Author Topic: 2nd Middlesex Regiment Private Ernest Penn 1200  (Read 507 times)

Offline deecy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2nd Middlesex Regiment Private Ernest Penn 1200
« on: Thursday 02 May 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about my grandad's uncles Ernest Penn (b.1869), John Penn (b.1874) and his dad Herbert Penn (b.1872) - all from Watton at Stone/Hertford

1200 Private            Penn E 2nd Bn.
4831 Lance Corporal Penn J M.I. Coy., 1st Bn.
3704 Seargent         Penn H.A

I know Ernest was in the 2nd btn Middlesex Regiment and was in the Boer War but I can't find anything else about him after that, no death, no grave records, no marriage records, no further military service... ?

Similarly his brother John was also in the army, he was a Lance Corporal in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and served in the Boer War where I believe he was injured. Any help with what happened after the Boer War would be great.

Herbert Alfred (my great grandad) was in the Northampton Regiment (1892-1912) mainly in India and then from 1914 - 1918 he was in the Herts, Beds, Sussex and Worcestshire Regiments where he was a CSM.

Anything on any of the brothers would be lovely, if anyone can help?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Dave2425

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Middlesex Regiment Private Ernest Penn 1200
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 June 19 15:51 BST (UK) »
From 1878 until 1891 the Northamptonshire Regiment where in South Africa and Hong Kong
From 1878 until 1891 the Middlesex Regiment 2nd Battalion where in: Rangoon Burma, Secunderabad Madras, Kamptee Madras and Dhow Bombay

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.