Author Topic: St. Aidens Church, Kilmore  (Read 7177 times)

Offline Torrie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St. Aidens Church, Kilmore
« on: Monday 13 May 13 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Was wondering if anyone lives close to St. Aiden's chuch in Kilmore and would be willing to see if a John Odgers and wife are buried there.

St. Aiden's has a website that provides an email for genealogy requests, however after several attempts at contacting them I have had no success.

John Odgers  1817-1892 and Mary Ann Draffin 1832-1891 is the head stone I am looking for. Any other Odgers in the cemetery would be helpful as well.

Thank you!!!
Torrie :)
Scott, Coulson, Simpson, Livingstone, Odgers, McBride, McAlister, McInnes, Aitichison, McCallum, Cameron, McKinnon, Fullerton, Robertson, Fairbairn, Craig, Draffin,

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: St. Aidens Church, Kilmore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
I believe all markers for St. Aidens are transcribed and indexed on http://www.irish-world.com/frame.htm

The ones you mention aren't there for Kilmore but there are perfect matches in Tynan along with a Maggie Odgers who died in 1890 and has a consecutive index number with John and Maryanne. I'm not sure what graveyard that is.

Offline Torrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Ansimi!

Thank you for the link to that website! As I don't believe my Irish ancestors were catholic, I believe the Presbyterian church in tynan is Middletown church.

Unfortunately they don't appear to have a website or any information online about the church :(

Thanks again for the website link! will buy a transcription there :)

Torrie
Scott, Coulson, Simpson, Livingstone, Odgers, McBride, McAlister, McInnes, Aitichison, McCallum, Cameron, McKinnon, Fullerton, Robertson, Fairbairn, Craig, Draffin,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 08:31 BST (UK) »
If you type 'middletown' into the first search box you will see that there are 2 Presbyterian congregations in the area- Drumhillery & Middletown.
Remember that many Presbyterians would be buried in the Parish (Church of Ireland) graveyard- whose burial register 1) may not have survived for the period you need and 2) may not record Presbyterians buried there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RossMcfadden1826

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 October 13 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi: I contacted St Aidan's last winter and did not hear back for several months. I tried again, only to find out 1. he did not receive my first email, and 2. the gentleman had been off on sick leave for a period of time. When he responded, he was very helpful, and let me know their record books only begin in the mid1800's. He suggested PRONI as a possibility for what I was looking for - Mcfadden birth and family info in 1780-1800. i suggest trying again. Good luck.

Offline SandraB77

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 March 16 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I live close to St Aidens, I just realised yesterday I have some ancestors who belonged to that parish, and I am going today to look at the graves. I will look out for Odgers when Im there, and photograph any graves I see.
Sandra

Offline Torrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 March 16 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra!

Thank you so much! Looking forward to hearing if you found anything
Torrie

Offline Ian Drumcree

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Torrie,

I was up at St Aiden's today, looking for some of my own relatives and spotted a headstone for Odgers, which reads as follows:

"Erected to the memory of Robert Odgers of Kilmacanty, who died 24th August 1889 aged 83 years,
also his wife Allice Odgers, who died 16th August 1890 aged 84 years, also his daughter Susanna Hampton, who died 10th December 1862 aged 29 years, and of his daughter Annie Odgers who died 5th July 1874 aged 38 years, and his son Samuel Odgers, who died 29th February 1909 aged 70 years"

As you walk up the footpath from the road to the Church, the headstone is a short distance in on the left hand side and about 6 graves back. Unusually, the spelling of Allice is as shown, with two 'L's'.

Hope this is of some help.

Ian

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 February 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I only had time to photograph a few g/stones when I was there.

Put them on IGP......   

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/armagh/photos/tombstones/armagh-tynan/index.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.