Author Topic: Assisi Mother & Baby Homes  (Read 79420 times)

Offline carmelina

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mother and Baby Home run by Nuns in Churt in the 1960's
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 August 14 21:08 BST (UK) »
I think the previous person who said this mother and baby home was called Grayshott, Hindhead, Surrey, because I was there in August 30th 1965 the day my son Mark Anthony was born.  My parents and my sister came for his Christening in the church attached.  We then had to take Mark to Sheringham in Norfolk where he awaited adoption.   But luckily for Mark and me, I was able to bring him home when he was 18months old when I got married and had two more sons.

I would be happy to communicate with any of the ladies who remember me Carmelina, I am maltese and I do remember several of the ladies but do not wish to name them in case they wish to remain anonymous.

I am glad to find this site and maybe I will connect with some of my friends who were there at the same time.

Offline carmelina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 August 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi KathrynBryant, I was at Grayshott, Hindhead, Surrey, 1n 1965 August 30th when my son Mark was born and I am pleased to say that he was not adopted so after 18 months I got married and went up to Sheringham Norfolk to fetch him home and I had two more boys after that.  I wish I could say that we all lived happily ever after..... but its a long story and I would be happy to share with the person on this site who is writing a book.
But Mark is a wonderful son as are the other two sons I had later

Moderator comment: edited for content

Offline Tellysinge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 27 December 14 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello I'd like to ask - especially Val Farrer who posted on this thread - whether she remembers a young woman from Gibraltar called Laura Barea who I believe was at the Assisi home in 1967 and had a baby girl in April-May-June of that year.  She was my late aunt (my late father's sister) and I am doing some family research into my ancestry.  My Mum has told me that my aunt went through a terrible time at the home with all the polishing of floors and stairs while heavily pregnant.  Her baby daughter died soon after birth (I have found baby's birth and death records and the location is in district of the Assisi home which is why I am almost certain Laura, my late aunt would have been there.) Can anyone shed any more light, anyone remember Laura? I've just joined this site so finding my way on these threads.  Any information would be really appreciated.  Thank you in advance.  Helen

Offline Tellysinge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 28 December 14 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello I'd like to ask - especially Val Farrer who posted on this thread - whether she remembers a young woman from Gibraltar called Laura Barea who I believe was at the Assisi home in 1967 and had a baby girl in April-May-June of that year.  She was my late aunt (my late father's sister) and I am doing some family research into my ancestry.  My Mum has told me that my aunt went through a terrible time at the home with all the polishing of floors and stairs while heavily pregnant.  Her baby daughter died soon after birth (I have found baby's birth and death records and the location is in district of the Assisi home which is why I am almost certain Laura, my late aunt would have been there.) Can anyone shed any more light, anyone remember Laura? I've just joined this site so finding my way on these threads.  Any information would be really appreciated.  Thank you in advance.  Helen

Offline Searcher77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 00:11 GMT (UK) »
My father was born in this home on the 20th August 1947, his first and middle name was Michael Joseph, which he ended up keeping as two middle names. He has sadly passed lately. I posted more info on another thread but am restricted replying to personal messages.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Searcher77

Your post count has reached the required number to allow you to use the personal message system.

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Tellysinge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 14 January 15 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much.  I have found this forum really interesting and very useful in my family history research. 

Offline rosinamangan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 18 January 15 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Dav63, I was born at Grayshott in 63 too. I have my mother's papers from the St Francis Adoption Society and your Mum Sally gets a mention. Sally told my mother that she had been in Grayshott and that is how she heard about the place. I actually went cold when I saw the name as while it has always been a reference to the papers, I never expected to be in contact with her child. I was later at Sheringham and then adopted by a couple in Bedfordshire.

Offline KathrynBryant1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 18 January 15 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I'm so pleased I started this topic.  It has certainly stirred some memories for many people.   One lady who added to the topic and PM'd me rememered a young girl in 1965 dancing ballet, Swan Lake.   Low and behold that was me.  How amazing is that.  That was 50 years ago.  I do hope this topic helps a lot more people.

Kind regards

Kathryn