Author Topic: Assisi Mother & Baby Homes  (Read 80130 times)

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Assisi Mother & Baby Homes
« on: Saturday 11 May 13 14:09 BST (UK) »

Hello, I have posted this message on the Hampshire board but someone has informed me that it might belong to this Surrey Board.

Hi, not sure if anyone can help please?  In 1965 I was sent to a home run by nuns in and (if my memory serves me well) it was in Churt, Hampshire.  You know how you have flash backs, well I remember being treated abominably by the nuns there especially when giving birth.  I had my child with me, a boy, for about six weeks when my mother came to pick me up and take me by taxi to Southwark, London, where my son was handed over to his adoptive parents.  Am wondering if anyone can name this place where I had my son please?  I had heard some years ago that the building was converted into flats.  I remember it being down a long, narrow, leafy lane and the grounds were extensive.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Mother and Baby Home run by Nuns in Churt in the 1960's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 May 13 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Wonder if it was the  'Assisi Mother & Baby Home'( Catholic maternity home ), Hammer Lane, Grayshott (about 4 miles from Churt) , this is now converted to private housing.

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 May 13 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire, thank you so much.  It was that Home.  I have just googled Hammer Lane and recognise it just as I had described it as being a long narrow lane.  Have tried to search if there are any pictures of the Home but can't find anything as yet.  There appears to be some houses there now or possibly apartments.

Once again thank you for your time and help.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 May 13 23:42 BST (UK) »
These people proffess to hold info about the Assisi Home.

www.cabrini.org.uk/UserFiles/File/pdf/case_studies/...

And there is this too...

Assisi
    In Hammer Lane – Now a private house split into separate dwellings, at one time it was used as a Catholic maternity home for unmarried mothers – We are often contacted by people who were born here and are trying to trace their mothers – a useful contact for them is the Catholic Children’s Society, 49 Russell Hill Road, Purley, Surrey CR8 2XB – Tel: 020 8668 2181 www.catholicchildrenssociety.org.uk.

Is this it? http://www.uk-property-listing.co.uk/property_photo/home_23139_53102.html
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 May 13 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hiya, thank you for the information.  I think that might be the house, am sure that is the back of the house as I recall a driveway kinda sweeping to the front door.  The house is certainly large enough ie in the amount of bedrooms etc.  I wonder if it is haunted with the screams of some of the young girls who were also treated abominably, I won't even begin to say how some of us were treated whilst giving birth.  The actual surrounding area to the house was quite beautiful ie the land etc.  There was also a small unit down a pathway, just away fromt he main house where some of the girls would sleep.  This is bringing back some really good but more so bad memories of my time there but just wanted to see if the old place was still standing.  I wonder if anyone will come forward who was at this place in 1965?

You have been so helpful and I thank you for your time also.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Offline Val McFerran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 May 13 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hi I was sent to Assisi mother and baby home in Hammer lane in 1967, I was 16 at the time and my parents were ashamed of what I had gotten myself into, and so was dispached there...I think I can honestly say it was the scariest time of my life, We were made to scrub floors and polish wooden flights of stairs on our hands and knees right up to going into labour...church every morning before breakfast...really early.the nuns took all our money and we were allowed ancouple of pounds to go to the village once a week for baby cream talc  etc..it was so creepy and dark i spent so much time crying there....After my baby boy was born in March I had him christened there but then decided I would rather die than leave him there for some other family to have ....My Mum eventually gave in to my pleading and came and got me and my baby...so it was all for nothing really...It has left awful memories of Nuns creeping about in the dark...and felling totaly alone. so much for the catholic religon....So glad they close all those homes down ..They were getting money for our babies it was so corrupt..I cant think of anything nice to say except the other girls I met there were just nice girls who had made a mistake and were truly paying for it...Val McFerran Hope this helps

Offline carriex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Val
I am writing a book (fictional) and wondered if you would be willing to contact me on my private email address?  I can't see how to private message you direct (or maybe this isn't possible?).
Many thanks.

Offline Val McFerran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 14:07 BST (UK) »
That sounds very interesting you can email me on Woops I cant give you my address on here and tell me more about it
Regards
     Val

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 14:12 BST (UK) »
Val Rootschat does not allow you to post your private email address,but when both of you have made 3 postings,you will able to contact each other via the personal message system.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk