Author Topic: SHIP - WHITBY ABBEY at Gallipoli  (Read 11670 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SHIP - WHITBY ABBEY at Gallipoli
« on: Friday 26 April 13 07:11 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any photographs of the Whitby Abbey at Gallipoli 1915.  My grandfather was on board this ship and I would love to have a photo of him/the ship/ etc.   I believe it was sunk by Turkish shell fire (from the shore) in May, 1915.  He served as a Cook/
Cooks Mate.
I would also appreciate any information/photos of the other ships he served on: viz
HMS Victory, HMS Rodean, HMS Hyderabad, HMS Medway.  Thank you in anticipation.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SHIP - WHITBY ABBEY AT GALLIPOLI
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 April 13 07:34 BST (UK) »
Have you tried google?
I found this photo of the Whitby Abbey:
http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20W/index11.html

You might find the others on the same site. No idea if you will ever find a photo of it actually at Gallipoli though. (or maybe the one above was taken there?)  :)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 13 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion and link to photos.  Much appreciated.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 13 19:37 BST (UK) »
A little more complicated than that. There were two vessels named WHITBY ABBEY involved in the Gallipoli campaign.
One was a requisitioned Merchant Ship official number 128091
http://www.lner.info/ships/NER/whitby_abbey.shtml

and the other a hired Paddle Tug which was used as a minesweeper HMS WHITBY ABBEY  Most of the logbooks of this vessel are stored at TNA Kew.
As far as I am aware, both vessels survived the First World War.
If your Grandfather was Royal Navy which I suspect he was,  It is likely he served on the Minesweeper but it may have been on the Merchant ship. I am afraid there is little chance of determining which one.
Incidentally, the first ship ie WHITBY ABBEY 01 shown in the photoship link was a much later ship built in 1954.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 April 13 13:39 BST (UK) »
That's all very interesting seaweed, but also a bit frustrating that there are two Whitby Abbeys.  :)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 April 13 14:26 BST (UK) »
I have recorded that he (George Fluke) was on HMS Whitby Abbey (a Mine sweeper) from 26th Feb. 1915 to 26th May, 1915. - Act. Cooks Mate.  then from 26th May, 1915 to 27th May, 1918 - Cooks Mate (sunk by Turkish shell fire from the shore) 
I would still love a photo of this ship (preferably at Gallipoli)  Does anyone know where I can get one?
Also is there any written account of the ship being fired on from shore etc.?
Once again any help would be appreciated.
p.s. This grandfather served in the Territorials, London, then the British Navy WW1 and when he came to Australia he joined the Australian Air Force.  Interesting eh?  His wife worked in the Woolwich Arsenal.   

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 April 13 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hands Up! Looks like I made a booboo!
I have looked at this one again and there is some confusing information out there, both on the internet and written sources. All these sources have a common denominator. The tonnage of the ship and the year of build. This leads me to conclude there was likely only one vessel with the name WHITBY ABBEY involved in the Gallipoli campaign.
I can find no evidence that this vessel was sunk although it seems she did come under shell fire and sustain casualties.
To try and reach a satisfactory conclusion.  Next time I am at TNA I will take a look at the vessels logbook for April, May, June 1915. Although the logbook is primarily a navigational document it should say wether or not the vessel was sunk and give detail of casualties.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 April 13 23:43 BST (UK) »
thanks for input.  Looking forward to hearing what you find out.  I know my grandfather was in more than one sinking during the war - would be good to find out his whole naval history.  I believe he was also on the HMS Victory, Rodean, Hyderabad, Medway.   Thanks again

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 April 13 05:37 BST (UK) »
I have recorded that he (George Fluke) was on HMS Whitby Abbey (a Mine sweeper) from 26th Feb. 1915 to 26th May, 1915. - Act. Cooks Mate.  then from 26th May, 1915 to 27th May, 1918 - Cooks Mate (sunk by Turkish shell fire from the shore

Where did you get this information from?