Author Topic: Archibald McKillop and Janet McMillan Isle of Arran  (Read 15268 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald McKillop and Janet McMillan Isle of Arran
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 21:57 BST (UK) »

Just as background on Archibald McKillop and Janet McMillan, are these their details here from the manifest:

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=563&p=localities.britisles.scotland.but.general

Archibald McKillop
Janet McMillan
Children
Donald – “Valdie” died in Dakota
Mary – located in Missouri
Malcolm – died a few years after arriving
Angus – located in Hamilton, Ontario
Archibald

Just spotted this - suspect that the manifest details have been conflated with the story that the poster has of what happened to the passengers after the journey - and possibly a mistake has been made.

I suggest that Valdie = Baldy = a commonly used contraction of the name Archibald. Possibly Donald and Archibald have been confused in this case?

Kind regards, Arranroots :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Prairie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 June 13 22:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry I have been off searching other family lines. I didn't realize I had used an email address I don't often check so I didn't know anyone had responded.

Yes, Arranroots I believe this is my family. My great great great grandmother Mary McKillop Thurber was living in Missouri with her daughter, Carrie, who I think married a cousin, Malcolm McKillop. As you can see I have had difficulty researching this family with so many of the names being repeated over and over. Are you saying this manifest is incorrect and someone was trying to make them fit?

Offline Prairie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 June 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
It doesn't look like Mary McKillop Thurber continued the naming pattern with her own children except for the first two. First born was Drusilla named for Mary's husband Harley's mother. Second born was Archibald assuming after Mary's father. But after that the names do not repeat. There is Calvin, Henry, Mary Jane, Martha, George Weber, Caroline Lee Jeanette or Janette and then Charles Edward. Archibald, Henry, George, and Charles died as infants or in childhood. Calvin died serving in the Civil War. Only her daughters survived to have families of their own. Only name that was repeated was Mary so no clues there.

Offline Prairie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 June 13 00:07 BST (UK) »
You may find of interest that Carrie McKillop's daughter Mary Ethel married John Stafford and their daughter was Jean Stafford who won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. In a biography of Jean's there is a chapter that mentions she travelled to the Isle of Arran but not much is written about her visit or the McKillop family. It is more or less what was going on in her life. Of what I have read about her she disliked her parents. I wonder if there had been anything written about her visit to Arran?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 June 13 09:06 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

I am wondering whether the passenger list has been written to fit the names that people were known by, rather than directly transcribed (though I might be wrong & am not implying anything untoward!)

Wow the Pulitzer is impressive! You could try contacting the Arran Heritage Centre to see whether they have records of the visit. Local papers might well have covered it, not sure which depending on the date as they come & go!

www.arranmuseum.co.uk

Kind regards, Arranroots :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Prairie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 June 13 13:12 BST (UK) »
I have information on Archibald and Janet's son Angus which states he was born on the Isle of Arran and married Ann McGilvray in Quebec, Canada. On Ancestry I found an OPR with marriages and am confused why it was attached to Angus. Is the first name listed on the record the father of the groom? I'm assuming it is. So far I'm finding it difficult to read the record and am not sure what the connection to Angus is.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 07 June 13 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Prairie,
Looking at the marriage of Angus McKillop to Anne McGillivray 1847 Quebec.
He was born circa 1810
Unfortunately no parents are listed on the cert but according to census data, this family moved to Michigan around 1870.
Angus died in Michigan in 1872 and his parents are listed as Archibald and CATHERINE McKillop
Anne died in Michigan 1915. Her father's name was McGilvery

Offline Prairie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 June 13 16:02 BST (UK) »
Angus marriage record - I guess I was just confused with all the names repeating and forgot who I was looking for. Thank you for clarifying his marriage. I've just started reading "The Annals of Megantic County" and it's helping me keep the families straight although I think I still need a chart in front of me when researching them. The McKillop family is definitely challenging.