Author Topic: Bogend, Midmar Parish, Cluny (1891 Census among other sources)  (Read 8677 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
Bogend, Midmar Parish, Cluny (1891 Census among other sources)
« on: Wednesday 24 April 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am seeking some advice on an address listed in records as Bogend.

In 1891 it was the home of Alexander McDonald, his son James Drysdale McDonald and James' wife Elizabeth Muirson.

I am not directly related to the McDonalds, as I am descended from Elizabeth through her illegitmate daughter Maggie Ann Kidd Murison, who in 1891 was living with the family at Bogend.

According to his birth certificate, in 1899 Maggie's son (my grandfather) Charles Smith Murison was born at Bogend.

I have found aercheological references to a couple of ruins named Bogend Cottage but these appear to be in different parishes.  In addition, one of James and Elizabeth's children Barbara Ferguson McDonald appears to have died at Bogend as late as 1983.

Any information about the actual location of Bogend would be appreciated.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Update: Bogend, Shiels, Midmar Parish, Cluny (1891 Census among other sources)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 April 13 06:34 BST (UK) »
A small update.

On some family records, Bogend is described as Bogend, Shiels.

Looking at a copy of the Ordnance Survey Maps One-inch "Popular" edition, Scotland, 1921-1930
online from the National Library of Scotland I located Shiels, represented on the map with a group of black squares indicating a number of buildings.  Not surprisingly, not far south from where Talpabrae from my other request was located.  I have now also located modern-day Shiels on Google maps.

I would still like to pin down an actual location for Bogend.  I have it as still occupied by the family on the 1911 census, which might be as far as I can take that line of enquiry.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Bogend, Midmar Parish, Cluny (1891 Census among other sources)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 13 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried checking the Valuation Rolls? Online the only years available at present on the pay to view site www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk are 1905 and 1915.

For example , in 1905 there are two entries showing in Midmar with a Bogend reference. In 1915, there are six entries.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 13 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion about the Valuation Rolls.  It has been helpful.

I grabbed the 1905 record for Bogend + Mcdonald.  It confirmed that Bogend was a house on the Estate of Shiels, and listed a number of crofts, farms and houses on the estate.

I have scoured the 6 inch Ordnance maps from 1869 and 1902, and most of the residences named on the roll are named on the maps.  Two that are on the roll are not identified by name on the map, and Bogend is one of those.

Although I have not specifically located Bogend I have a good idea about the general location.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 April 13 10:56 BST (UK) »
"Any information about the actual location of Bogend would be appreciated."

I decided to go a run in the car to dig a litle more this morning.
Bogend Cottage no longer exists. It has been demolised and built over, with the name being changed to "The Neuk". It was/is situated right at the corner between "Scottiestone" and "Nether Shiels". Although all the old maps show a building at the corner, none of them seem to have it named. The new one is on Google Street View. It had no running water. I was given the history by a very nice octogenarian woman who lives just down the road, and used to care for one of the women who lived at the cottage.

Regards

Malky

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 April 13 13:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so, so much.

I had wondered if that house on the corner (in the old maps) could be it - it seemed the most substantial unnamed building on the estate.  Now I know.

Your effort is very greatly appreciated.  We hope to come over in the next couple of years, if you are still around perhaps I can return the kindness.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 April 13 16:27 BST (UK) »
Aberdeen Journal, 6 July 1942
ROYAL GREETINGS TO CLUNY COUPLE
A telegram from the King and Queen was amongst the messages of congratulations received by Mr and Mrs D M'Donald, Bogend Cottage, Tillyfourie, on the occasion of their diamond wedding

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 April 13 23:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that lead.

Three weeks ago I knew very little about my grandfather.

Thanks to the British Newspaper Archive site I now have a photograph of my great-great-grandmother and her husband.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 January 14 03:10 GMT (UK) »
"Any information about the actual location of Bogend would be appreciated."

I decided to go a run in the car to dig a litle more this morning.
Bogend Cottage no longer exists. It has been demolised and built over, with the name being changed to "The Neuk". It was/is situated right at the corner between "Scottiestone" and "Nether Shiels". Although all the old maps show a building at the corner, none of them seem to have it named. The new one is on Google Street View. It had no running water. I was given the history by a very nice octogenarian woman who lives just down the road, and used to care for one of the women who lived at the cottage.

Regards

Malky

And had it still been there, here's how it would have looked:

This is Bogend Cottage shortly before demolition. 

I have another photo taken while it was still inhabited, possibly around the 1930s.