Author Topic: Melhuish/Harris marriage devon 1906  (Read 4226 times)

Offline LordOfKent

• RootsChat Member
  • LordOfKent from the Garden Of England.
    • View Profile
Melhuish/Harris marriage devon 1906
« on: Tuesday 07 May 13 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

I am trying to check if I have the right info for this marriage for a friend's tree that I am doing.

I have     William Nelson MELHUISH was born Q2 1886, Tiverton, Devon married  Minnie HARRIS Q2 1906, Crediton, Devon.
Minnie was born Q3 1878, Crediton, Devon; died Q3 1924, Exeter, Devon. They had 2 children,  Beatrice C MELHUISH  born Q2 1922, Paddington, London, and William Robert MELHUISH  born Q3 1924, Paddington, London.

William Nelson MELHUISH then married again in Q1 1928,Holborn, London to Martha VANSTONE.

There is a bit of confusion re the birth of the son William Robert and the death of Minnie Melhuish (HARRIS). Apparently William R never spoke of the Harris connection to his family, it could be that he was never told who his 'real' mother was or just didn't want to talk about a mum that he never knew.

That facts that I need to be clear about are the Marriage of William N to Minnie and any parish records info I can get including baptisms. I will be gratefull for any help that will confirm or amend what I have atm.

Thanks John
Cambridgeshire - Garrad
Kent - Church, Harman, Longhurst, Lord, Turner, Washer, Weston
London - Lord, Sawtell
Oxfordshire - Crawford, Lord
Somerset - Sawtell
Suffolk - Garrad
Surrey - Harman, Lord, Sawtell, Turner
Sussex - Carter, Weston

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Melhuish/Harris marriage devon 1906
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

I have     William Nelson MELHUISH was born Q2 1886, Tiverton, Devon married  Minnie HARRIS Q2 1906, Crediton, Devon.
Minnie was born Q3 1878, Crediton, Devon; died Q3 1924, Exeter, Devon. They had 2 children,  Beatrice C MELHUISH  born Q2 1922, Paddington, London, and William Robert MELHUISH  born Q3 1924, Paddington, London.
E.

Thanks John

William Nelson Melhuish and Minnie Harris had a daughter Mary bbirth reg Mar qtr 1907 Tiverton 5b 383 and a son Leonard Barnes Melhuish b.c.1909 Tiverton

The birth reg's for Beatrice C and Wm Robert both give Harris as Mother's maiden name (seems quite an age gap from Mary and leonard???)

There is a death reg for Minnie Harris 1924 Exeter -if this is the correct Minnie?

There is also a Christina  b 1923 whose mother's maiden name is Harris

So it really is a puzzle??

There is also a marriage Thomas Melluish and Ethel K harris 1922

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline LordOfKent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 14:10 BST (UK) »

William Nelson Melhuish and Minnie Harris had a daughter Mary bbirth reg Mar qtr 1907 Tiverton 5b 383 and a son Leonard Barnes Melhuish b.c.1909 Tiverton

The birth reg's for Beatrice C and Wm Robert both give Harris as Mother's maiden name (seems quite an age gap from Mary and leonard???)

There is a death reg for Minnie Harris 1924 Exeter -if this is the correct Minnie?

There is also a Christina  b 1923 whose mother's maiden name is Harris

So it really is a puzzle??

There is also a marriage Thomas Melluish and Ethel K harris 1922

Suz

Hi Suz

The info you posted above I have also and seems to be correct except for the one for Christina b 1923, I haven't managed to confirm her relationship atm.

The marriage of Thomas and Ethel in 1922 well again it could be the right line or not  :-\

I agree the large gap in the births of the children to Nelson and Minnie does appear a little odd but it happens in our times so I suppose it could have then?

Now I have added Leonard Barnes and Mary to the family they seem to disappear after the 1911 census, unless I have missed something.

Thanks for the help it's still not sorted really, so back to checking and try to persuade my friend to pay for some certs, that should help a lot.

