Author Topic: Cudham Marriage c. 1835  (Read 958 times)

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Cudham Marriage c. 1835
« on: Thursday 09 May 13 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'd be grateful if anyone could let me have details of the marriage of Humphrey Iverson and Sarah on the 3rd March 1835, (according to LDS) particularly fathers of bride and groom if recorded

Thanks very much

John

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Re: Cudham Marriage c. 1835
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 May 13 22:57 BST (UK) »
Evening

I cannot provide you with the details of the marriage. However, several family trees online give Sarah's maiden name as Dalton. By cross referencing her date and place of birth, these trees and the IGI suggest her parents were a George Dalton and Sarah Baldwin.

As for finding out the parents names from the entry, this would be highly unlikely for any marriage that occurred before 1837 when the modern green full certificates were first issued.

If Humphrey and Sarah were married by license, you might get lucky with them being listed, otherwise they may appear as witnesses on the standard pre 1837 records

Regards
Lee

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 May 13 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Lee,

Thanks very much for your answer. I had thought Sarah, of Warlingham, was the daughter of George and Sarah, mailny from Censuses and the LDS information, but I've lead myself astray in the past by doing this and thought I would try and find a little more! I'll try the Licence route you suggest.
Thanks again

John

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 21:24 BST (UK) »
The Cudham marriage register confirms the date and that she was Sarah Dalton. Witnesses James & Susan Hardstone.

The Baptism register 1813-51 has Thomas Iverson, son of Humphrey (labourer) & Sarah, baptised 3-Dec-1837. No other children shown.

Assorted other Iversons which I can look up if need be.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 May 13 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris,

Many thanks for replying to my query. I was sure I could remember seeing somewhere that there was some doubt about Sarah's surname - before I realised I should write everything down as the "silver moments" start joining up and getting longer - but with your info and that of Lee plus the censuses recording that Sarah was born in Warlingham, there seems little doubt that she was in fact the daughter of George and Sarah. Thank you too for your offer of further Iverson information. I shall hang fire on that, if I may, and confine myself for the moment of the myriad offspring of Mrs Sarah Iverson and her siblings

Kind regards

John

Offline Madwith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
My family is descended from one of Sarah's siblings, Phillis Dalton, who married Benjamin Fairall at Warlingham on 3 Sept 1836. Benjamin was a wheelwright. There were 6 children, John, Benjamin, George, Abel and Jane. George was my gggrandfather. Phillis and Benjamin died in Caterham, which is where Benjamin's family lived.
I have more information if you are interested.

Madwith

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 February 14 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Madwith,
I'm afraid the family history is somewhat on hold at the moment, but hope to resume shortly. Thank you for your reply, I'm more or less up to date with Phillis and her family, I think, but I have a problem with a couple of her siblings, James, born 1804, I can only find his baptism, and John, born 1820, after his baptism I can only find a possible "candidate" in 1871, a John J Dalton, 51, a Coal Merchant born West Wickham, Kent, in Camberwell with wife Ann M., 52, and in 1891 John Dalton, 71, widower, a Gardener, born Croydon. If you can shed any light on these two, I'd be grateful.
Thanks again,
John