Author Topic: Llansannan/Llannefydd - Williams marriage  (Read 6093 times)

Offline ondis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Llansannan/Llannefydd - Williams marriage
« on: Thursday 16 May 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,
        I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could lookup the details of the following marriage:
Robert Williams to an Elizabeth

Robert was probably born in Llannefydd in 1788 while Elizabeth was born in 1789 or 1790 in Llansannan according to census returns - hence I imagine they got married around 1810 in Llansannan (bride's home parish + near where the couple later lived) - though couldn't rule out Llannefydd. The earliest child I know of for them though was born in 1820 (but that is due to there being quite a large gap between ~1810 and 1841) - so the marriage could date right up to that time.

(Thanks!)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llansannan/Llannefydd - Williams marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
There's a Robert Williams, bachelor of Llanefydd, marriage to an Elizabeth Williams, spinster of Llansannan, at Llansannan on 5 March 1814, by banns with consent of parents.

Witnesses: ? Williams and Edward Roberts. All 4 signed x.

Deirdre

Edited to add: perhaps the wrong one as they'd be a bit old to need consent to marry wouldn't they?  ???
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline ondis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 May 13 20:04 BST (UK) »
wow brilliant, that was very quick, thanks!

hmm yes, that is an odd feature considering, but ...Marmaduke in this thread seems to know of at least one similar case where the couple were of age: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,630956.0.html

will have to look into that...that wedding record is otherwise a perfect match (thanks again!)

erm it doesn't happen to name any of the parents does it? (I've identified possible parents for Robert in the Llannefydd registers)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 May 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
No parents sorry, only the couple and the witnesses.

Found a few baptisms if they're any good... given the Ellis baptism, maybe Ellis is the witness I couldn't read....

Ellis 2 Apr 1820; labourer, abode: Hafod yn Haidd
Robert 6 Oct 1822; labourer, abode: ?
John 29 May 1825; labourer, abode: Clwf Crygor(?)
Elizabeth 14 Oct 1827; labourer, abode: Waen Isa Las
Margaret 18 Sep 1832; labourer, Clwf Crygor (? maybe Clwt Crygor)

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 May 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
Have you found Elizabeth any later than 1841 census, as ages were rounded up to nearest 5.

Offline ondis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 May 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
ah yes, those are the five children I know of\suspected. There's quite a gap between 1814 and 1820 and I had thought that maybe one of their older children would be named after Robert's father, who I think may be a William (mother=Jane) (the less likely possibility is Robert (mother=Elin).

On the 1851 census, Robert was 63 and Elizabeth 61 - I think the area they were living in was missed for 1861, and she was probably dead by 1871.

hmm Ellis is a common name in this family so you may have found a link...there weren't any Ellis Williams's baptised in Llannefydd between 1754 and 1812 though - there is an 'Elias' Williams, son of Thomas and Jane (baptised 1782) who might be a candidate.

Could be so kind as to look into whether there are any baptisms for this couple between ~1814 and 1820 in Llannefydd? (also, how is possible to obtain copies of parish registers after 1812? I've not seen where it is possible to buy them!)

Offline ondis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 May 13 23:17 BST (UK) »
OH! do those baptism records have Elizabeth's maiden name as Williams? That would give a strong indication that you found the right marriage record.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 May 13 11:42 BST (UK) »
Maiden names not given sorry.

I looked through the Llansannan baptism registers from the date of the wedding and there were none before the Ellis one in 1820 which does seem a bit strange. Will look for Llanefydd asap.

Registers available on Find My Past...

Deirdre

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 May 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Just one baptism for Robert and Elizabeth that I could see at Llannefydd... Catherine 22 Jan 1815, Robert a labourer, abode: Tan-y-fron

Deirdre