Author Topic: 12 marker Y DNA tests, please can someone explain  (Read 11039 times)

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
12 marker Y DNA tests, please can someone explain
« on: Friday 03 May 13 09:27 BST (UK) »
Good morning all,

I've received an email today from a distant relative in America advising that he has found a half sibling to my great x 3 grandfather, born to my great x 4 grandfather prior to his marriage.

He believes this to be the case as he has had a 12 marker Y DNA test with an ancestor of the illegitimate child.

Please can someone explain how the DNA test works and if it really would validate this new branch of the family tree.

Many thanks

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 12 marker Y DNA tests, please can someone explain
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 May 13 16:29 BST (UK) »
Every man has a Y chromosome, which is inheritted by his sons, usually with few mutations. This enables us to trace back biological male lines of ancestry.

The test utilizes small but pronounced differences at specific points in the DNA sequence. Most tests now use short tandem repeats (STRs), which are small repeated segments of DNA. For example, one person might have 20 repeats of a certain code, while others have 21. This number of repeats is passed down to offspring with good accuracy. These parts in the DNA that are tested are called markers.

If two people match at many of these markers, there is a good chance they are related. The more markers tested, the more likely you are able to draw a reliable conclusion. A 12-marker test is the bare mininum. If 2 people match at 12 out of 12 markers, there is a 50% chance they are related in the past 7 generations, a 90% chance they are related in less than 23 generations, and a 95% chance they are related in 29 generations.

It may well be correct that your relative is related in the way you describe, but I don't consider a 12/12 match to be very strong evidence. There is a chance they are related further back. I would think about upgrading the test to a 37 or higher marker test; at this level, if they match at 37/37 markers, you can be 95% confident that they are related in the last 7 generations.

See Family Tree DNA FAQs for more information about the DNA tests and markers.

Alexander

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 May 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
If their Y12 result is close to the WAMH (Western Atlantic Modal Haplogroup see:- http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Western_Atlantic_Modal_Haplotype ) they will match millions of men around the world.

A Y12 result is only any good if they have unusual results, otherwise it is not good enough to determine recent relatedness. You should be looking at taking the Y67 or Y111 test imo.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alexander and Supermoussi, I understand it much better now  ;D

best wishes

Maria
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP