Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4  (Read 71156 times)

Offline Granamore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4
« Reply #243 on: Sunday 18 April 21 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Bill (if I may).

I am a direct male line descendant of William and Ann Halpin who married in 1812; they were my great-great-great grandparents and my surname is still Halpin.

As it happens I have just signed up for DNA testing - a slightly cheaper alternative to the one that you recommend but my understanding is that it will give me my Y-DNA haplogroup.

When I receive this information, perhaps I may contact you again?

Offline The Irish Antiquarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Friday 23 July 21 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hello all, many thanks for all the fascinating detail, lore and history across multiple threads. While I have endeavored to "digest" it, I made the mistake of working backward, and have mired myself somewhat in confusion. If anyone else is starting down this road, I would advise commencing reading with the first thread so that the gradual unraveling of the story can be understood and the journey can be followed. Working backward, it is very hard, for me at least, to keep everything in order.

I say the above partly to excuse the questions I have, which may have been answered already.

My current queries are specifically about George Halpin engineer, Capt Robert Halpin and Robert Wellington Halpin (1815-1883), who is my Great-Great-Great Grandfather. I am trying to establish if I am related to the aforementioned George Halpin and Capt Halpin and to get it straight in my head what claims on these threads are "factually proven" or otherwise. To this end, I will make a number of statements, and give my understanding (please recall my mea culpa above!) of the status of the claim. If someone more informed (perhaps BillW or Seanchai, if they are still active?) could chime in with corrections and a point in the direction of evidence/reasoning.

It seems that there were two sets of Halpins from Wicklow, the "Bridge Inn" Halpins and the "Main Street" Halpins.

1. Capt Halpin is of the Bridge Inn Halpins (Status: Proven).

2. Capt Halpin's father was a James Halpin (Status: Proven).

3. James Halpin's brother was George Halpin, engineer. Thus George Halpin was the uncle of Capt Halpin. (Status: Claimed. I would love to know the reasoning for this claim, and if there is documentary evidence).

4. James (and George's, if point 3 is true) parents are John and Elizabeth Halfpenny. (Status: Factually Proven via Baptism records in Wicklow?)

5. Robert Wellington Halpin (Main Street Halpins) is related to the Bridge Inn Halpins, despite a contemporary letter, claiming otherwise (is the text available?), published in a Wicklow newspaper by the Bridge Inn Halpins. (Status: Claimed. This is really the key claim here, linking the two. I have read the many contributions of Sheanchai in particular, and I find the reasoning for this hard to follow. A John is mentioned as being RW Halpins father, is this the same John Halpenny referenced above, making RW a brother of James and George? The dates don't seem to add up, half brothers perhaps? But I see it also written that Capt Halpin was a 1st cousin of RW, so is there another John in the mix somewhere, a brother to George? I'm very confused here. Who was RW Halpins father?)

That is enough queries for now, I do wish to give as well as take, so please see below photographs of the Halpin and Turnbull gravestones in St Peter's COI Church graveyard Drogheda (where I currently live). I also reproduce the text of what is written, which has been shared here previously. Samuel Halpin was the eldest brother of my Great Great Grandfather Edwin. I am keen to find out if there are any of the family left in the Louth/Meath area. The graves are a little untidy, I would be keen to give them some attention but, obviously, given the fact of such a distant relation (and indeed differing religious beliefs), this could be inappropriate if there are closer relations in charge.

Samuel, eldest son of Robert Wellington and Frances Mabella Halpin. Born in Wicklow 4th June 1846. Died at Drogheda 7th Jan.1918. Madeline M. his wife, eldest daughter of James and Margaret Turnbull.  Born in Edinburgh, 18th Oct.1847. Died in Drogheda 6th Nov.1925. Samuel son of the above.  Born 1st May 1880. Died 25th Jan.1885.  Maria Rose, (Ciss) their second daughter.  Born 26th Sep.1876. Died 27th July 1948.  Anne Christine their youngest.  Born 11 Dec.1883. Died 7th June 1964. "Peace Perfect Peace".
James Turnbull, third son of James Turnbull of Roxburgh, Scotland.  Born at Hollmount, 21st August 1814. Died at Drogheda, 15th April 1888. Also his grandson, Walter James Turnbull.  Born at Arklow 16th April 1878. Died at Drogheda 12 Sept 1880.  Also his grand-daughter Margaret Frances (Fanny) Halpin, died at Drogheda 6th June 1925. "She hath done what she could" Mark, XIV.8.  Also his youngest daughter Margaret.  Born at Wicklow 24th April 1860.  Died at Kinnitty, Kings County 3 Feby. 1928. "Blessed are the pure in heart".  His daughter Maria, widow of Edmund Rundle, late of Plymouth.  Born Dublin 22nd Feb. 1856. Died at Kinnitty, 11 Jan.1941 and interred here. "Thy Will Be Done".

