Author Topic: Henry Hancock B. 1814 and Sarah Ayres B. 1814 Wooburn Bucks  (Read 1632 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Hancock B. 1814 and Sarah Ayres B. 1814 Wooburn Bucks
« on: Wednesday 24 April 13 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
This Hancock family have been left resting by me for the last couple of years.  Yesterday I resurrected them and now remember why I left them!
A Hancock family became Mormons in the mid 1800s.
They went America after 1861
I have the 1st child Sarah on the 1841 census with the wife's family but no sign of the parents.
There are may trees on Ancestry with this family but they call my 'Henry'  William Henry and he has different parents. 
I have no idea where I got James Hancock and Jane Andrew as Henry's parents and I don't have any for Sarah.
Can anybody help me tie up this family.  If I am wrong then the whole branch is not mine.  Shame because the Mormon part is interesting.
Below is an excerpt from

"The pattern of missionary work and emigration.

Even though the Mormons at Wooburn Green experienced serious opposition, similar to those at Simpson, the Wooburn Branch was
able to meet in public. Although a meetinghouse was not reported in
the 1851 Census of Religious Worship,96 a local trade directory of 1853
indicated that among the other Churches in Wooburn Green, the
Mormons also had a place of worship.97 It was identified as a “Mormon
Chapel.”98 However, historical evidence indicates there was no dedicated Church building in Wooburn Green, and the trade directories do
not include a location of the building. However, the name of Henry
Hancock, the second branch president of the Wooburn Branch, does appears in the Wooburn Green Census Records for the years 1851 and
By carefully calculating the route taken by the census taker and
using known landmarks that existed then and still exist today (for example, “The Red Lion Inn” Public House pictured below)100 it was
possible to establish the residence occupied by Henry Hancock and his
family during that time period. This information became increasingly
interesting because the 1861 census records that a “Minister of the Latter-day Saints” named George Alfred Wiscombe was also residing with
the Hancock family. This led to the notion that an official minister of
the Church residing in the home might indicate the home may have
been used for Church meetings, and may have even been the “Mormon
Chapel” reported in the local trade directories of 1853.
This was confirmed when an entry in Henry Hancock’s eldest
daughter Sarah’s life history was discovered which states “Church leaders in Wooburn held meetings in the Hancock home.”101 Fortunately,
this home is still extant today and is included in the local Historical Site
index as “No. 36” on “The Green” in Wooburn102 verifying that it did in fact exist at the time a “Mormon Chapel” was listed in Mussen and
Craven’s Commercial Directory noted above. Pictures of the Hancock residence, which doubled as the “Mormon Chapel” (No. 36 on The
Green), as well as the “Red Lion Inn,” are displayed below.
Figure 3. Hancock residence, which doubled as the “Mormon
Chapel

Henry is Henry in the above and also on both the 51 and 61 census.

Any Roots chatters any ideas on how to prove that my Henry is Henry :-\

Abiam2

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Hancock B. 1814 and Sarah Ayres B. 1814 Wooburn Bucks
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
In the Wooburn PRs (Bucks FHS CD) there is this baptism:

19 Dec 1813 Henry child of William & Mary Handcock of Wooburn, papermaker.

I can't find anything for Sarah, other than:

baptised 6 Jun 1813 Sarah d/o John Turner & Mary Handcock of Wooburn.  may be totally irrelevant but I looked to see if Mary Handcock had married and found:

8 Jun 1835 William Bunce X bach otp & Mary Hancock X sp otp
Witnesses: William X Hancock, Sarah X Ayris, William King
with consent of friends.

Not sure if that complicates things even more? When did your Henry & Sarah marry?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Hancock B. 1814 and Sarah Ayres B. 1814 Wooburn Bucks
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,
Remember you well from my days in Spain.  I'm beginning already to wish I hadn't picked this up again!
What you have found is  'my' Henry well it should be  (as he's not called William Henry) but 'my' family
don't fit!
I have ordered the Wooburn births from the FHS should arrive tomorrow so perhaps that will help me.
Will have to try and source the births of the children of the 2 families.  If it did prove to be my family it would be so interesting to research as their 1st child married into the Beazley family and all of them lived and died in the US. The father Henry married 3 times with all wives still alive.
Will let you know what happens,
Abiam2