Author Topic: Michael Whitty and Family  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Wexfordskid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Michael Whitty and Family
« on: Friday 26 April 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, Just a quick querie on some missing information. My great great grandfather was Michael Whitty. As per the 1911 Census he is residing in Brownstown Newbawn Co. Wexford with his wife Margaret (nee Furlong)  and 6 of his children, one of them being my great grandfather. But when I search the 1901 census there is no record of this family at all? Has anyone any idea as to why this is? When I searched  Mary Ellen(their eldest daughter), A result for a 4 year old Mary Ellen Whitty who is residing with her aunt and uncle (Furlongs) in Bridgetown Wexford, Presumably this is her mothers Family?Any information would be grateful. Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Whitty and Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 April 13 19:46 BST (UK) »
Brownstown townland is in New Ross district, but the couple seem to have married somewhere in Wexford district - so maybe they were somewhere over that side of the county in 1901 ?
Do you have a marriage cert ?
This would give you two addresses or townlands to double check on the 1901 census

The main reason for people not appearing is due to spelling variations, or difficult to read forms - or occasionally filling in the first names in the surname box and vice versa, but there are also some households that managed to miss out, and other forms that are missing or have not been filmed.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Wexfordskid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 April 13 19:49 BST (UK) »
We have no documents of anykind bar the 1911 census, it is a possibility that they were missed but how would that explain the daughter living with her relatives? Ive checked variations of the name and that's to no avail. How would you figure out where they were married etc?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 April 13 19:52 BST (UK) »
I had a quick search and this is the one I was presuming fit the couple :

Name: Michael Whitty
  Quarter/Year : Apr-Jun 1895
  Registration district: Wexford
  Volume:    4 / Page : 405

A Margaret Furlong appears with the same references, so a possible match.

Both are 'Wexford' surnames and not that rare, but the marriage above fits years married on the census, and in the right sort of area so I think worth a try...
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 April 13 19:55 BST (UK) »
We have no documents of anykind bar the 1911 census, it is a possibility that they were missed but how would that explain the daughter living with her relatives?

cant really speculate on the reasons - I'd just follow the clues you can get, and see where they lead.

As well as residences for the bride and groom, the marriage would confirm father's names and occupations and also names of witnesses - all more clues to use in your search.

My Surname Interests

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 July 13 14:54 BST (UK) »
If the same Whitty family they lived on Mary Street, New Ross.

My mum went out with a Michael Whitty, and he later went on to marry a Margaret and one of their daughters Tessie, used to look after me when we went to Ireland for Holidays.

Tessie was a singer round the Irish Clubs in London.  She died about 6 years ago.

Sorry not a lot of use.  But.....
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 July 13 20:54 BST (UK) »
family search has only 3 births for john whitty between 1898 and 1902 in wexford which could help narrow down where they were.

Offline Wexfordskid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 July 13 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help, I will have a look now

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 July 13 14:48 BST (UK) »