John
Cambridgeshire - Garrad
London - Lord, Sawtell
Somerset - Sawtell
Suffolk - Garrad
Sussex - Carter, Weston

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 May 13 21:11 BST (UK) »
Just for interest ...

Martha Vanstone was actually Martha Whorewood:
- birth Q3 1890 Holborn
- marriage to Horace Vanstone, Q1 1911 Hackney
- marriage as Vanstone to Melhuish 1928 as you noted
- death as Melhuish, born 22 July 1890, 1972 Easthampstead

(And I thought it was fun telling my mum her grx2 grmother was a Hoare!)

And there is a birth to the Melhuish-Whorewood(Vanstone) couple, 1931 Finsbury.

Horace Vanstone, born 1890 St Saviour, died 1971 Yarmouth.
And seems to have remarried 1922 Lambeth, with births in 1923 and 1926.

Might there have been some divorces?

Back to the Melhuish-Harris couple's children:
Mary 1907
Leonard 1909
Beatrice 1922
William 1924

The big gap has been noted.
Also, it would seem odd for William to be born in London in the same quarter as Minnie died in Exeter.
So were Nelson and Minnie estranged and the later children were not children of the marriage?

If Minnie had a child with another man while still married to Nelson, the law required that the child be registered in the husband's surname as a child of the marriage.

However, William was reared by his father Nelson and his new wife?

(I would say that since there is no info about Christina 1923, she was a child of the Thomas Melhuish + Ethel Harris marriage 1922. Oh, in any event, that surname was MELLUISH on both marriage and birth - red herring!)

(PS - if you click Reply rather than Quote it makes it all easier to read, especially if replying to a long post!)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 May 13 22:40 BST (UK) »
Leonard Barnes Melhuish's birth was reg Q1 1910.

In 1960 (just under the wire!) an LB Melhuish dob c1910 travelled from London to Sydney, Australia:
http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action

No other L B Melhuish birth was reg around that time.

Travelling with him were a female FM Melhuish born c1906 and a female Melhuish born c1938 (I am omitting initials for privacy as may still be living). I don't see a birth to match that c1938 person.
Just in case the info about the first person's sex was wrong, a Francis Mark Melhuish died in Australia in 2006.
http://ryersonindex.net/search.php

And aha.

A tree at www.mundia.com has Leonard Barnes Melhuish born 1910 Tiverton, departed for Sydney post 1959.
Free to register, search and send messages at that site (which mirrors Anc'y trees).
Is that tree owner known to your friend? The tree shows descendants of Beatrice and William, but not of Mary and Leonard, so I suspect the owner is a fairly close relation of your friend.

The tree identifies Minnie as Minne E Harris(Lock) 1882-1924. She is in a Lock family, but there is no explanation for the surnames. Minnie Elizabeth Lock was indeed born 1882 Barnstaple. (Note that the Minnie Melhuish 1924 death shows dob of c1878.)

And in fact she married Richard Harris 1900 Barnstaple.
And she is not our Minnie; she is with husband Richard in 1911.
Sigh, what possesses people??

-edit- I think the 1924 death (which gives a dob of c1878) is probably a match, and Minnie was fibbing about her age when she married.

Her census says aged 28 (c1883) and born in Wembworthy. (Her husband was 27.)
Wembworthy was in Crediton reg dist.
A Minnie Harris birth was registered in Crediton reg dist in Q3 1878.

In 1881, Richard Harris, aged 37, married with no wife present, boarder, a gardener, and Minnie Harris, visitor, aged 3, born Coldridge (also in Crediton reg dist), were in a household in Ilfracombe.
In 1881, Richard (place of birth "Brushpord" at Anc'y) is a married groom in Ryde, Hampshire, no wife present.
There is a Richard Harris + Mary Keenor marriage in Crediton reg dist in 1865.
In 1871, a Mary Harris aged 25, labourer's wife, born Colderidge, is in Monk Okehampton with children Henry and Selina. Someone has corrected her name from Harres at Anc'y.
In 1891, there is a Minnie Harris (Harrie, per Anc'y) in Shoreditch who was born c1880 in Bradford, Devon (there is no such birth), with uncle Frederick Webber from Devon ...
In 1901, Richard and Mary are in Swimbridge with a son and what seems to be Mary's unmarried sister Ann Keenor (Heenor, per Anc'y).

