Author Topic: Holland: Drowned Sea Captain’s Burial at Helvoet 1880  (Read 3989 times)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Holland: Drowned Sea Captain’s Burial at Helvoet 1880
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Michael,

Sorry to hear that you have been unwell, hope you are now on the road to recovery. 

Thanks for confirming your grandfather's death in 1937.  I have a note of his burial on the 12th January aged 56 in Linthorpe Cemetery.  Thank you also for pointing me in the right direction for the 1911 entry.  The image on Find My Past has been transcribed as Mewby age 20 so no wonder I didn't find him!  I have suggested a suitable correction to FindMyPast.

Tillypeg

Offline Micknewby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Tillypeg

Yes, there are lots of problems with transcriptions with Mewby and Nuby being the most common. Also, as you will know, Gran’s maiden name was Hawxwell which is usually transcribed as Hauxwell but I have seen Housewell.

Gran is buried next to Grandad John Newby in Linthorpe Cemetery, alongside two of their grandsons, John Noel Newby (my oldest brother known as Noel, died January 1941, aged 4) and Ian Murray (son of my aunt Kathleen, died January 1947, less than a year old). Noel died before I was born, but I do remember his name being mentioned within the family when I was young and going to the grave with my Mam and Gran. I also remember Gran’s burial on a bitterly cold January morning. I have photos of the grave taken by my older brother Malcolm about 10 years ago, but at the moment they are all too large to attach even when converted to pdf files. I will try to crop them to make them smaller and then post them. Earlier this year we went to visit the grave and although we knew roughly where it was, it seems to have disappeared.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Michael

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mick,

Thanks for all this info about the burials.  I have sent you a Personal Message as you have now done 3 posts, so you should be able to send & receive PMs now.

Best wishes to you & your family.

Tillypeg