:19 BST (UK) »
I'd try the opc again, you would have had a reply long since. Who was it you contacted? Ask specific questions that can be looked up, with names and dates. Something vague covering decades or more may not get a reply.

http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/l_m/luxulyan.php
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Steve63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 April 13 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Osprey, will take your advice and contact the OPC Clerk at Luxulyan again. As I will be traveling through Devon & Cornwall in the near future, you can understand that I would be very interested to learn the burial site of James and Ann Couch, (nee Hadden), so that I can stop off and visit. This trip is not only to have a look at England, it is also to travel through and see where my ancestors came from so any help in this area will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Steve63.   

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: COUCH family, Luxulyan Cornwall.
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 05:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

I note William and Emma's application for free travel lists William aged 26 a Carpenter, Wife 23 and children (Son 3, Daughter 9 months)

1841 Census Shows William aged under 35 wife aged under 35 along with 1 son and 1 daughter are residing in Gilbert Street Adelaide.

Now I do find the marriage in Fowey

William COUCH = Emma JENKINS 29 Jan 1835

and the birth of a son John Jenkin COUCH also in Fowey 10 Jan 1839

I note that this differs from the BISA - a very good resource for SA Research but it does contain errors as it was compiled in part by submitted information - this entry does have some unknowns.

COUCH William Higman parents Jas and Ann b 1812 Lusculvan [SIC] CON ENG died 16.2.1873 Adelaide SA buried  WTC
arrived by 1841 occupation Carpenter, Mason
residence Adelaide
married CON? ENG Emma Jane nee JENKIN b 1817 died 4.10.1897 Fullarton SA
children Wm (1837-), dau (1839-), Eliza Jane MARTIN (c1847-), Ann MONKS (1850-1921)

There was an Emma JENKINS baptised Redruth St Uny 2 Feb 1817 to William and Honor. William and Honor are in Fowey in 1841

HO107/145/1 Folio 32 Page 3
Fore Street
Fowey

JENKIN William 50 Y Assayer
JENKIN Honor 45 Y
JENKIN Richard 19 Y
JENKIN Mary 20 Y
JENKIN James 10
JENKIN Edwin 8
JENKIN William 7

William JENKIN = Honour Barrett LAWRENCE 16 Apr 1811 Redruth St Uny

They did have some of their children baptised in Fowey
Jane Lawrence 15 Aug 1824
Richard William 15 Aug 1824
James Samuel 27 Sep 1829
Edwin Samuel 7 May 1841

and in Redruth St Uny
William Lawrence 21 Jul 1811
John Lawrence 3 Feb 1813
Alfred 6 Feb 1815
Mary Lawrence 2 Jan 1820

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris, Sorry it has taken me a while to get back, been a bit busy. Thank you for the information, it has certainly added to that which I already have and is starting to fill in some blanks. All of the information you have posted is correct except for one point which is at odds. The son aged 3 years on the date of application for free travel was William Alfred Higman Couch, my ancestor, but the birth of John Jenkin Couch is at odds because the child listed as 9months on the date of application was female, I don't have a name for this child and until recently was totally unknown to me. There is a birth of a John Couch but not until about 1845/46. The only way it would appear that John Jenkin Couch could fit in is if he were one of a twin or he died early, less than 1 year old, and Emma fell pregnant again quickly after the birth of John and gave birth to a daughter. I do have fairly reliable and full information of the family over here in South Australia but it is their life in Cornwall that I am trying to fill in, especially burial sites. Thank you, Steve63   

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 21:18 BST (UK) »
There is also (dates slightly awry from above)

Birth
John Jenkin Laurence Couch Q2 1838, St Austell, Vol 9, p16

death
John Lawrence Jenkin Couch q1 1839, St Austell Vol 9 p   9

could this be birth registration of the girl child you seek?
Agness Lawrence Couch Q3 1839 St Austell, Vol 9 p12

Offline Steve63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabel, Fantastic, thank you for that you have cleared up a question that has been bugging me for some time and you and Kris have added a new family member in the confirmation of John. When Kris mentioned him I was wondering as he isn't mentioned in our Family Bible or anywhere on the lists that I have looked at. All I need now is the burial site for James and Ann and I will be able to stop by and pay my respects when I am over there later this year. Thank you, Steve63.