Author Topic: Too many Morgans!  (Read 7711 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Too many Morgans!
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 31 October 21 03:42 GMT (UK) »
update.

As a result of a post on a completely unrelated thread I found the existence of PERSI on FindMyPast. I had no idea it was there.

In a 1901 issue of 'The Genealogical Magazine Vol 5 issue 56". I found this query.

John Morgan of the Inner Temple

I am seeking, for genealogical purposes, the birth and parentage of one John Morgan, of the Inner Temple, admitted a member of that society January 30 1765; called to the Bar February 8, 1771. He was a friend and contemporary of William Murray, afterwards Earl of Mansfield. It was said of these two lawyers that "The English Bar must ever command respect whilst it had Murray's eloquence and Morgan's integrity".
This John Morgan, who was cousin to Sir Chaloner Ogle, died August 30, 1803, in St. George's, Southwark, London, and in the burial register of that parish is the following entry: "3rd Sept., 1803 -John Morgan, late of Wotton Place, St George's Fields". He married Sarah ______ , and by her had issue five children, the eldest daughter, Maria, marrying in 1798 John, third Earl Carhampton (extinct). The arms of this branch of the Morgan family are, "Per pale az. and gu., three lions rampant arg."  and I find the same coat of arms is borne by the Earls of Pembroke, and note that William ap David ap Morgan, Esq, married Joan, daughter and heir of William Herbert, Esq., son of Philip, a younger son of William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke.
Arthur Edward JACKSON, 79, St Giles Street, Norwich

So OrganicJohn, I don't know if this will get us anywhere, but I hope so.
I frustratingly have to go out, so won't get to this for another 24 hours. But had a quick look at Sir Chaloner OGLE. I assume the one mentioned here is the younger of the two in Wikipedia  who would be a contemporary, rather than the other one who was Admiral of the Fleet but died 1750

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Chaloner_Ogle,_1st_Baronet

Re the address of the enquirer, 79 St Giles Street Norwich.  The descendants of Richard MORGAN (son of John) lived in St Giles Street.  Will have to look up exact details.

Also - I only have 4 children, not 5.

Maria c 1776-1857
Richard 1780-1852
Amelia 1782-1849
Edward 1785-1869
Side tracked to a friendís very interesting Norfolk families. MORGAN, PRATT, HORNOR, SUCKLING, GLEANE etc. And in London DOWNES, du CROZ, MORGAN (same MORGANs as the Norwich lot)