Author Topic: Hit a brick wall!!!!  (Read 10005 times)

Offline meggles

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hit a brick wall!!!!
« on: Saturday 27 April 13 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi - I have a Elizabeth Hogan born at Moonie River, Qld abt 1863  (I can not find a registration for this birth but have it on her Marriage and death cert)  on both records it has her father as Daniel Hogan and on her marriage cert  has her mother as Elizabeth aboriginal women.  I don't know where to go from here to find out more about Daniel and Elizabeth.  Is there any where you can research aboriginal people in Qld?  any ideas would be great.  the family lived around Roma and then moved to Toowoomba in the late 1890s.  Know lots about Elizabeth (the daughter) and her marriage to Albert Mancktelow etc.  Just don't know before.
Any help would be fantastic.
cheers
Megan
Harris - Denbury Devon
Wotton - Ideford Devon
Chamberlain - Kent
Burgess - Sussex
Savage - South Australia
Wilks - South Australia
Horrigan - South Australia
Hodgson - Lancashire
Martin - St Stithians, Cornwall
Mathers - Liverpool
Riley/Royle - Lancashire

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hit a brick wall!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 13 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Megan,

I found searching Aboriginal history quiet hard. My husband had a ancestor who " fostered" a young aboriginal boy and the only way i found out any information was that he was in WW1 hence his military records. His birth was never registered and as his foster parents were noted on his military records so have no parents names at all for him. Sadly he never come home from WW1.

This was also in the Roma area of QLD. I do have a email address somewhere of a fellow in Roma who was a great help when researching ancestors. He really went out of his way for me and found so much stuff i wouldnt have found on my own. I'll find his email if your interested and maybe he might be able to find something out for you.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 13 09:44 BST (UK) »

Some connections here...?

QLD BDM
marriages
1882/C884       MANCKTELOW Albert  m. HOGAN Elizabeth
1886/C1288     MANCKTELOW Herbert m. HOGAN Ellen

Who are witnesses on marriage certificate Albert m. Elizabeth. Where did they marry...name of church please.

deaths
1935/B29311 Ellen MANCKTELOW
parents  Denis HOGAN  Elizabeth KATES

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 13 10:06 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Daniel Hogan's death cert. would give anything up  :-\

Offline meggles

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 13 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi - the witness at the wedding were - Emily and Lilly who were Albert Mancktelows mother and sister. 
The Ellen Hogan mentioned above was the wife of Albert's brother and she was born 1877  - I have not been able to find a connection as yet between the 2 Hogan girls but I suspect that there would be one. (eg were Daniel and Denis brothers)  I also know that Daniel was a Taylor - but have not been able to find a thing about him..  ( I have thought about getting  a death Cert - but at this stage I would just be guessing and would end up ordering wrong ones and at $39 each didn't want to do this yet)
Elizabeth and Albert did not marry in a church  - the marriager cert said that they married at Bracknell farm (or it could be Cracknell farm) at Cattle Creek Roma.     
Giblet I would love that contact if you can find it - anything to help me on the right track would be great.  I have spoken to someone in the historical society of Roma  but still waiting to hear back - it does not sound promising.
cheers Megan
Harris - Denbury Devon
Wotton - Ideford Devon
Chamberlain - Kent
Burgess - Sussex
Savage - South Australia
Wilks - South Australia
Horrigan - South Australia
Hodgson - Lancashire
Martin - St Stithians, Cornwall
Mathers - Liverpool
Riley/Royle - Lancashire

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 13 10:32 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth and Albert did not marry in a church  - the marriager cert said that they married at Bracknell farm (or it could be Cracknell farm) at Cattle Creek Roma.     

That is not at all unusual .... in NSW it was not compulsory for a wedding to take place in a church building, and Qld laws were originally based on the founding colony (NSW)  .... so may I ask :  what denomination is shown for the officiating minister please?

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 April 13 10:36 BST (UK) »
Cattle Creek is where my lot where from  ;D

I'll dig around my papers and find the email and PM it to you.

edited... PM sent

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 April 13 10:47 BST (UK) »
…. A Daniel and Mary HOGAN are listed as the parents of AN Elizabeth HOGAN on the online index of NSW BDM’s Early Church Records for BAPTISMS for 1856, volume 121A and line 2009.    Volume 121 is a Supplementary Register as per NSW SRO’s Guide No. 4
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/short-guide-4/short-guide-4

I wonder if that 1856 baptism could be for your lass ….  The NSW BDM online index does NOT show where the baptism took place…. And afterall, Qld was part of NSW until 1859.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 April 13 10:49 BST (UK) »

Does Elizabeth sign the certificate...or "her mark"?