Author Topic: Adelaide Finlay Elder (c1850-1913) Coleraine  (Read 26558 times)

Offline ann elder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Finlay Elder (c1850-1913) Coleraine
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 July 13 01:32 BST (UK) »
ev. Matthew Elder (Kilraughts) born 1767 Garvagh, Co. Derry. Brother Henry Elder(Faughanvale) and half-brother James Elder (Finvoy- known as 'Gun of the Gospel'). Another brother was Robert (died 1842 age 69). do u know if robert had any children

Rev. James Elder (Finvoy) born 25 Dec.1757 Bellury near Garvagh and died 4 Nov.1843. Wife Jane died 21 Feb.1829 age 70. Three children- James, Jane & Maria who died in infancy.

Coleraine Chronicle, 15 Aug.1846: On the 7th inst., in the Presbyterian Church of Kilraughts, by the Rev. John Alexander, of Ballyrashane, Thomas G. Elder, Esq., of Pine Hill, in the parish of Kilraughts, to Margaret, youngest daughter of the late George White, Esq., of Cave Hill, in the parish of Carnmoney.

Coleraine Chronicle, 2 Oct.1852: At Pinehill, on the 24th ult., the wife of Mr. Thomas Elder, of Pinehill, of a son.
Me again, Aghadowey!
At risk of making a complete nuisance of myself, could I try and clear up something with you, please?

I have unearthed a photocopied Fasti page (from PRONI) which details Rev Matthew & Rev Henry Elder as brothers, and sons of Matthew Elder, a farmer near Garvagh.  This must be the Rev Matthew you refer to as the dates match: 1767-1827.
Rev James Elder, however, is quoted in this same document as the 1st son of John Elder, farmer, Ballury, Garvagh.  Again, I know it's the same James Elder because the dates match.
Which means this Matthew Elder and this Rev James "Gunner" Elder couldn't have been half-brothers.
So, I'm wondering if I've got the right Matthew Elder for Adelaide's grandfather?
Am I missing something really obvious and being an idiot? (not beyond the realms of possibility, I have to admit!)
Would your sources be able to shed any more light?
As always, I am so grateful for your help.
Gail

Offline ann elder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 July 13 22:46 BST (UK) »
hi  do u know i the robert elder had any children :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 July 13 23:14 BST (UK) »
hi  do u know i the robert elder had any children :)

I think this is the only Robert Elder mentioned in this topic-
Rev. Matthew Elder (Kilraughts) born 1767 Garvagh, Co. Derry. Brother Henry Elder(Faughanvale) and half-brother James Elder (Finvoy- known as 'Gun of the Gospel'). Another brother was Robert (died 1842 age 69).

Is that the Robert Elder you are asking about? If so, he had at least one son.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ann elder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 27 July 13 22:54 BST (UK) »
thanks i think that might be a different line my ggg grandfather was matthew born 1825 approx son robert cant seem to get any further back matthews father i think was james born around the 1790 al  lived round the finvoy direction    any suggestions

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 28 July 13 08:40 BST (UK) »
There is a death registration for a Matthew Elder, age 70, in 1896 Ballymoney district- is this your Matthew?

Since Matthew would have married after the start of civil registration (1845 for non-Catholic marriages) then his marriage certificate would list his father's name and occupation.

To research the family properly you need to know where they lived (townland) not just 'Finvoy area'.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ann elder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 July 13 23:34 BST (UK) »
yes thats my ggggrandfather he lived in claughey  he was married to a maryjane mcelroy in 1851 and his father was james i dont know anything about james of if he was related to that minister in finvoy?

Offline ann elder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 29 July 13 23:24 BST (UK) »
yes thats my ggggrandfather he lived in claughey  he was married to a maryjane mcelroy in 1851 and his father was james i dont know anything about james of if he was related to that minister in finvoy?

Offline Belfast Gail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 21:56 BST (UK) »
I have been watching your posts with interest, but I think perhaps your line, Anne, is a different one to mine.  I have checked through my records and can find no mention of a Matthew Elder, son of Robert. 
If the information was readily available I have no doubt Aghadowey would be straight on it!
You could look at the comprehensive piece of work at: http://www.familytrail.com/elder/YahooFiles/A.Craig.Elder.pdf
and I have found Nancy Elder Petersen to be extremely knowledgeable and approachable. Her address is: nancyelderpeterson@yahoo.com.  She is host for the Elder Surname DNA project, and I came across her just on the internet.
Maybe you will find something that ties in with your search on their sites.  I do hope so. 
I am sorry I can't be of more help to you.
Gail  :)
Moorhead - Carnew, Lisnaward & Garvaghy
Barron - Lisnaward
Hay - Coleraine
Elder - Ballymoney, Coleraine, Portstewart
Kennedy - Coleraine & Knock, Belfast
Stevenson - Surrey
Mack & Mussen - Lisburn

Offline ann elder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 23:42 BST (UK) »
thanks anyway gail i will keep plodding on a long slow process this bbut i do enjoy   ann