Author Topic: Assisi Mother & Baby Homes  (Read 79433 times)

Offline Newell60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Assisi Mother & Baby Homes
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you Damian. All the best to you,

Ernie.

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Monday 08 October 18 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi all...

Just keeping this thread open for all of us..

I am still seeking my own history and have been very busy lately and especially lucky to have someone who I can't name on here helping me.... I think that person knows who they are though....

Don't give up people... really don't give up..

I don't have a definitive history yet on my family background and it does seem quite complex, but I do feel I am making headway.. At least I know I am Irish now!!!!

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Monday 08 October 18 03:12 BST (UK) »
On my mothers side that is... Definitely Irish.. a Galway Girl.... I have now a long history of family in Galway

I have still a still a long way to go to get my father,,, but as always I am hopeful for the next piece of information that will give me more insight.

As mentioned, my journey is really about my son and his need to know... who, what where, when why and then eventually how.. although how doesn't really compute...

Take care all

Big love as always

Damo x

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Thursday 18 October 18 22:21 BST (UK) »
The reason is, I need to know what happened to me for my own sanity.. and then to work out where I come from and who I am. So who my Mother, Father and wider family are or were. I am working on it.

Assisi was my place of birth, I know that much, it's what happened afterwards I am still trying to track down and piece together, for example why was my maternal mother there in the first place.. Who was my father etc

Although I know I ended up in a so called "private foster home" in Putney, SW London, I know nothing as to why I was placed there and who my real family are.. Also take "private foster home" with a pinch of salt, it was not a nice place to be!

Although I do know my Maternal mother was Irish and Catholic to boot.. When I do this family research I look also for my father, who is yet to be found. But I still think that there are closed records that would help us all if we had access to them.. the problem is they aren't open and we all need to jump through hoops and expend money to try and get anywhere.

I would like to say a big thanks though to [url]https://movementforanadoptionapology.org/]https://movementforanadoptionapology.org/][url]https://movementforanadoptionapology.org/[/url]

But like I have said to them just recently, they are only dealing or looking at adopted children and not those of us that were not adopted, but maybe just given up / given away. Placed in Children's homes etc

My search for the source of truth goes on.. As soon as I have more I will post again..

Best wishes to you all
D

Offline Kirsten77

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Monday 10 December 18 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Gidday Damo,

I’m not sure where to start but you seem very informed.  I’m in NZ (born and bred) and found out that my mum who is now deceased, had another girl, 4 years before me in the Assisi Home on Grayshott, Alton.  Now that the place is gone, how do you start looking for records?

PS I’ve enjoyed reading your very insightful posts.

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Monday 10 December 18 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kirsten

Thanks for your message and sorry for my tardy reply to your post.. but thanks so much for getting in touch.. as that is the first thing to do. Especially with all the secrecy around M&B homes and especially Assisi

I can't give you any definitive answers in this post.. as there are certain policies to adhere to, such as this site is not for finding living relatives apparently, not sure why. . but happy to chat with you 1-2-1.
The info I have on Assisi is still more or less what I have already posted, so worth a read again even for me sometimes, and there are some clues as to where to look.

My best bet for you is to get all the info you have together, names and dates or near dates, etc and post to me a PM..

I will then try and give you a steer on the best organisations to approach.

I hope to hear from you soon.. all the very best

Damo

Offline Newell60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday 26 December 18 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Merry Christmas to all who have posted on this thread. I hope all your questions have been answered or you are getting closer to your answers.

Ernie.

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ernie

Thanks so much for your kind and thoughtful message..

I wish you a happy New Year and prosperous 2019.

All the best

DAMO

Offline annielaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I came across this post and felt I had to contribute.  I was born at the Assisi Home in November 1958, then moved to the nursery in Sheringham, Norfolk where I remained with my birth mother for about 8 months.  From there I was returned to the Crusade of Rescue in Ladbroke Grove and fostered from the age of 11 months and subsequently adopted at the age of 4.  What I was shocked to learn from your posts was that the nursery in Sheringham was basically a waiting room for babies to be adopted!  I had always assumed that the 'kind' nuns had found my mother a job to help her try and keep me.  That clearly wasn't the case.  To add a twist to the story, when I was 7 years of age, my (adoptive) sister at the age of 17, joined the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood (the same order of nuns that ran Assisi).  She remained a num with that order until she died in 2009.  Strange coincidence!  The nun who signed my birth records was Sister Bernadine.  By the time I was old enough to know anything about my beginnings, she had died.  I recently read the Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers by Angela Patrick which has stirred everything up again.  I met my birth mother in 1987, saw her three times and didn't really understand what she must have gone through.  Now she has died and now that I am older, I wish I could have had more understanding of her situation.  I am a family law solicitor and recently dealt with a complicated and contested adoption.  My approach, I suspect, must be affected by my history!