Author Topic: Duroe/Duro/Durow  (Read 4587 times)

Offline David Hankey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duroe/Duro/Durow
« on: Friday 03 May 13 11:46 BST (UK) »
Have you any of the above in your tree? I am looking for any connections to this surname centred around the Chesterfield & Ilkeston areas of Derbyshire to help fill in the numerous gaps I have.

Regards, David
Duroe, Duro, Durow, Derbyshire
Freegard, Freeguard, Wiltshire & South Wales
Hankey, Daresbury, Cheshire
Hopkins, Banbury, Oxfordshire
Malson, Newport, Monmouthshire
Wait, Yoxall, Staffordshire

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Duroe/Duro/Durow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 May 13 11:57 BST (UK) »
If you give us more details, I am sure there are lots of willing potential helpers here, regardless of whether they have any connections.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline David Hankey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 May 13 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, lizdb,

I understand what you say as I have been the beneficiary of many responses from willing helpers on other posts I have made in the past. The thinking behind this post was an attempt to tease out other people who might have that surname in their tree with a view to exchanging information.

My Duroe connections have proved to be a very prolific lot with Richard Duro 1777-1824 being the earliest one I have found to date. He is my wife's 4th great grandfather who hailed from Ilkeston, married Mary Beardsley and had, I believe, 8 children.

Offline smoogie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi David,
My grandmother was called Duroe before she married. Joan Duroe from Chesterfield. She used to live in Gower Crescent as I recall.

Offline DurowGGD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 November 14 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Have you any of the above in your tree? I am looking for any connections to this surname centred around the Chesterfield & Ilkeston areas of Derbyshire to help fill in the numerous gaps I have.

Regards, David
Only just joined this forum and found your message from last year. "My" Durows lived around Mapperley, Derbyshire (near Ilkeston) and were farmers and miners. My cousin has done an extensive family tree for dozens of Durows in the area going back to 1768 when we have Church marriage details for a Joseph Durow, then living in Muggington, near Wirksworth, who is the ancestor of many Durows in Derbyshire..

My Great-Grandparents were Uriah and Ann (nee Hampson) Durow who were farmers and had 9 children - Joseph, Arthur, Charles, Uriah, Thomas, Ellen (my Grandmother), Mary Elizabeth, Maria (AKA Marie) and Annie all of whom survived to adulthood. I don't have confirmation of which farm they worked but another cousin thinks it was Bridge Farm.

If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask and I'll see what we have on the family tree which might be of interest. Unfortunately, my cousin has recently moved house and I think the family tree is still in storage so I won't be able to reply by return of post, so to speak, but I will get back to you.

Offline David Hankey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 November 14 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to this forum, DurowGGD, good to have you on board. I dare say there is a link somewhere along the line. My Duroe connection is via my wife's maternal line with her mother coming from Brampton, Chesterfield but tracing further back Ilkeston appears to be a hotbed of activity. The earliest ancestor I have found is Richard Duro in 1777. It seems the 'e' was added to the surname at a later stage. I've no specific question just now as I'm concentrating on my father's line but no doubt I will be in touch in the not too distant future. Meanwhile if you have any questions for me, fire away.

Regards, David

Offline Andromeda20

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 July 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hello David,
I have been researching the Duro line from Ilkeston and I think Richard and Mary may be my ancestors, I have managed to find their son William who was born in 1813 and he is my Great, Great, Great Grandfather. I was wondering if you had any further information on Richard and Mary Beardsley as I seem to have come to a dead end!
The line I am tracing has gone from Richard to William (1), William (2), John, Harold, Brian and then to me, Zena, so I have managed to find quite a lot of information so far but as I said I am struggling with Richard.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Zena.

Offline David Hankey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 July 18 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, Zena I'll send you a private message.

Offline DurowGGD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 July 18 22:08 BST (UK) »
My cousin has researched our side of the Duroe/Duro/Durow family and got back to the marriage of Joseph Durow in Wirksworth, Derbyshire, in 1768. All the way through the family tree the spelling of the name varies as above, even between close relatives. Prior to the 1870 Education Act, attendance at school was not compulsory so many people did not learn to write consequently, when people were registered for legal reasons the registrar frequently had to guess at the spelling of surnames.

My immediate family of Durows spelled it like that. My maternal Grandmother's surname was Durow and before and for sometime after her marriage she lived at Bridge Farm, Mapperley, Derbyshire. She was one of 9 children. There are a large number of Durows still living in the area and it's likely they are all linked to your family Member.

Richard Durow (I can't remember which spelling he used)  is recorded in Lichfield and around the time his name disappears from there, a Richard Durow turned up in Illkeston. And later the same name turns up in Mapperley. I wonder if this is your Richard?

From the family tree and the peculiarity of the surname it would seem that all the Derbyshire Durows are related regardless of the spelling. While there are odd Durows/Duros/Duroes scattered around the UK, the only other large group of them are round the Portsmouth area which suggests that the holders of the name may have been immigrants.

I hope this helps you spread your search.

Diane Chew