Author Topic: Advice, Guidance and General help required with Australian research  (Read 6786 times)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice, Guidance and General help required with Australian research
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 01:00 BST (UK) »
I wonder if George's 1853 marriage cert. have mother's maiden name on it. I have some certificates from around that era and they are pretty lousy with info  ::)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 01:07 BST (UK) »
I wonder if George's 1853 marriage cert. have mother's maiden name on it. I have some certificates from around that era and they are pretty lousy with info  ::)

Yes, and sometimes the people marrying did not even know it anyway!
Probably worth  try just the same.  The witnesses to the marriage may be of interest too.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 01:19 BST (UK) »
You will find a list here of what info is on certificates - note that each state is different, and also varies depending on the time period.

http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

Do you have any other mention of the BISHOP name other than Ellen/Eleanor's immigration record?  She only names her mother, so the assumption might be that her father was deceased. 

I believe I can see the whole family in 1841 at Burwash, including Henry, so it seems extremely odd that she didn't name her father on the immigration record.

Debra  :)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 09:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies and links! I do have quite a few photos of the various graves thanks to the kindness of other researchers.    In the intervening years since I have had the photos so much has been put on line.   :)   Yes the graves are well impressive!  Thanks once again.

So according the the jaunay site really it would be a waste trying to get the dc for Henry and Tom who we know died in S. Australia.  But for George, Eleanor & James who died Riverstone, Rouse Hill, Parramatta area it would be worth while.  I do have a really blurry copy of George's cert I can just about make out parents Henry Skinner and Mary Kemp.  I think where it says date or place of marriage it says 'unknown'.  So where can I buy these?  Sorry  being a bit thick here.  Anyway just bit the bullet and bought certs for George, Ellen and James.  Did not like price.  Is there a similar website for S. Australian deaths?  Adelaide and Yankallia area?  Ta

Dundee: Do you have any other mention of the BISHOP name other than Ellen/Eleanor's immigration record?  She only names her mother, so the assumption might be that her father was deceased.     Yes I know! That is part of the dilemma.  I cannot understand why she does not name her father because No he is not dead!  We do have Eleanor's baptism entry but annoyingly it only states parents as Henry and Mary.  In fact this is the problem with the whole family so we need to verify which Mary.  My theory is that children Henry, Mary Ann, Eleanor and Thomas belong to Mary Bishop.  Then Mary Bishop dies or perhaps he abandons them and takes up with Mary Kemp (does he marry her?) and then goes on to have George, James, Maria, John and an unnamed child.  Henry (the father) goes on to marry again (!) to a Sarah Mann in 1843.  They have no children.  But I think he leaves her because they can be found living separately in the 1861 census Henry with his son John in Kent. He says he's a widower.   Mary with a married daughter in Sussex. 

I believe I can see the whole family in 1841 at Burwash, including Henry, so it seems extremely odd that she didn't name her father on the immigration record.  Yes exactly that is them.  But who is the Mary?  Mary Kemp or Mary Bishop?

So any place where we might find the Mother's maiden name is what we are desperate for.

Thanks all

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
Just a thought  ;D

I dont have any info on Richard Rumery but could Bishop be his mother's name and not Eleanor's mothers maiden name  :-\

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
here is a site for free transcriptions of Adelaide deaths etc.
http://www.gravesecrets.net/adelaide-bdm-free-transcriptions.html

did you know that you can get transcriptions of NSW certs which are cheaper and e-mailed to you
(on NSW BDM site)

cheers,
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 11:18 BST (UK) »
Ros that website is only for deaths registered in the Adelaide [Ade] district but not Yankalilla [Yan].

Death
SKINNER Henry
20 Jun 1887  73 years  Status not recorded  No relative noted
Residence Adelaide  Death Place Adelaide   Ade Symbol S  164/162

S. Supplementary Information. Additional unusual information included such as:
·   Previous Residence Listed.
·   Length of Residence in Colony Stated.
·   Deceased Child's Father is Deceased.
·   Deceased Maiden Name is Listed.
·   Junior/Senior of Deceased is listed.
·   Younger Son
·   Prison
·   State Child.
·   Guardian Named.
·   Adelaide Destitute or Lunatic Asylum listed ad  Residence or Death Place.
·   Unusual Death or amount of information on circumstances of Death.
·   Sister of Church if known as -  religious name stated.
·   Fuller details available re deaths at sea - longitude and latitude.
·   Final names reduced to initials due to space problems
·   Remarriage on post 1906 registrations unusual enough to warrant this.

Henry is interred at West Terrace Cemetery, Adelaide and the database for the cemetery has the date of death instead of the date of interment.

SKINNER Henry 73 years
Date of Death 21 June 1887  [Date of burial]
Last abode Adelaide 
Location Unknown.  I would suggest he may have been buried in in common ground.

Death
SKINNER Thomas
2 Apr 1902  80 years  Status not recorded  No relative recorded
Residence Yankalilla  Death Place Yankalilla  Yan 285/225

The only information you will find on these death certificates, if known to the informant.....
    Date of Death
    Name
    Sex
    Usual Residence
    Cause of Death
    Place of Death
    Informant

Transcriptions of certificates is available in SA.  I did this post some time ago and SAGHS have increased their fee to $22 for non members. 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,280572.msg1367795.html#msg1367795

Thomas's MI at Yankalilla
http://austcemindex.com/inscription.php?id=4516631

Cheers
Cando  :)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again everyone

Thanks for your input. 

giblet- Nice thought - but no for that one

rosbal-  No I did not know about the NSW BMD site!    :(  That would have been better.  Never mind.  Added:Yes I did  :(   have just read more thorougly about a transcription agent, which was suggested to me earlier.   Went on that site to order certs More haste less speed!

cando - Thanks I will have a look at the site you mention.  Yes, know about the cemetery at Yank

Of Henry- my fellow researcher has contacted the cemetery already.  Reply as follows:

Henry Skinner was a resident of the Destitute Asylum in Adelaide when he died. His funeral was paid for by the state. His burial site was in an area in the south east corner of the cemetery where a workshop/maintenance facility was built in the 1970’s.  There was not a memorial to him on the site.

This is why I am loathed to buy a certificate for him.  The information is only as good as the informant provides.  So if he was in an asylum I wouldn't expect them to know much about him. Do you know if it would be hard to get info from the Destitute Asylum in Adelaide?  What information would be contained in the records?  My little niggle here is that a family letter says that Henry died when at his brother Tom's house.  And we know Tom lived in Yankallia, unless the writer of the letter was not being truthful!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 12:15 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't bother purchasing Henry's cert.  Well now you know the Symbol S refers to his death in the destitute asylum.

You may find these links helpful.  I never have time to visit SLSA or SA Records when in Adelaide so can't help you. 

http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/sa/biogs/SE00547b.htm
http://www.archives.sa.gov.au/readingroom/aids/asylumcard.html?friendly=print

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk