Author Topic: Windows 8 and MS Office Word 2007  (Read 9367 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8 and MS Office Word 2007
« Reply #18 on: Friday 10 May 13 19:32 BST (UK) »
OK - having taken all day to transfer from vista to Windows 8 - caused by my OH.   ::) He suggested it would be a good idea to do transfer via a network connection, so I had both laptops next to each other and near to the router, installed Easy Transfer onto Vista and set the transfer going between the two laptops, then OH decided he wanted to see if he'd got any e-mails.  The effect was that the transfer stopped with an error message and each time I tried again, I got the same message.  So OH said I could transfer using the hard disc we have.  I told him I didn't need to do a back up first because the easy transfer system did it, but would he listen - what do you think.  So he set the hard disc to do a back up, which took 2 hours, then when I started the transfer again, guess what the easy transfer programme does its own back up - so another 2 hours wasted.  Aaaagh.  Whilst I was transferring from the hard drive to the new laptop, I thought I'd do some work on the other laptop by downloading an unzipping a file - but it wouldn't work, I got a message saying I didn't have permission to unzip the file.  As it was for transcription work that I've been doing for over 2 years and I have unzipped files all the time, I don't know wha

Fortunately, most things have been transferred, but I still can't open Window documents.  So at last I'm going to try the fixes suggested above.  Wish me luck. 

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 10 May 13 20:46 BST (UK) »
Ok - I'm using Firefox not IE, next problem my C drive is called Windows8_OS (C:).  Next problem when I continued to Program Files and clicked on Microsoft Office, then Office12, nothing of note there, so I tracked back and clicked on Program Files (x86) then Microsoft Office, then Office 12, but no Windows.exe.  This is what I get near to where Windows.exe should be.  Fortunately, I can open the Word docs by right clicking and opening in Notepad.  Having spent most of the day messing about with this new laptop - hindered by my OH - I'm going to give up until tomorrow.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 10 May 13 21:02 BST (UK) »
All the suggestions above relate to Winword.exe being the problem, but I haven't got that on my laptop.  So I've checked on my old Vista laptop and Winword.exe isn't on there either.  I don't understand that, as the Windows 2007 disc we have is a genuine Word disc which we bought from a reputable supplier.  However, with or without winword.exe, Word 2007 has always worked perfectly on my old laptop.

ps.  I meant Winword.exe in my previous post, not Windows.exe - it's been a long day.  I think the answer is going to be that I have to get Windows 2013 and hope that works.  Alternatively, I could try downloading Windows 2007 from the disc again.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 10 May 13 21:41 BST (UK) »
All the suggestions above relate to Winword.exe being the problem, but I haven't got that on my laptop.

Hi Lizzie,

You HAVE got Winword.exe on your laptop - on the screenshot 'Office 12 files' you posted it's the seventh file down from the top. It shows just as 'Winword' because you haven't got 'show file extensions' ticked in File Explorer, but you can see that it's listed as an application.

If you right-click on that file & select 'Properties' you will be able to set compatibility mode if necessary. Or you could right-click on one of your earlier docs, select 'Open with' & navigate to the Winword file that you've found.

I think you're nearly there, well done.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 10 May 13 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I didn't think to right click on it  ::)  If I just clicked on it, it just opened a blank windows document.  I right clicked as you suggested, went to properties and compatibility and changed it to Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7 - and it works.  Hurrah. 

Thank you everyone for your help and input.  I am OK using a computer, but don't know much about its workings - like driving a car but not being able to fix the engine.  ::)

Lizzie

ps.  Is it just me, or have the little emoticons gone green? :'(