Images here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWgJtf2 or hopefully, below.

Halpin and Turnbull Gravestones by The Irish Antiquarian, on Flickr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Monday 01 November 21 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Sadly it seems this thread is dead :(

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Monday 01 November 21 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I don't think so, it has just been a while since there was a new reply today  ;) BillW was online earlier in the year.

Welcome  !

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Monday 01 November 21 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I don't think so, it has just been a while since there was a new reply today  ;) BillW was online earlier in the year.

Welcome  !

Sarah
I'll keep plugging away so :)

Freeman's Journal - Wednesday 23 March 1831 features a notice of a Wicklow Steeplechase, signed by JAMES HALPIN TREASURER.

ROBERT W HALPIN later also enjoyed an association with the race course, being named as secretary to the course in numerous reports including Wicklow News-Letter and County Advertiser - Saturday 28 July 1860.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah.  I am BillW aka Bill Webster. 
The thread is not dead, just waiting for someone as good as you to infuse new information and to ask newish questions.  I somehow get the impression of not being notified of new content here, which makes it difficult to respond.
Are you in touch with other Edwin descendants?  Are any of them interested in family history other than you?  Do you know who Sheanchai is? 
If you are in Drogheda, I did not know that any of Edwin Francis's family went there.  That was his brother Samuel who married Turnbull.
Your answers should help me to answer some of your questions, if I can.
Regards, Bill.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Tuesday 02 November 21 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah.  I am BillW aka Bill Webster. 
The thread is not dead, just waiting for someone as good as you to infuse new information and to ask newish questions.  I somehow get the impression of not being notified of new content here, which makes it difficult to respond.
Are you in touch with other Edwin descendants?  Are any of them interested in family history other than you?  Do you know who Sheanchai is? 
If you are in Drogheda, I did not know that any of Edwin Francis's family went there.  That was his brother Samuel who married Turnbull.
Your answers should help me to answer some of your questions, if I can.
Regards, Bill.
Hi Bill,

Regarding the Drogheda connection, Edwin Francis Halpin's son James A Halpin had a daughter Marion, who in turn had three daughters. All three of these daughters ended up moving to Drogheda (from Dublin) at one point. Two, one of whom is my mother (sadly my aunt has since passed away) lived in Drogheda long term and raised families here. (My remaining aunt returned to Dublin). I think I am correct in saying that I and my mother are the only descendants of Edwin/James left living in Drogheda at this stage, the others having moved away to various parts of Ireland. (I hope this makes sense, a little reluctant to use other peoples names, who are alive, publicly).

I was born in Drogheda 30 or so years ago, the connection of Samuel Halpin to Drogheda was a complete surprise, none of us were aware of him and these other relations who moved to/were born in Drogheda a few generations prior until I came across this thread, and I went and found the graves, the photos of which I shared earlier. I am in touch with my cousins who were also born in Drogheda in the last 30/40 years, much of the family history was a surprise to them. The story of Willie Halpin was unknown to us and an absolute delight to find out about.

As for Sheanchai, I think I vaguely know of him, I've never met him.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Is your James Albert the same as the Albert James that I have, born Nov 1896, called Jim?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Is your James Albert the same as the Albert James that I have, born Nov 1896, called Jim?

Some links for others reading-

Birth of Albert James Halpin on 11th November 1896 at 26 Hawthorn Terrace, Dublin north.   MMN Murphy
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1896/02151/1815887.pdf

Marriage of Edwin Francis Halpin to Mary Anne (Marianne) Murphy on 24th November 1883 in Wexford RC Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1883/10952/8003232.pdf

As James Albert Halpin in 1901 census with his mother and siblings.
House 26 in Hawthorn Terrace (North Dock, Dublin).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/North_Dock/Hawthorn_Terrace/1275145/

In 1911 census as Albert Halpin.
House 22 in Ravensdale Road (North Dock, Dublin).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Ravensdale_Road/12642/

Is this his marriage in 1920 to Margaret Keogh? His father down as Edward Halpin, and one of the witnesses Cecil Halpin (brother?)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1920/09260/5352269.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo