Author Topic: Who is Eva Hamilton?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who is Eva Hamilton?
« on: Saturday 27 April 13 23:41 BST (UK) »
The informant on the death certificates of a married couple, was Eva Hamilton. They were Sarah McClintock (1898) and her husband, John (1902). She was a resident of Cavan, Ireland (as were they). However no relation was listed on either of them.
In the 1901 census there is a Eva Hamilton living with Emma and David Murphy of Rathfriland, Down. She was born in Cavan and 16 years of age. Emma was John and Sarah McClintock's daughter.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Rathfriland/Newry_Street/1250085/

Sometimes Eva was also mentioned as Evelyn. The only birth I can find that sort of matches up is that of a Evelyn Isabella Hamilton in 1883 in Cavan.

In 1911 a Evelyn Isabella Hamilton is living with Robert George Hill and his daughter Helen. Evelyn is aged 25 and born in Cavan. Does anyone think this matches up? She is listed as a friend.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Knocknadona/Ballyellough/199439/

I also have a letter from Emma Murphy to her niece, Beckie McClintock in Australia that mentions some one called Eva. Here is the quote-

"Eva is still here, but has gone to London (England I presume), since May. (the letter was written in September 1909). She is singing and being an 'Irish Colleen' at the London Exhibition and is delighted with it. She is only sorry that she has got to leave  it shortly. She has been there from May and the Exhibition closes the 2nd October. Her uncle (my beloved husband) has gone over to see her since Thursday, he is giving her a grand time she says and she is delighted to have him."

From that I can only presume that one of Emma's or David's sisters married and had children with some with the surname 'Hamilton'. Can anyone find evidence of this?

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who is Eva Hamilton?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 April 13 00:48 BST (UK) »
Have you seen there is another Eva Hamilton in 1901 House 25 Ryefield Munterconnaught, Cavan
age 12 daughter of Francis a 57 / daughter Louisa age 18, Son William a.13, Francis C Son age 8 :)
Do you know of any other children of John & Sarah McClintock apart from Emma?

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 13 03:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ballydw but I know where Eva was living in 1901 she was living with David and Emma Murphy.

There other children were Emma MURPHY, John (moved to Australia in the 1870's), Martha SISLER (USA in 1880's), Thomas William (know nothing further on him, according to some other evidence John and Sarah only had one son, so maybe Thomas died young), Fanny/Frances LIVINGSTON (New South Wales in 1870's) and Mary (no more known; perhaps the Mary McClintock who died in 1894)
Although there is a gap that I don't know about, there may have been more children between 1857 and 1864 that I don't know about, because they were originally from Dungannon, and the church records for there the show 3 older children and then civil registration shows more born in Cavan.

So another quick query, does anyone know where I would find the Presbyterian Church Records for Cavan, Cavan? They aren't at PRONI.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 April 13 08:01 BST (UK) »
So another quick query, does anyone know where I would find the Presbyterian Church Records for Cavan, Cavan? They aren't at PRONI.
CAVAN RESOURCES are a stickied topic at the top on this board- under church records are Presbyterian Church records in Cavan and if you click on that link it says that records for Cavan Presbyterian Church are in local custody (i.e. with the church).

The birth certificate for Evelyn Isabella Hamilton should list both parents and from there you can search for the parents' marriage to see if they tie into your McClintock family.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 April 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey, I'll check it out

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 April 13 12:11 BST (UK) »
Do you have marriage for John McClintock/Sarah there is the following record whether applicable or not.
John McClintock reg district Banbridge Vol2 p 507. Sarah Mallagh on same page.
1851, seeing as johns estimated birth was 1827 on death record it is feasable.
You could check for births, then one of female McClintocks marrying a Hamilton.

Dont know if you have marriage for Emma - Emma Margery M'Clintock Sept 1891 Reg Cavan
Vol 3 Page 59. David Murphy on same page. :)

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 April 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
John and Sarah's marriage is the marriage of John McClintock and Sarah Matthews in Dungannon, Drumglass, Tyrone, in 1851. I have the marriage certificate, this is the one that makes the most sense because my McClintock ancestor, was John Matthews McClintock (I later found his baptism, and they were his parents).

Yes I had found Emma's marriage, thanks  :)