Author Topic: An english subject dead in France  (Read 666 times)

Offline quisontils

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
An english subject dead in France
« on: Tuesday 07 May 13 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I found my relative, english subject dead in France at Paris in 1900. I don't know what was the cause of the death. She was a very little girl. In France, on the decease act there is not the cause. But I know, in England, there is. So I hope maybe the decease was notified to an english administration and then maybe, I could learn the cause of the decease.
Do you know where I could search this.
She was: Marguerite, Marie Bail dead at Paris 1er the May 31st. She was the daughter of Sydney James Bail and Marie-Juliette Fatien.
Thank you very much for your advice.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: An english subject dead in France
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 May 13 23:28 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,636382
 - as I said before, there doesn't seem to be any trace of this family in the consular records.  There wouldn't have been a legal requirement, or any particularly strong need in this case, to register her with the consulate in addition with to the French authorities.

I looked at the death - she is said to have died at the home of her parents, and her father registered the death. The other witness who signs appears to be Annie B??aut (not sure on last name) listed as divorced wife of Bail (?!?!).

Just in case you don't have it, here is the marriage of Marguerite's parents in Boulogne-sur-mer in 1890:
http://archivesenligne.pasdecalais.fr/ark:/64297/63b05bb0ed46b697
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline quisontils

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 May 13 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Jorose.
Yes, I did remeber you said you didn't find anything about this family in overseas but I post again because I know now Marguerite was dead at Paris not at Middelbourg in Nederlands like I believed.
Thank you for the marriage certificate. I read  British autorities certified that Sydney James Bail was an english subject and majeur but nothing about his family status: single, divorced etc... Is this usual?
In the deceased act, I read "Annie Renaut, divorced from Bail". I never heard this name.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 May 13 17:23 BST (UK) »
Normally if he was divorced or widowed I would expect the certificate to state so (with some details of previous wife and how that marriage ended) - but if he wanted to fudge the truth it wouldn't have been difficult.  It is not unusual for there to be no statement if he was a bachelor.

As Annie was around at the death, I think her relationship with Sydney (or another Bail?) must have been recent - perhaps they married before she knew about his previous wedding to Marie-Juliette and then separated soon after. Then again he says that Marguerite was born Paris so the details on the death certificate may not all be completely correct.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline quisontils

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 May 13 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, jorose,
yes I think your idea is interesting. Annie Renaut could be married after his first marriage.
Thanks for your advice.