This is my best guess for Minnie so far, your question being kind of about her. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 May 13 22:47 BST (UK) »
Leonard Barnes Melhuish is on the electoral roll in Forrest, and then in O'Connor, Western Australia, 1972-1980 (the cutoff date for the database at Anc'y).

I don't have paid access to see details, but also in Forrest were an AM Melhuish (female, I omit the name as I don't know the person's age -- we can assume that LBM is deceased I think.)

Ah, safe to disclose. Anna Maria Melhuish died in 1999 at age 84: see in the Ryerson Index. So dob c1915.

edit - 1925-1968, he seems to appear on the ER in Forrest as Leonard Barnes MALE (at least according to Anc'y). Unless there were two people with the given names Leonard Barnes living in Forrest w/o overlapping.

A Leonard Barnes Male was born in 1890 in West Bromwich -- this could indeed be a coincidence.
Leonard Male born c1891 travelled to Fremantle in 1901, with a whole large family. (The parents, for example, appear on the early ER in Forrest.)
So it looks like an actual coincidence, as it is unlikely he would have suddenly changed his name to Melhuish. Yes; he died in 1970; red herring:
http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx

Anna Maria and Leonard Barnes Melhuish are the only people with that name who appear in Forrest or O'Connor 1960-1980.

It would be worth checking that 1960 passenger record; AM may have been misread as FM, and her age as 54 rather than 44 ... but there's still no marriage ...

Re the Francis Mark Melhuish who died in Australia in 2006 ... a person with the right combo of name and initial was born in 1936 in St Thomas reg dist Devon and may have married in 1959 and had one child registered. There are two other births with the same combo of parents' surnames as the 1936 birth after that, but no marriage for the parents to match that I can find.

The birth to the 1959 marriage of the person I am surmising was a child of Leonard ... that person (who I am surmising is a grandchild of Leonard, and who has a very distinctive name) appears to be in Western Australia on the 1980 electoral roll ... along with, yes, the Francis Mark Melhuish who died in 2006, and the spouse he married in 1959 in Wales.

The death notice for Francis Mark Melhuish, which is available from the Ryerson Index site, would likely give you current information for his child, the grandchild of Leonard Barnes Melhuish.

Interesting:
https://ifind.swan.ac.uk/discover/Author/Home?author=Melhuish%2C%20Francis%20Mark.

Annie M Webber was born in 1914 in Pontypridd. I believe she had a previous marriage which explains the absence of a marriage to Leonard. Her father Alexander F Webber 1882-1937 Pontypridd is in trees at Mundia but with no info beyond his birth.

Offline LordOfKent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 May 13 23:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Janey there is a great deal of info to checkout. I will go through all of it over the next few days and see what I can do with it.

Just a short message atm but will post more when I have worked it out and checked the various links that you have given me. I have a bit of time as my friend is away so will go over everything with him when he gets back, I think he will have a bit of a shock, he was aware that there may be 'anomalies or other inconsistencies' in the family history.

Thanks John
Cambridgeshire - Garrad
London - Lord, Sawtell
Somerset - Sawtell
Suffolk - Garrad
Sussex - Carter, Weston

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 May 13 23:47 BST (UK) »
I'll drop you a PM with the details I couldn't post here. ;)

Offline LordOfKent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Re: Melhuish/Harris marriage devon 1906
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 June 13 21:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all who replied to this message I have made contact with someone who has all the info regarding the queries in my post. I have passed these one to my friend and put him in contact with the other person and all has been explained.

This can now be marked as 'Completed'

Thanks a lot.
John
Cambridgeshire - Garrad
London - Lord, Sawtell
Somerset - Sawtell
Suffolk - Garrad
Sussex - Carter, Weston