Author Topic: Windows 8 and MS Office Word 2007  (Read 9373 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8 and MS Office Word 2007
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 May 13 21:29 BST (UK) »
I tried to save it as it wouldn't just open so it was the other option.  I'll try copying onto a USB stick and also thoroughly read the link Nicola sent which might just have the answer.

Thank you both for your help.

Lizzie

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 May 13 22:19 BST (UK) »
I`ve not long changed to 8 from XP and also from Office 2003 to 2007.

I have no problems opening my Word Docs created in 2003, but have noticed they open in "compatability mode " , I can then save them as Word Doc, but it will now  save as 2007.

Not much help  I know  but ...
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 May 13 10:00 BST (UK) »
What I've decided to do is to transfer everything from my old Vista laptop to new Windows 8 and see what happens.  Could the problem be related to Vista, as wilcoxon doesn't seem to have any real problems going from XP to8?

Lizzie

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 May 13 11:56 BST (UK) »
I currently use Vista, Win 7 & Win 8 on two computers, and have no problems transferring Word docs between any of them (including docs created in XP on a previous computer) - so you should have had no problems either. I don't think Vista is the culprit.

Michael.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 May 13 14:40 BST (UK) »
Lizzie

It could be a file association issue.  This was one suggestion I found via google, although I don't think they were using Windows 8:

Try to re-associate the Word documents and check the result:

· Right click on the file
· Click open with
· Choose default program
· Select Word.
· If you are unable to see Word in the list browse to the below location.
· Computer, programs files/program files X (86).
· Look for Microsoft Office ->Office 12.
· Select Winword.exe.
· Click ok.
· Check the box ‘Always use the selected program to open this kind of file’.

As wilcoxon says that his 2003 office docs are opening in compatability view, I would imagine your 2007 docs need to as well because Office 2003 and Office 2007 are only 32 bit, rather than Office 2010 which can be both 32 bit and 64 bit.  If you've still got the trial of Office 2010 installed, that could well be the issue.  Try checking that the file association (mentioned above) is set to open in the Office 12 (x86) version and see if that fixes it.

One other suggestion I found, but am not convinced although it was listed by a so-called Microsoft MVP on a forum posting for exactly the same issue was:

Turn off the Preview Pane by clicking on the icon to the left of the help question mark at the top right of the file open dialog.

See how you get on with those.

Nicola

PS.  I've seen the same problem before with Office 2003 and Windows 7, but wasn't involved in fixing it because wasn't server-side issue (great way to avoid fixing PC related issues when only paid to resolve server issues!).
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 May 13 15:23 BST (UK) »
You could also try changing the compatibility settings for Word 2007, picture attached. It shows compatibility for Windows Vista, but you can also select others.

Michael.

Added: sorry the picture is so big; if I reduce the size the text becomes unreadable. You need to scroll across to see the settings box.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 May 13 15:42 BST (UK) »
Doesn't that look different to Windows 7 :o
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 May 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
You're right; the Win 8 desktop is like Win 7 without the aero effects - all the window borders are solid like XP.

However there's no start button etc, this is all on the first screen.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 May 13 16:27 BST (UK) »
Yes I gather a lack of a start button has caused a lot of complaints. ;D

I'm assuming the screen shot was of the windows explorer window, which does look somewhat different to XP and Windows 7.  It's interesting to see how microsoft have tweaked things to get it looking more like Apple's MAC o/s than ever, just don't think it's done them much good. ;D