Author Topic: look up request Pax list Glasgow to a Quebec Canada port Oldfield 1906  (Read 2823 times)

Offline bes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: look up request Pax list Glasgow to a Quebec Canada port Oldfield 1906
« Reply #18 on: Monday 13 May 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
I am investigating a Sarah Elizabeth Johnson b 1876 Hexham Northumberland found through a findmypast.co.uk as a possible contender to be Sarah.  I think she is the same Sarah found living in East Halton, Yorkshire in the 1881 uk census ( familysearch.org)  with her father James and mother Ann b LIncoln 1843.   James is listed as 52 in 1881.  He may be deceased in 1902 and therefore may be the reason I can't find them on the registry.  I think that Sarah is living with Ann and her youngest brother James b cerca 1878 in Ince Cheshire in 1991.   She also has a brother Robert b1863. John b 1868 and a sister Mary ann b 1867.  I am trying to find out when James died.

bes

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks keyboard86 and Sandra!  You found them. I guess I can mark this lookup as complete unless anyone has any information on Sarah ie her parents names She was born Sarah Eliabeth Johnson around 1877 in Northumberland ( according to the pax list) and she married George W. Oldfield in Acomb, York at St. Stephens.  The easily obtained listing of the marriage only lists George's father Ralph. I appreciate everyone's help and such a quick response! :D

Do you have the actual marriage registration?

Offline bes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 22:42 BST (UK) »
HI Cosmac,

Thanks for you interest.  I don't have a copy of their marriage certificate, but I have found  their marriage listed through the ukbmd and through family search.org ( though for some reason I  am having difficulty retrieving it today.  Through ancestry.com the reference on the ukbmd index for
Great Ouseburn  Yorkshire west riding  volume 9a pg 151. 

Through family search using the English and Wales marriage index I used to be able to find a search result that listed The marriage of George William Oldfield to Sarah Elizabeth Johnson in 1902 at St. Stephen's Acomb which listed George's father Ralph Oldfield.  The reciprocal announcement for Sarah did not list a parent.  The weddings of all of George's siblings had reciprocal listings which listed their father or their spouses father.  The fact that Sarah's father cannot be found in these listings makes me hesitant to order the certificate because I am afraid it is not listed. I don't really require the other information on the certificate at the moment.  I have other people in my tree who were born out of wedlock where the father is unknown but the mother's name was listed instead.  Does any one know under what circumstances a parents name would not be listed?

Thanks  bes

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 May 13 02:18 BST (UK) »
I cannot personally locate the parish record of the marriage online but usually if no father is listed it would indicate illegitimacy.

What does concern me here (and sorry to sound a wet blanket) is that the birth of a Sarah Elizabeth Johnson in Mar.qtr.1876 Hexham, Northumberland which you think could be her is not, I feel, the correct one.   On the 1911 Canada Census month of birth is given and it states July 1877 for Sarah.   George's states Sept.1878 but this should clearly be 1877 as he was baptised early 1878.   Whilst Sarah's birth year could equally be slightly wrong I doubt very much that the month of birth would be wrong and a July birth wouldn't be registered in a March quarter.

I would think you do need the full details from the marriage certificate - a) to ascertain whether or not a father is listed for Sarah (and not just an error on the entry you previously viewed) and b) hopefully an occupation and address for her to enable a search to find her on the 1901 Census.   Unfortunately you are dealing with a common set of names for her and can't really second guess it.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 May 13 03:11 BST (UK) »
The marriage registration may or may not contain her father's name but sometimes the names of the witnesses at the marriage can be very helpful in determining family relationships.

Offline bes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 May 13 04:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette and Cosmac for your help and insight.  It's just as valuable to have a theory discounted as well as confirmed.  I didn't have access to the month of birth for the 76 birth and I agree I doubt that the census takers would get it wrong as well. I wish I had better information on her year of birth The information I have has her birth anywhere between 1874 to 1877. ( The pax list in 1906 has her age as 32).  I found out that The Ontario Archives have released her suspected year of death records on microfiche so I am going to try to go and view them sometime in the next couple of weeks as they may answer my questions.  I also realize that when the pax list states she is from Northumberland it might mean simply that she had spent a  certain part of her life there.  If the records don't give me the information I need than I will order the marriage certificate, because they might at least help me identify some other family members.

I know what you mean about common names.  I have one line of my family that contains two lines of Madills both who have a father John and who share many names in common among their siblings and children. There seems to be a great deal of disagreement to which John the spouses belong two among within the family trees I have looked at, but that's a discussion for another thread. 

Thanks everyone for you help and If I do resolve this I will let you know, I of course still welcome any insight and help anyone can offer.

Bes

Offline kd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 19 March 22 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Sarah's death is on Ancestry, it says her father was William Johnson and her mother Annie Southcote. 

She died  10 Jan 1937 her birth date was  6 July 1878.
Jenkins
Morris
knowles
Coleman