Author Topic: Norwegian ancestry - who would have thought it!  (Read 11183 times)

Offline Yazz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Norwegian ancestry - who would have thought it!
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Pi thank you that's great info. So we share 1and 2. 3 must be brothers... and that's where we both descend from. Did you notice that somebody called ruby henry are also connected to the Torrison  link? Do you have a tree ??

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 22:37 BST (UK) »
I must say this is all very exciting that we have managed to link.  I believe that Pi and Yazz are still in London.  Thanks to the adventurous Frances (Fanny) Mattingly nee Torrison who somehow got herself from Rotherhithe to Hartlepool in 1851 to marry William Shadforth (mariner), the Torrison descendants on my tree come from County Durham and Yorkshire.  Funny how these things happen.

I have a tree on Ancestry if anyone wants to have a look. 
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rubyhenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
My line is through John and Barbara's daughter, Barbara Torrison who married Richard Mattingley.
They had Emma Mattingley who married Thomas Vickers and had a daughter Emma Vickers.
She married Charles Smith and had another daughter called Emma.
Emma Smith married John Bartlett and my grandmother was born, Rose Bartlett
Rose married Edwin Griffiths and my mum Glenis Griffiths married David Almond and they had me! Clair.
Incidentally Emma Vickers and Charles smith had another daughter called Elizabeth Smith and her great grandchildren still live in rotherhithe and we still see each other and refer to each other as cousins

Hope that helps a bit
RubyHenry (Clair)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 22:40 BST (UK) »
Out of interest Pi and Yazz, have you managed to find Han's family before he came to England?  I think (hope) I managed to get him back further for Greensleeves a couple of years ago.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hello RubyHenry(Clair) - just looked at my Ancestry FT and I have your line down to Emma Vickers and I hadn't gone any further on that line yet.  I'm descended from Emma Mattingley's sister Frances (Fanny).
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Rubyhenry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 22:51 BST (UK) »
You might find it difficult to get past Emma Vickers as she never actually married Charles Smith. It's just lucky that as a family we knew she was a Vickers. Then it was difficult because of all the Smiths!

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Ha ha, seems like a family trait then!   ;D  We have quite a few skeletons in the cupboard on that line, I'm sure. But they seem so interesting, and I've always wondered how Fanny met William Shadforth from Hartlepool, Co Durham, who became her husband on census day 1851.  The census return shows them as married but living in different houses - following the wedding they were staying with different Shadforth relatives presumably. Hopefully better arrangements were actually found for the wedding night itself!  I also wonder whether Fanny ever had any further contact with her Rotherhithe family, or did she just travel north and disappear. 

Offline Yazz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
Wonderful new info. Thanks everyone. I have a tree on ancestry feel free to have a look. It's called Razaq after my mum and Dad I received some new hints and they seem to be about Hans and Barbara parents... which one of them came from Denmark I think ?! 

Offline Pi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 23:03 BST (UK) »
Wow, this is all great stuff !! I've not been able to find out any further details as to where John and Barbara came from. It's the one thing I would really like to find out. They had two elder daughters before Barbara and Thomas and moved south of the river between the births of Barbara and Thomas. It seems the girls where christened in the east end and then recristened in Rotherhithe later as was Thomas. The area of Rotherhithe they lived in was the Scandinavian quarter of London around St Olaves Church. Many of the roads in that area have Scandinavian names.
Coincidentally,  my grandparents moved to the north east for a time and my dad spent a few years as a child in Spennymoor. My great uncle moved there too and stayed but he and his wife had no descendants.
I only have a written family tree I'm afraid. I'll have a look on what you have on Ancestry

Pi (Tom)