Author Topic: Magdalen Asylum, Convent of the Good Shepherd, Lichfield Hall, Blackley, Manches  (Read 3956 times)

Offline MaggieK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am trying to find some information about a Laura Mary Daly  born 1886 in Bristol, who is cited in 1911 as being an inmate in the Magdalen Asylum. It is possible that she was pregnant when she entered the asylum and if she was what would have happened to the baby once it was born. Do these Convents have a list of babies born, died and adopted, while the inmate was in their care?

Thanks
Maggie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Magdalen Asylum, Convent of the Good Shepherd, Lichfield Hall, Blackley, Manches
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 18:30 BST (UK) »
Maggie, what can I say, except, very likely you will not be able to trace any records for this period of time. There is a lot of history and baggage that come with the Convent of the Good Shepherd, regardless of which convent you are looking at in the UK. Sadly, for this period in this respect, practices were pretty similar.

I am going to add some links from previous posts for guidance and background:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373645.0.html
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=531329.0
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,238635.0.html

Probably enough there to give you some idea...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaggieK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Magdalen Asylum, Convent of the Good Shepherd, Lichfield Hall, Blackley, Manches
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 19:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all this information. Seems like a long shot being able to trace an adopted baby from one of these places.

Maggie

Offline Barbara Bell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
My Grandmother Alice Egan born 1895 was also in the Asylum in the 1911 cencus It is impossible to find out anything She would never talk about the past .Now I know why!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JenDaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 December 14 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am very interested in Laura Mary Daly myself and I'm just wondering if you searched this out on your behalf or mine and I have just forgotten? Please let me know because if she is a relative of yours I would love to get in contact with you and compare notes.
Thank you, Jen Daly

Offline JenDaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 July 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hello, I thought I would try again to reach out to Maggie from this original post as we seem to have family members in common. Laura Mary Daly (Shepherd) is the family member I am most interested in learning more about specifically the Shepherd marriage. Please reply if you want to connect.
Thank you, Jen Daly

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Jen,

MaggieK has not been on the site since 2015, so is unlikely to respond at this point.

On the bmd indexes (freebmd) I can see a Herbert Shepherd/Shephard   marrying a Laura Daly in 1920, Chelsea (London).  It looks like two children born, 1920 and 1922. Is this the woman you are looking for?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenDaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi There, Yes, that is the marriage I am interested in. I know a lot about the Daly family as I've done extensive research, however, I cannot place which Herbert Shepherd she married and which family he came from. I have all the birth and marriage records from them and their kids but still cannot decipher who is parents are. It seems like Maggie had the Shepherd line and that's why I was hoping she would respond. But thank you for taking the time. Jen

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
What information is there on the marriage certificate - his father’s name; their occupations; witnesses?
Do you have a year of birth for him?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk