Author Topic: Hay family of Coleraine  (Read 8020 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hay family of Coleraine
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 May 13 10:11 BST (UK) »
William Thomas Hay of Captain St. Upper (haven't been there since last night) who died in 1931 was the son of Edward Hay, coachbuilder- probably named after Edward's brother. Edward had at least 9 children.
In the same list as EWC Hay in the Gazette there's his brother, Francis Robert Hay.

Am still compiling family notes from my files and have uncovered the history of the coachbuilding business (and probably how Edward Hay became involved).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 May 13 10:14 BST (UK) »
William Thomas Hay of Captain St. Upper (haven't been there since last night) who died in 1931 was the son of Edward Hay, coachbuilder- probably named after Edward's brother. Edward had at least 9 children.
In the same list as EWC Hay in the Gazette there's his brother, Francis Robert Hay.

Am still compiling family notes from my files and have uncovered the history of the coachbuilding business (and probably how Edward Hay became involved).

Ahhh, best I keep out for now...

:)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 May 13 10:26 BST (UK) »
No, I'm sure all help is appreciated. Gailmack is mainly interested in Edward Hay and earlier records which are probably not online which is why I'm trolling through my Coleraine files (which are not indexed).

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 May 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I was aiming to get the William Thomas route back to Edward and Margaret.

I'll definitely bow out now but if, as you say, William Thomas Hay is a son of Edward rather than a brother (which would have made Edward William Carter Hay Edward grandson rather than nephew as stated in the will), then it changes the story. Waiting in anticipation...

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 May 13 13:26 BST (UK) »
Folks
I am truly delighted and grateful for your input.
I believe (having gone back and read his will more carefully) Edward Snr had a brother Wm Thos (he refers in it to his nephew EWC Hay, 'son of Wm Thos'), and also further on, to a son named Wm Thos.
And I'm fairly confident of Edward Snr's DOB - the cemeteries office  in Coleraine kindly sent me burial details and he died 5 May 1890, aged 82, according to their records. That places his birth circa 1808.
I'm wondering if I chased details for Edward's brother, William Thomas, might a birth record or marriage cert reveal their father's name?
I really am so pleased - the trail had gone completely dead and now I'm hopeful of discovering  even a little more.  Thank you.
Gail
Moorhead - Carnew, Lisnaward & Garvaghy
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Elder - Ballymoney, Coleraine, Portstewart
Kennedy - Coleraine & Knock, Belfast
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 May 13 21:10 BST (UK) »
Did lots of searching for Edward's brother William Thomas (and his son) without any luck. Several promising leads later turned out to be wrong but will keep looking.

Starting with the family-
Edward “Ned” Hay (c1808-1890) m.(1831) Margaret Ann Taylor. At least 9 children:
1.   Edward Hay (c1833-1886).
2.   James Hay (c1839-1915) m.(1886) Adelaide Finlay Elder (c1850-1918). Four children: Mary Adelaide (1888-1893), Edward James (1888 Coleraine-1933), Hugh Bellas (1889-1895), Margaret Adelaide (1894).
3.   Grace Taylor Hay (c1840-1921).
4.   Jane Hay (c1844-1926).
5.   Joseph Hay (c1847-1918) m.(1884) Janet Robb (1864-1891). Two sons: Francis Edward Cecil (d.1885), Edward Norman (1889-1943).
6.   Margaret Ann Hay (c1851) m.(1881) Joseph Wray.
7.   Francis Hay.
8.   Robert Alexander Hay (c1858-1886).
9.   William Thomas Hay (c1845-1931) m.(c1874) Clara Emily Chandler (c1858). Nine children: Edward William C. (c1876), Francis Robert (1877), John Bertram (1879), Margaret (c1881-aft.1958), Eveleen Clara (1885-1956), Adelaide Louise (1888), Eustace O’Neill (1892), and 2 children (died before 1911).

The above family tree is only a brief outline but let me know if you want full dates, sources, etc.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 May 13 21:14 BST (UK) »
Wonder if Edward Hay became involved in coachbuilding through his wife's connection?

Coleraine in Modern Times- Chapter 4 Transport and Communications “An 1839 directory gives the coach and jaunting car makers in Coleraine as William Hartford (Stone Row), Moses McCaughey (Bridge Street) and Francis Saurin (Long Commons). William Hartford spent £400 in building premises in Lower Stone Row, and by steady industry built up a large business employing many workmen,. He died in 1845 at the early age of 31 and his business was taken over by Moses McCaughey and Thomas Taylor (who became insolvent), then by Thoms, then by Hendersons and later by John McVicar. In 1866 the trustees of James Barr, coach builder, were forced to sell off the business.
…Following their insolvency in 1850, McCaughey and Taylor set up later that year as the Northern Coach factory at 8 New Row. Thomas Taylor set up on his own account in New Row in 1857, but what I take to be the same business was purchased by Edward Hay in 1861.

Still have a few more files to search through but unfortunately the information is not indexed or chronological.

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 May 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
I am absolutely amazed at the depth of information and the speed with which you have produced it all. Simply astonishing!  Most of the sibling information (with the exception of Wm Thos) is not new to me but could I ask you how you know Edward Hay Snr was nicknamed 'Ned'? I haven't seen that before.
I had wondered myself if Margaret's family was involved but her father was James Taylor, not Thomas, so it would be interesting to see if a family connection did exist. 
I have to say, though, I feel rather guilty at the amount of work you are doing on my behalf. Guilty, but so grateful!
Gail
Moorhead - Carnew, Lisnaward & Garvaghy
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Elder - Ballymoney, Coleraine, Portstewart
Kennedy - Coleraine & Knock, Belfast
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 01:04 BST (UK) »
Have a note here re: 'Ned' but will have to look for it. Was by Adelaide Avenue, Coleraine this afternoon and it was hailing (not nice weather for May).

A bit on the Taylors-
Coleraine Chronicle, 29 Sept.1860: At New Row, Coleraine, on the 28th inst., Eliza, wife of Mr. Thomas Taylor, coach builder, aged 38 years.
Coleraine Chronicle, 22 Dec.1860: At Coleraine, on the 14th inst., Mr. Thomas Taylor, coach builder, aged 44 years.

From the above it seems possible that Thomas Taylor could be a brother of Margaret's but no proof yet. Both deaths do explain why Edward Hay purchased the business in 1861.