Author Topic: James Carroll  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Wexfordskid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Carroll
« on: Wednesday 24 April 13 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am new to this so I am not exactly sure how it works. I am looking for information on my great great grandfather - James Carroll - From information gathered by the census and also by family members, he lived in Talbot st. in Wexford Town Co. Wexford. His estimated year of birth is 1871 as he was 30 years old for the 1901 census. He married a Johanna Gainfort who hailed from Broadway/Ladys Island. They had several children, my great grandfather being one of them. The family have no knowledge of James Carrolls life previous to 1901. From family stories we are pretty sure he also had a twin sister. And also that they were not from Wexford town , maybe further north in wexford or even wicklow. He had relatives in Carnew named Dorcy/Darcy , who presumably owned a tailor shop in Carnew. Any kind of information would be of great interest to me. Thank you

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: James Carroll
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 11:43 BST (UK) »
for reference here's the family in 1901

Carroll household, Talbot St., Wexford town

James is listed as a Coachman on this census, and all the family are listed as born 'Co. Wexford'.
p.s. Maggies' age is actually 2 years, and Ellen's is 10 months 

and ten years later : 

Carroll household, 1911

All born 'Wexford', and gives years married for James &Johanna as 13 years, so c1898

A search for marriage under Johanna's name (the less common of the two surnames) on the BMD Index shows this possible marriage in Wexford registration district:

Name : Johanna M Gainfort
  Record Type: Marriage
  Quarter and Year: Jan-Mar 1898
  Registration District: Wexford
  Volume: 4 / Page: 563

A matching entry (same district, quarter/year, volume & page) appears for a James Carroll so a possible cross-match .

A research marriage cert, if it turns out to be correct, from the GRO would give you further details of the marriage, such as occupations, residences of the bride & groom, father's names etc

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
        Details included on a Marriage Cert

and : Introduction to Irish Records

Moderator Note : Topic moved to Wexford board
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Wexfordskid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 11:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help I will research further into it now and hopefully get somewhere with pre 1901 on James Carroll!Thanks again

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 14:23 BST (UK) »
all possible ancestors. birth from family search.org johanna gainfort 4th july 1874 broadway wexford dtr of benjamin gainfort and ellen sinnott.from the 1901 and 1911 censuses it would appear that they are separated if its the right family. 1901 Ellen at house no 1 Tedwards Ladysisland wexford age 52,1911 at 3 Shilmore Ladysisland age 62. married 38 years.Benjamin at 31 Selskar st wexford in 1901 age 60 and at house no 3 Sleedagh newcastle co wexford in 1911 age 65 married 50 ?? years that cant be right as he's 65,occupation groom/coachman.Ellen a Post mistress.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 14:42 BST (UK) »
benjamin was employed by surgeon major edward acton gibbon j p for wexford.

Offline Wexfordskid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi yes they were seperated that is the correct family, I have as far back as ellens father, they were from maudlintown, and benjamen was from drinagh. How did you com across the information of his employer? fascinating to know if it was the person he worked for! any idea where it was located, I know he was addressed in selskar/ abbey street area. Thanks again

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 April 13 08:56 BST (UK) »
on the 1901 census image head of house hold is edward acton gibbon and in the part for rank or profession it says who he is. benjamin is listed as living in a shop in 1911 see building returns. i then googled edward acton gibbon j p wexford and got some info on him.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 13 14:32 BST (UK) »
could these be connected , michael darcy married to kate flaherty at family search.org in shillelagh july sept 1900 vol 2/859. cant find them on 1901 census but at no 6 in o'tooles open, arklow. 1911 michael age 30 a tailor. just a long shot.

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 April 13 10:31 BST (UK) »
Here's the baptism entries for James Carroll's first two children - Margaret born on 30 Oct 1898 and Ellen born on 20 May 1900. The family were living in Maudlintown at this time which I assume is the Maudlintown at the South end of Wexford town.

(The Maudlintown in the Townland of Whiterock South just outside the town to the South East tends to be described as 'Distillery Road' in the local Parish registers)

Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester