Author Topic: Another Elopement In The Family? *Completed. Thank you all!*  (Read 1323 times)

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Another Elopement In The Family? *Completed. Thank you all!*
« on: Sunday 28 April 13 17:48 BST (UK) »
Talk about deja vu.I have already found one elopement is his side of the family now I am wondering if there is also one in mine.
John McCallum, sometimes MacAllion/ MacAllian and Ann Nisbet married in Hamilton February 1852 after three days " In This Parish" cert number 647/00 0050. As far as I was aware they had no connection with Hamilton but came from Newmains/ Cambusnethan area.
The rest of the entries on this page also show couples "being in this parish" for perhaps three or four days.
Am I correct in thinking this wedding was also conducted in Sheriff Court? If so then he and I are now even and perhaps I should stop digging.
Stewart: Scotland & Ireland
Buchanan: Scotland
Stephen: Scotland& Canada
Diamond: Ireland & Scotland
McCallum, Scotland

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another Elopement In The Family?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 13 14:32 BST (UK) »
If it is recorded in the OPR's then it would have been in front of a minister, most likely in the brides house or the manse

I think the 3 days refers to the banns being called on 3 sundays prior to the wedding

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 April 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
The important thing in an entry like this one is the word before"in this parish". One or both of them would have had to reside in the parish. So, the entry should say "both in this parish" or name one of them and state the parish of the other.
By 1852 people of other denominations were being married in their own church and then registering the marriage (and even having the Banns called) in the parish church. I have evidence of this in my own family as far back as 1823 in Glasgow.
Hamilton parish at that time was fairly large and crossed the river Clyde to the Motherwell side, as far up as the present day Motherwell cross. So this couple may not have been too far away from Cam'nethan. If they worked on the land it would have meant that they would have had to live on or around where the farm was.
February was "term" time on the land. The Christian feast of Candlemas was 2nd February and it was one of the 4 quarter days of the Scottish year, where traditionally, servants (that is house and farm servants) were hired and fired. Wages were paid and weddings took place (because they had a little money in their pockets). So, a Term wedding would hint at farm servants.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 13 15:30 BST (UK) »
Listed in RC marriages

St Mary's would have been the closest RC church at that time

23/02/1852 MCCALLYON JOHN and NISBET ANNE at HAMILTON, ST MARY'S

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 13 16:30 BST (UK) »
You've got it Sancti, St Mary's in Hamilton (founded 1843) would have been the nearest Catholic church to Wishaw in those days, although St Athanasius in Carluke was founded in 1849, I wonder why they didn't go there? Hamilton may have been easier to get to or, there may not have been a resident priest in Carluke at that time.
The next one would have been St Margaret's in Airdrie (founded 1836).
St Ignatius in Wishaw wasn't founded until 1859.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 April 13 16:48 BST (UK) »
1861 census has John born in Donegal

Address:

No 10 Stabb Row, Cambusnethan

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 April 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
How clever you all are. I put my specs on and found" both in this parish" and dates of 22nd Feb, 29th Feb and 7th March 1852 . The banns being called three times

Yet another spelling of the surname! So far I have McCallum, Macallion, Macallian and McAllum so I have added McCallyon to the list. Costing a fortune when I go in and out of ScotPeople.

One of my next steps was 1861 census so many thanks for that information. It now makes sense why they went to Hamilton. By the way they were my gggrandparents and the person I am really tracking is their daughter Jane born 1859. Jane went onto marry Andrew Buchanan of Fintry was widowed at the age of 31 with 5 small children but later that year remarried to James Brownlie otherwise known as James Docherty. Again different names being used. How confusing.The personalties and life styles, or lack of them, really interest me.

This was a thread I started almost two years ago but as usual I got sidetracked, or I should say lost elsewhere
Many thanks once again, see you in August
McCallum, Scotland

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 April 13 17:28 BST (UK) »
1861 census transcription  ::)

John McAllon 41
Ann McAllon 34
Michael McAllon 12
Margt McAllon 9
Ann McAllon 4
Jane McAllon 2

With Michael being born before the marriage to Ann, maybe John was a widower

Offline maxcam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 April 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
Perfect timing, I was on Scot People doing my usual fishing with so many spellings, and up you come with the exact information I was looking for. With this spelling of McAllon I think the RUNNING total of same sounding, different spellings of the surname is now five. I will soon need new specs.
Can I ask how you discovered it, given yet another name? I was trying every permutation. Is there a short cut?
Ta
McCallum, Scotland