Author Topic: JOHN THOMAS WALL born circa 1840 Cheltenham UK  (Read 6433 times)

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN THOMAS WALL born circa 1840 Cheltenham UK
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 14:10 BST (UK) »
I think Arthur Calvert Wall, who was born in England (freebmd) shortly before the death of John Thomas Wall's wife Cecilia, is likely to be the child of John Thomas and Cecilia - possibly her death was related to childbirth.

The National Archives of Singapore are who you need to consult for early marriages:
http://www.nas.gov.sg/services1.htm
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue soper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 May 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
I am having trouble in accessing data  from the singapore National archives, they are not very user friendly!  I have also been in touch with the Raffles Institute school who are searching their records for the Wall girls.  They say that the girls would have been called by their proper names, was Minnie christened Minnie?
I know that "Minnie " married James  Henderson Drysdale and that he was a well known man in singapore why can I find nothing their marriage  in the national archives and  the singapore pages.
Any ideas gratefully received!  Sue

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 May 13 19:06 BST (UK) »
There isn't anything online for the Singapore National Archives, but they do hold the marriage records - if your son is still living in Singapore then it would be probably easiest if he contacts them directly.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue soper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 May 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
Anyone know anything about a well known figure in Singapore John Henderson Drysdale, he left the UK to work in singapore with  an engineering company   between the 1890's and  1918 when he returned to the UK and died there in 1924. I have reports  about a sale of the furniture of his home in Grange rd.  Marriage of one of  his daughter's  and  information about his  two sons Frank and Alan.
Does anyone know which of the wall girls he married in  the 1890's?

Offline KAMB

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 March 15 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Do you mean James Henderson Drysdale. He married Alice Florence Wall (known I believe as Minnie). They had 2 sons (Alan & Frank) and 2 daughters (Florence & Lily). I have Lily's birth certificate (Lily was born 7th Feb 1899 in Singapore) which verifies the details of her parents. Both Frank & Alan died in tragic circumstances, Frank in the Indian Mutiny and Alan took his own life I believe. James H. Drysdale is buried in Crieff Cemetry in Scotland, Lair 890, grave can be viewed on "Gravestone Photographic Research" web site. I also hold the deeds to the Lair.