Author Topic: BASSANO (ALL) England and Italy  (Read 7495 times)

Offline Gaye

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
BASSANO (ALL) England and Italy
« on: Friday 10 June 05 06:53 BST (UK) »
the Bassano family began its genealogical legacy courtesy
of Henry VIII who invited 5 brothers then working for the Doge in Venetia to come to the royal court as musicians.  This was 1530's - thereupon successive generations married well and spawned a wonderful family tree.   My tree holds all know thus far - and I am very very interested to add the side-lined females who married and therefore took other surnames. 

Please share if you have even only one BASSANO in your tree - and I shall in turn do likewise.

Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spammingBest wishes
 :)

GAYE - NEW ZEALAND
Bassano: (ALL areas)
Drake: London, Essex, Kent
Hawkins: Shoreditch, Hackney, Essex
Meaney: Co Cork - London
Morrison: Scotland-Canada-New Zealand

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: BASSANO (ALL) England and Italy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 December 08 08:08 GMT (UK) »
hi , i am sure i saw a family history or booklet in google books . bassano1841-75. in India
i got the distinct idea they were British.i thought there was someone i knew looking for them but can't remember who. maybe you will get something out of it . Jan
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Gaye

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 December 08 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan  :)

Thanks for your helpful thought - I do have that book and yes they were British
by then of course...original family arriving in 1500's courtesy of Henry VIII as musicians to the court.

Best regards,
GAYE

Offline sylvanie201

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 April 13 21:10 BST (UK) »
My 10th g-grandmother was Elizabeth BASSANO Lupo Chandler, b. England ca. 1597; d. Elizabeth City, Virginia, ca. 1635. She was reportedly from a Venetian family of court musicians, as was her 1st husband, Albiano Lupo, who died before she married my 10th g-grandfather, John Chandler, of England and Jamestown, Virginia.

Offline Gaye

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 April 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvanie

Yes I see your 10th GGrandmother features in the Lupo Tree as wife of Albanus marriage prior to emigrating to Virginia. 

There's been no record found yet however that she was a Bassano
- but for myself, I think a good contender would be Elizabeth Bassano (St Leonards Baptism Index 1558-1640 Elizabeth Bassano dau of Jeronimo Bassano 8 JUN 1600) 
Daughter of Jeronimo Bassano 1559-1635 and his wife Dorothy Symonds 1563-
Sister of Augustine Bassano; Scipio Bassano; Charles Bassano; Edward Bassano; Frances (Metcalf); Nowell Bassano; Margaret Bassano; Jeronimo Bassano; Henry Bassano; Philadelphia Bassano and Anne (King)
Her brother Nowell's son is recorded as helping an errant nephew emigrate to Virginia under the watchful eye of an eminent Merchant in Virginia in 1682

What sources do you have for claiming she was a Bassano?

Best wishes
GAYE

Offline sylvanie201

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 April 13 00:51 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I don't have any hard evidence - and I should have said so...Whether Elizabeth Lupo was born a Bassano is, as far as I know, still a theory based on some research by Glenn J. Hill.  He apparently found a record of a marriage between the Lupo and Bassano families in the generation previous to Elizabeth's, and noted that family members worked together, and lived in the same area of London, and *probably* shared Venetian Jewish ancestry.
I usually add "unconfirmed" or "speculative" to anything I have no documentation for, but I slipped up this time!  :-\
Thank you, Gaye!

Offline Gaye

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 April 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
It would be great to have something concrete to connect this 'Elizabeth Lupo' to the Bassano tree for sure.
And you are right - there's another Bassano-Lupo marriage which links the families
Laura Bassano b.abt 1540 Daughter of Alvise / Alvixe Bassano and Johane Bassano 
Sister of Augustine Bassano; Ludovico Bassano; Zacharius Bassano and Julius Bassano
Wife of Joseph Lupo 1538-1616 (son of Ambrose and Lucia, brother of Peter Lupo)
Mother of Thomas Lupo; Bridget Lupo; Horatio Lupo; Joseph Lupo and Theophilus Lupo

Joseph Lupo: Admitted to the musicians guild in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1557. Musician in the court string consort 1563 - 1616.

Joseph, turns up in British State papers beginning in 1563, was living in Blackfriars, London in 1571, and listed as a Venetian on a return of Strangers dated that year

Joseph and Peter were two of four Lupos listed among the six violinists who played at the funeral of Queen Elizabeth in 1603

The augmentation and crest granted to the Lupos contains four Tudor roses (i.e. white over red), signifying service under Henry, Edward, Mary and Elizabeth and is a testement to their long years of service to the English royal family. This service extended into the Stuart dynasty, in the personages of Joseph's sons Thomas, Sr. and Horatio, and Peter's son Thomas, Jr.

Would be so nice if your lineage from the original Bassano brothers was as clean cut as mine!
But such is genealogy - always a new puzzle to put together!
Best wishes
GAYE

Offline sylvanie201

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 April 13 19:49 BST (UK) »
I do hope a missing puzzle piece for Elizabeth turns up! I'm grateful for your information and I'll add it to my notes. Maybe one of my descendants will be able to fit together a real connection someday :)

Thank you so much, Gaye!

As a side note, I have an uncle by marriage - Michael Meaney - who married my widowed ggg-aunt, Elizabeth Danaher O'Connell. She was from County Limerick, and spent 15 years in London before emigrating to the States. His origins are still mysterious; I only know he was born in Ireland before the Famine...

Offline kc123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 February 20 22:39 GMT (UK) »
I've found an additional couple of documents in my search. I'm trying to verify them with photocopied documents. If/when I get those, I will upload them. But maybe some of these names will help in the search The will of Antonio Bassano (married to Elena (Ellyna, Ellena) DeNazzi. He was one of five sons of Jeronimo Bassano. Their son, Edmond married Alice Austen. They had 11 children. 2 survived the plague outbreak in England around 1615 (I think it was smallpox but not sure).  One of those 2 was Elizabeth Bassano.

Please understand I'm not sure about all of these accounts but I thought I would put it out there in case anyone has relevant information. Please pardon any errors.