Author Topic: Assisi Mother & Baby Homes  (Read 38217 times)

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Assisi Mother & Baby Homes
« Reply #162 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ernie

Thanks so much for your kind and thoughtful message..

I wish you a happy New Year and prosperous 2019.

All the best

DAMO

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline annielaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I came across this post and felt I had to contribute.  I was born at the Assisi Home in November 1958, then moved to the nursery in Sheringham, Norfolk where I remained with my birth mother for about 8 months.  From there I was returned to the Crusade of Rescue in Ladbroke Grove and fostered from the age of 11 months and subsequently adopted at the age of 4.  What I was shocked to learn from your posts was that the nursery in Sheringham was basically a waiting room for babies to be adopted!  I had always assumed that the 'kind' nuns had found my mother a job to help her try and keep me.  That clearly wasn't the case.  To add a twist to the story, when I was 7 years of age, my (adoptive) sister at the age of 17, joined the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood (the same order of nuns that ran Assisi).  She remained a num with that order until she died in 2009.  Strange coincidence!  The nun who signed my birth records was Sister Bernadine.  By the time I was old enough to know anything about my beginnings, she had died.  I recently read the Baby Laundry for Unmarried Mothers by Angela Patrick which has stirred everything up again.  I met my birth mother in 1987, saw her three times and didn't really understand what she must have gone through.  Now she has died and now that I am older, I wish I could have had more understanding of her situation.  I am a family law solicitor and recently dealt with a complicated and contested adoption.  My approach, I suspect, must be affected by my history! 

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

Thanks so much for posting and sharing your personal experience on this topic. I think the more people that do post and share, helps many others who have been through the whole M&B Home system, as even the minimal amount of information on a forum like this can hopefully be a little bit of help to others. 

For example this particular thread as of today, as I am writing this, has now been read 37,494 times, I think that in itself is indicative of how many people have been affected and are searching to find out more to enable them to put into perspective their beginnings in life, and/or what their birth mothers went through. As it is only now as we are all getting older and through our own shared endeavours, that we are staring to find out drip by drip the truth which has been covered up for so long. Although like you have said, there have now been a few books written about it.

I was sorry to hear your own story, and even though you were taken from your birth mother, I sincerely hope that you had a good experience as an adopted child.

I sometimes wish I had been adopted rather than gone through the childhood I had, but then again if I had been adopted and not experienced what I did, then I might probably not be as interested in my own story and the whole sorry practice of M&B Homes.

I wish you all the very best
DAMO

Offline Damian Keady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Sunday 27 January 19 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie

It's me again, sorry to bother you... I hope you are well though!

You mentioned you are a Family Law Solicitor..

Both you and I have something in common, we were both born at Assisi, the place our maternal mothers gave birth to us.. as babies...

Not asking for you to commit at this point in time to anything, but if you would like to explore further the M&B Homes scenario as to what went on and why we struggle to get answers today, I would be more than happy to assist you and also take a lead, in getting some answers or at least some perspective..

As mentioned, there are so many people that just need to know Why...You can PM me on here.

I think your qualification and life skills and my tenacity may get some answers, not just for me and you, but for all those those whose seek the answers to their own questions..

Best wishes for now..

Damo x

Offline annielaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Monday 04 February 19 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Damo

Thank you for your replies.  I just wonder whether we would ever get answers. All the publicity has always surrounded the Catholic church in Ireland but it is frightening to know that the same things were happening in England and went on until well into the 1980s.  Thank goodness we are more enlightened these days.

Best wishes to you.