Author Topic: Christchurch Archives - help please.  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Christchurch Archives - help please.
« on: Tuesday 14 May 13 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am seeking baptismal dates/info on any of the children of Joseph & Agnes CARR who lived around the Leeston/Ellesmere area from the 1860s. Probably Presbyterian or C of E.
Known names are;
Mary c 1866
Joseph,
Esther
Jane
John
Robert
Sarah
I'd be very grateful indeed if anyone could find anything! that might help as they don't appear to have births registered.
Tks
Dale
HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Christchurch Archives - help please.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 21:05 BST (UK) »
Do you know for sure that the children born in New Zealand, or might they have been born prior to migration?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Dale

You may like to alter the your topic title from Christchurch Archives to "Christchurch Library" ?   ;)

It is Christchurch Library which has the card index of Baptisms ( Marriages / and some burials).

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 23:39 BST (UK) »
Do you know for sure that the children born in New Zealand, or might they have been born prior to migration?

"Ellesmere Guardian" - 2 May 1914 - News of the Day

Obituary of Mrs Agnes CARR - early settler of Leeston   ... aged 72 years ... died at the home of her son-in-law (Joseph McCLURE) ... interment at Presbyterian section, Ellesmere Cemetery ... she was the mother of 3 daughters and 2 sons ...

[NZ Marriage :  Joseph McClure - Sarah CARR -- 1898 ]

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 May 13 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Dale,

This family appears on Ancestry - the owner is a retired male who lives in Westport. Do you wish me to contact him for you.
If you go to Papers Past and choose the newspaper "Ellesmere Guardian" you will find some death notices.
A lot of them are buried at Ellesmere Cemetery - there is no data base on line but the Selwyn District Council welcomes enquiries  = cemeteries  at selwyn.govt.nz.

The Ancestry Tree does not have exact birth dates.
I will see if the children's baptisms are recorded when I visit the Christchurch Library (Peterborough Street) this afternoon.

Regards
Jean
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 00:08 BST (UK) »
Many thanks everyone. I have gathered "stuff" from the Ellesmere Guardian and have the burial info from Selwyn DC and am gradually collecting Death certs.

I have Mary's Baptism recorded as April 1866 at Shand's Track but possibly born Jan in  Killinchy.  I don't yet know where any of the others were born  Also haven't found the family's voyage to NZ.

Jean thank you - I'll take a look at Ancetsry trees and PM you.  And I would be grateful for a lok up at the Library. Apologies for the error re Archives!
Dale
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 05:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Dale,
I have a great big zilch for you - nothing.
Yes Mary is recorded as being born in "January" and baptised 8 April 1866 at Shands Track. The record is in a Wesleyan register.

John Carr, who married Alice Smith 17 April 1907 at the Roman Catholic Presbytery says he is aged 33 and born in Leeston. So that makes a birth year of 1874.

Joseph Carr, who married Elizabeth Snell 9 Jan 1889 at the house of Mr John Snell, Leeston, says he is aged 26 and born in Ireland. So a birth year of 1863.

These two boys are the sons of Joseph Carr and Agnes Morton.

If you wish, I can look up the girls' marriages and see what they declare about their age and place of birth.

I do have all the details of the above two marriages if you want them.

Just in case they suddenly decided they were Roman Catholic, I have a CDRom of baptisms in Canterbury, but they do not appear there.

I could not believe how many different Carr families were in the Ellesmere area pre 1900's.

I await your further instructions  ;D What do you need next?
Regards
Jean, who is very pleased to get her teeth into something.
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 07:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jean! Unbelievably prompt!
I will send you a PM where I can set out ALL my suspicions!
Gratefully yours
Dale

Offline Awatea

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 July 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Dale, did you find the information you were looking for about Joseph and Agnes Carr's children. I too am interested as I am a descendant of Esther Carr.