Author Topic: Advice, Guidance and General help required with Australian research  (Read 6765 times)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice, Guidance and General help required with Australian research
« on: Tuesday 23 April 13 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I'll try and keep this very brief because it is quite complicated.  A fellow researcher and I are trying to unravel a family tree for the Skinner family.  You will find many, many family trees for them on Ancestry (most incorrect).  Looking at the family starting  from Henry Skinner (b.1792 Brightling, Sussex) he allegedly married Mary Kemp* and had 9 children. Many of whom left England for Australia at various times.  We have parish records for their births, all in England, which do give a mother's name but only 'Mary' no maiden name. Also we have immigration ship manifest information and for some definite death details. However, we have never been able to find a marriage for Henry & Mary KEMP.  New research seem to indicate that Henry was married to a Mary BISHOP whom he had his first four children with.  What we would like to do is find out who is the mother for the remainder -Mary Bishop or Kemp. 

We feel our best way forward would be to look at the Australian records.  For example death certificates or cemetery records or any other Austrialian records that anyone could suggest that would name parents. Also how to obtain these things!

Names we are looking for are as follows:
Henry Skinner (b.1814 Ospringe, Kent) immigrated to Australia. A drifter and wanderer who ended his days with his brother Tom in Yankallia, S. Australia. Not sure of immigration date my notes say 1862 but I have other details that now contradict that.
Eleanor Catherine (Skinner) Rummery (b.1819 Brightling, Sussex) lived in Windsor NSW married to Richard. Information found in immigration record indicates her mother is Mary Bishop. Immigrated 1839
Thomas Skinner (b. 1821 Brightling, Sussex)  Immigrated to Yankallia, S. Australia in 1854
George Skinner (b1824 Brightling, Sussex) Immigrated to Rouse Hill, NSW 1848.  His dc information indicates his mother was Mary Kemp
James Skinner (b. 1826 Brightling, Sussex) Joined Henry, Eleanor & George in Parramatta in 1849
Last two Maria Frances and John remained in the UK. One other sibling Mary Ann went to America

So to clarify we wish to confirm the Mother of the names above.  We have lots of other information all ready.

Thanks very much for any help  :)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Advice, Guidance and General help required with Australian research
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 23:18 BST (UK) »
Death certificate information is only as good as the informant gives therefore errors can be made.

Have you got a marriage for George? His marriage certificate might be more reliable.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 23:28 BST (UK) »
From the NSW free bmd index
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

DEATH
6996/1881  RUMMERY  ELLEN parents  WILLIAM & MARY J  at GLEN INNES.

This indexing does not give mothers surname, but the certificate will if it was known to the informant  .  The father's name is incorrect, but she is the most likely ELLEN/ELEANOR RUMMERY listed in NSW. It is not a common name.

A less expensive alternative to ordering a copy of the original certificate is through a Transcription Agent . 

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Here is a link to what you may find on
Australian certificates-
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

The RUMMERY's had a number of children in NSW and you will be able to see those registered using the search link above.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 23:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks both for your guidance. 

I am unclear what information I would find in any BMD cert from Aus.  so will have a look on the sites you mentioned.  Eleanor (or Ellen) Rummery is buried at Rouse Hill Cemetery.  I understand she had 11 children but I have not followed this up!  The death entry posted for Eleanor does not look correct especially the parents.  She died in Windsor 1879

Of the names given only George was married in Australia.  He married in Dural, NSW to Ann Moulds in 1853.  Thomas & Eleanor married prior to leaving England.  I am uncertain if Henry or James married at all.

Thanks again will have a look tomorrow! 

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
Headstone for Rummery's

http://austcemindex.com/inscription.php?id=3256736

NBSurname on headstone is spelt with one M and not 2

Death index
9623/1879    RUMERY    ELANOR C    HENRY    UNKNOWN    WINDSOR

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 00:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just a snippet from an 1895 newspaper re the Probate for George Skinner late of Rouse Hill.

Under 'Legal Notices'

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14021379?searchTerm=

Note that the Executor is John RUMERY (in the Will as RUMMERY)

Gerry

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 00:23 BST (UK) »
This lot have some pretty impressive headstones.

George Skinner's headstone

http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/cemetery/rouse_hill/rhac106.html

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 00:53 BST (UK) »
Giblet's index finding is clearly the right person ;D

The certificate will not help with mother's name :(

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk