Author Topic: Adobe going to subscription only after Version 6  (Read 13107 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Adobe going to subscription only after Version 6
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 13:36 BST (UK) »
Yep, thats the one Gadget, and yes I saved the filters onto my backup drive just incase I couldn't find them again. Seems like it was a good idea now!  ::)

Sometimes the FFT filter works great and sometimes it doesn't and I've found it takes patience (something I lack on occassion  ::) ;D)   One tip that does help is to mount the photo image onto a larger background so that when you go through all the steps, all areas of the photo image are treated, for some reason the FFT filter doesn't work all the way to the edges and this gets round the problem  :-\
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
Found a couple of versions that I did using FFT (at lots else)  - on this thread:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,643535.0.html
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggie,

Using the colour channels has nothing to do with colouring a photo. Each Pixel is made up of  Red, Green and Blue channels,  we are used to seeing the term RGB which is just the term for all 3 colours mixed together. Even a black and white or sepia photo has the RGB channels.  Hence we complain when we are sent a scanned copy or image where the colour was stripped away in a previous saving, all the extra RGB info has been lost  :(  Trying to put colour back into one of these images doesn't work well.
If you are presented with an extremely faded or damaged image (think water damage), by viewing the jpg  through the different channels, you can sometimes pick out alot more detail and even remove alot of the damage which saves loads of restoration time. Then you can get on with the task of repairing the rest of the photo. Great for sepia or black and white photos but a tricker to do with colour ones.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 16:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you jc for that explanation - I'm a bit of an ignoramus aren't I?  ::)

I understand the concept of RGB channels being present even in black & whites but I have never used the different channels as a means of aiding restoration. I must read and try to understand that tutorial.

I have a lot to learn and not enough time to learn it in.  :(
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 18:16 BST (UK) »
No worries Maggie, if you get an opportunity, just play with the channels and levels to see what happens.  In elements, select levels, you can select the different colour range from there and play around though its easier in the full CS program.

I gave a fuller explanation just in case someone who doesn't understand pixels read the thread. The direct answer wouldn't have made much sense to them and I didn't want anyone to think we (the restorers) are beyond approach ;D. Not that I have done any restores for a while.

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 18:49 BST (UK) »
I'm fiddling with the levels even as I speak  ;D

I've been here before but not really given it my full attention.  I do have quite a good PS manual which helps and I do know where to come to if and when I get stuck  ;).  And there are always the tutorials of course.

Thanks again.
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tommyfromri

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 19:15 BST (UK) »
I'm still trying to figure out how to install an FFT filter plugin.
Copy & paste the plug-in file to this location.In your case it will be Elememts 9 instead of CS4
Program Files>Adobe>Adobe Photoshop CS4>Plug-Ins
Thanks for the info Jim..I'll see if I can sort this out now with your help..you're a wealth of information !

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Tommy

I think you might have overlooked Jenny's message - it looks as it Elements doesn't allow for channels and FFT needs you to be able to access Channels   :-\

The only real drawback I can see for restorers  using Elements over the full CS package is that you can't access the colour channels in the same way. If my memory serves me correctly, you need the colour channels to utilise the FFT filter, I've certainly only ever used it in CS3.

ps. you can also utilise the colour channels with paintshop pro, which is alot cheaper   ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline tommyfromri

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Tommy

I think you might have overlooked Jenny's message - it looks as it Elements doesn't allow for channels and FFT needs you to be able to access Channels   :-\

The only real drawback I can see for restorers  using Elements over the full CS package is that you can't access the colour channels in the same way. If my memory serves me correctly, you need the colour channels to utilise the FFT filter, I've certainly only ever used it in CS3.

ps. you can also utilise the colour channels with paintshop pro, which is alot cheaper   ;D

Gadget
Thanks Gadget...I was reading thru the posts after Jims ..I have found other ways to achive the same results..Regards, Tommy