Author Topic: Residence of Informant  (Read 1652 times)

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Into every life a little sun must shine.
    • View Profile
Residence of Informant
« on: Wednesday 08 May 13 05:14 BST (UK) »
On my great grandmothers death record, the first line of the residence of the informant (her husband), "if out of the house in which the death occurred", is obviously the name of the registrar (Wm Ganick?), which I thought unusual but I can't make out the next two lines.
She died some distance from where I thought they were living.  As she died in 1886 at a place near to the main road, and according to the census the family arrived in England between then and 1891, is it possible that they had started their journey, and therefore didn't have a "residence" when she died?
I thought the other two words might give me a clue, if I knew what they were.
Catleugh - Cunningham - Welsh - Lewis - Lumsden - Lumley-Murdoch-Hoggan-Cowie-Lester-Amos-Pearson-Herbert-Spalding

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Residence of Informant
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

The columns that you are showing have no reference to residence. The wording underneath the signature are

Registrar
Witness

This is because John Cunningham made his mark, rather than signing so a witness to the mark was needed.   Normally, the word 'present' would be written.

The place of death is  recorded in the second column on Scottish certificates.

Gadget

PS I also think that the Registrar's first name is John rather than Wm.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 19:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget.  That makes sense.  I suppose that means she was living at the place of her death.  She died at Cults, Inch Parish, but had been living at Auchnotteroch, Leswalt Parish 6 months previously when she gave birth to my Grandfather. I was told that the last place they lived before leaving for England was the place near Leswalt.
Catleugh - Cunningham - Welsh - Lewis - Lumsden - Lumley-Murdoch-Hoggan-Cowie-Lester-Amos-Pearson-Herbert-Spalding

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
I should have seen that the registrars first name was John.  He's written it exactly the same way as he wrote my great-grandfathers name. Duh!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 20:47 BST (UK) »
Where does it say (col 2) she died?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 May 13 05:17 BST (UK) »
Gadget
It says "Cults", which looks like a very small place on the "Explorer" map I have, about 3 miles from Stranraer.  Her last known residence was Auchnotteroch which is just a few buildings, about 5 miles the other side of Stranraer.  My great-grandfather was a "ploughman", so it may be the farm where he worked.  Acccording to family stories, I think she is buried in Sheuchan cemetery, which is in Stranraer, but part of Leswalt parish. Have found no proof yet, no stone remaining, if there ever was one.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 May 13 07:34 BST (UK) »
I've found this site very useful for some of my rellies:

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ainsty/parishes/gotoparish.html

Gadget

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 May 13 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that link Gadget.  Looks like it will make interesting reading.

Offline Midlad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 May 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
catsleugh,
Auchnotteroch is still a farm today over the years many of my relatives were ploughman there the last one in 1917.
There are "Cult woods " at Castle Kennedy .
My relatives always referred to the "Cults" it was the area where there was an airfield during the war.
If you are in the area it is just past Castle Kennedy on the road to New Luce at one time there was talk of flights from there over to Belfast but it never came to anything.
Now there is a golf driving range.

Midlad