Author Topic: William PEARCE - marriage  (Read 3814 times)

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William PEARCE - marriage
« on: Tuesday 23 April 13 11:49 BST (UK) »
An ancestor of mine, John Pearce/Pearse was baptised in 1830 at St. Gluvias to parents William and Mary. I believe they also had these children, William (1824), Mary Ann (1826), Elisabeth (1831), James (1836), Jane (1837) and Eliza (1843). I have found the family in the censuses, according to John's censuses and a few of the others he was born in South Petherwin, but only late did the family move there. I can't find a marriage of William snr. and Mary, I realise it is possible that they didn't marry.

According to censuses and burial records, William was born in 1782 (I believe to William and Catherine Pearce) and Mary was born around 1794 in South Petherwin. I can't find a baptism for a Mary in that area in the time frame.

Can anyone help?   :)

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: William Pearce's marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 18:52 BST (UK) »
Have you found the registration of the birth of Eliza 1843?

The certificate would give you her mother's surname, with which to look for the parents' marriage and the mother's baptism.

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=2055997

Eliza Pearce baptism, 25 Dec 1843, parents William (blacksmith) and Mary Ann, resident at Penryn?

Jane, 03 Sept 1837, shows the same info for the parents:

http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=baptisms&id=2055402

I'm not sure what reg dist we're looking at, but I don't think there are birth registrations, unfortunately.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
St Gluvias is in Falmouth RD.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 02:59 BST (UK) »
No I couldn't find any birth registrations. There were a lot of Elizabeths but no Elizas.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: William PEARCE - marriage
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Blamcca,

Have you discounted William PEARCE = Marianne HARDING 8 Dec 1821 St Gluvias?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12430-357-48?cc=1769414&wc=MMVH-VLC:1040759456

Son Richard baptised 2 Aug 1822 parents William (Blacksmith OF Penryn) and Marianne

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12430-1194-76?cc=1769414&wc=MMVH-V26:1268863064
Son William baptised 2 Aug 1824 parents William (Blacksmith OF Penryn) and Mary
(just go to image 80)

Cheers Kris  :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 09:48 BST (UK) »
I hadn't come across that one Kris, I think that may be the one I am after  :)
Thank you very much, that was one part of the family that had really been bothering me.
Now I just need to try and find the birth of Mary/Marianne.  :-\

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 14:00 BST (UK) »
Excellent marriage find!

The trick with the OPC search function is that you can't use wildcards, but you can use just the first few letters of a name. So, for instance, I searched for surname PEAR in this case, which would catch both Pearce and Pearse. I wasn't expecting a variation on Mary so I didn't search for MAR as the bride's given name. ;)

The coverage page at the OPC site shows that it has baptisms for South Petherwin only 1656-1735 and 1875-1911, so that would omit the period when your Mary/ianne was born. FamilySearch doesn't have the images for that period either. You might contact the OPC for the parish to ask whether any info is available.

edit -- deleting bumph, see Kris's messages following and my later post.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Blamcca,

I am afraid I am somewhat confused here,

I note you mention William and Mary were born in South Petherwin, yet the St Gluvias couple according to census were William b Mylor about 1796 and Mary St East/St Erth about 1801. 1841 census children William 16, Mary 14, John 12, Elizabeth 10 and Jane 4.

Now there is a South Petherwin couple born about the same time as you suggest yet these are not the parents of the St Gluvias Children whose parents were William a Blacksmith and Mary.  ???

This St Petherwin William was an ag lab, suggested birth Nth Petherwin Devon. Mary b South Petherwin Children in 1841 Jane 15, John 10, Maria 8 and James 5. (possibly William PEARSE and Mary ROOSE mar 29 Mar 1815 South Petherwin)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-16101-61724-93?cc=1769414&wc=MMVH-VHX:n1229294109

Certainly not the same couple. North and South Petherwin are near the border - nowhere near St Gluvias. Is the South Petherwin couple your family of interest or is it the St Gluvias couple?

Now you mention John - well both couples had sons John. John PEARSE 28 Mar 1830 South Petherwin to William and Mary.

Kris   ???

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 14:40 BST (UK) »
If the Sth Petherwin couple is your family of interest she would be

Mary ROOSE baptised 23 Feb 1794 to John and Joan

John ROOSE = Joan ROOSE 24 Oct  1791  Sth Petherwin.

Kris